Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Game Shows and Friends  (Read 7952 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Game Shows and Friends
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2011, 11:03:15 PM »
[quote name=\'trainman\' post=\'256406\' date=\'Feb 4 2011, 07:45 PM\']I can see why you'd be confused, but one involves cartoon characters doing and saying silly things for the amusement of children and those with child-like minds.

The other is a compilation of animated Warner Bros. shorts.[/quote]
Hi-yo!
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Matt Ottinger

Game Shows and Friends
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2011, 11:35:47 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'256407\' date=\'Feb 4 2011, 11:03 PM\'][quote name=\'trainman\' post=\'256406\' date=\'Feb 4 2011, 07:45 PM\']I can see why you'd be confused, but one involves cartoon characters doing and saying silly things for the amusement of children and those with child-like minds.

The other is a compilation of animated Warner Bros. shorts.[/quote]Hi-yo![/quote]
Actually, I think it's more "In your pants!"

As to the OP, my friends know I like game shows, so it doesn't surprise them that I talk about game shows from time to time.  More often than not, they've seen or heard something and actively seek out my opinion.  Can't tell you how many times the whole Ken vs the Computer thing has come up in the last month.  I know better than to talk only about game shows, or to turn every discussion into a discussion of game shows.  That's why I HAVE friends.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Game Shows and Friends
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2011, 11:40:05 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'256408\' date=\'Feb 4 2011, 08:35 PM\']I know better than to talk only about game shows, or to turn every discussion into a discussion of game shows.  That's why I HAVE friends.[/quote]Or as I like to say, "Nobody gives a [darn] about your level seventeen Paladin."

I've been asking her to write them down so I can try to find some support online, but she either says "I'll do it sometime" or gets angry.
When I talk to people about my passions and my hobbies, I can usually pick up on social cues and things that will let me know if they're interested or not. When they aren't, I have enough sense not to press the issue. Your mom is throwing off a neon red "DO NOT CARE" sign, and you're not seeing it.
Travis L. Eberle

Johnissoevil

Game Shows and Friends
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2011, 05:55:23 PM »
I've had those occassions where my friends and I would talk mostly about the more well known shows, like Wheel, Price, J!, Feud, PYL, Millionaire, etc.  Whenever one of them brings up something obscure and has the facts wrong on who hosted or whatever, I hide my geekiness by either keeping my mouth shut or agree with them.  One friend brought up actor Ken Berry once, and one remark made was "Wasn't he the guy who hosted the show with the slots?"  I'd reply with "Yeah, I think so, been a long ass time."
In loving memory of my father, Curtis Fenner 4/29/44-8/13/15

Jeremy Nelson

Game Shows and Friends
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2011, 06:39:54 PM »
[quote name=\'Johnissoevil\' post=\'256451\' date=\'Feb 5 2011, 04:55 PM\']I've had those occassions where my friends and I would talk mostly about the more well known shows, like Wheel, Price, J!, Feud, PYL, Millionaire, etc.  Whenever one of them brings up something obscure and has the facts wrong on who hosted or whatever, I hide my geekiness by either keeping my mouth shut or agree with them.  One friend brought up actor Ken Berry once, and one remark made was "Wasn't he the guy who hosted the show with the slots?"  I'd reply with "Yeah, I think so, been a long ass time."[/quote]
Usually, I'll make the correction, but in an "I'm probably guessing" fashion, not the matter-of-factly fanboy way.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Game Shows and Friends
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2011, 08:40:02 PM »
[quote name=\'Dan88\' post=\'256442\' date=\'Feb 5 2011, 01:40 PM\']We had a good laugh at this -- she does care, but those memories are things she simply can't write down. She has to verbally recount them, because that's how her mind works.[/quote]And you believed her? That's so cute!

(I refuse to believe that somebody can't write down something on the tip of her tongue and that he absolutely 100% has to say it aloud.)

[quote name=\'Jeremy Nelson\' post=\'256455\' date=\'Feb 5 2011, 03:39 PM\']Usually, I'll make the correction, but in an "I'm probably guessing" fashion, not the matter-of-factly fanboy way.[/quote]There's a way to be matter-of-fact about something while not being a dink about it.
Travis L. Eberle

Adam Nedeff

Game Shows and Friends
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2011, 10:55:58 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'256408\' date=\'Feb 5 2011, 12:35 AM\']I know better than to talk only about game shows, or to turn every discussion into a discussion of game shows.  That's why I HAVE friends.[/quote]
This. I once had a co-worker who would reply to any statement with a quote from an old, OLD movie that nobody had heard of...followed by asking if we had heard of it...followed by reciting trivia about the movie that none of us had ever heard of. While in the break room one day, somebody actually said to him, "I'm tired of listening to your voice" and turned the volume on the TV to full blast, and he STILL didn't take the hint.

My co-workers know I have a website and they know I have a massive collection of DVDs and memorabilia, but I don't bring up game shows unless somebody else brings it up first. Having said that...yes, I've done the trick I did for Conan O'Brien for every co-worker.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 11:41:09 PM by Adam Nedeff »

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Game Shows and Friends
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2011, 07:00:32 AM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'256459\' date=\'Feb 5 2011, 08:40 PM\'][quote name=\'Dan88\' post=\'256442\' date=\'Feb 5 2011, 01:40 PM\']We had a good laugh at this -- she does care, but those memories are things she simply can't write down. She has to verbally recount them, because that's how her mind works.[/quote]And you believed her? That's so cute!

(I refuse to believe that somebody can't write down something on the tip of her tongue and that he absolutely 100% has to say it aloud.)[/quote]And with that comment, I see Dan went and pulled a Ricci by deleting his previous comments from the thread.  Too bad they were already quoted, Danny Boy.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

BrandonFG

Game Shows and Friends
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2011, 11:31:49 AM »
[quote name=\'Adam Nedeff\' post=\'256467\' date=\'Feb 5 2011, 10:55 PM\']Having said that...yes, I've done the trick I did for Conan O'Brien for every co-worker.[/quote]
That's just a quirky little trick. That's different than interjecting your knowledge of any genre into every single conversation. Most of us here know when to use either...
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Ian Wallis

Game Shows and Friends
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2011, 01:53:34 PM »
but I don't bring up game shows unless somebody else brings it up first.

Same here.  My family and friends realize my love for the genre, but it's not a topic of discussion very often.  What I can't get though it that a couple of them don't like game shows at all.  That puzzles me.  I can understand not being as fanatical as I am, but most people would watch in passing or have some sort of interest when a big new show came on.  I've got one friend who doesn't even know who Bob Eubanks is.  For some reason his name came up in a conversation on New Year's Eve, and this particular friend didn't know who he was, which surprised me.

Oh well...his loss I guess :)
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
Game Shows and Friends
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2011, 03:43:34 PM »
And with that comment, I see Dan went and pulled a Ricci by deleting his previous comments from the thread. Too bad they were already quoted, Danny Boy.
I'm not "pulling a Ricci". She told me I shouldn't have brought her up in this conversation, and on top of that I didn't like people assuming lies, so I removed all mentions.

Now, I would appreciate it if we could drop this subject in favor of the actual topic at hand. (And my apologies for dragging it off slightly.)
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 04:38:06 AM by Dan88 »
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...

pacdude

Game Shows and Friends
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2011, 04:41:24 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' post=\'256505\' date=\'Feb 6 2011, 01:53 PM\']I've got one friend who doesn't even know who Bob Eubanks is.[/quote]

"You know… the guy from the old Newlywed game?"

I keep my love of game shows on my sleeve, but when it comes to the minutiae of game show trivia, I don't really flaunt it. Chances are, my co-workers don't know or don't care, and understanding how humans interact means that most of the time, conversation is a two-way street. They talk about things I like, I talk about things they like. Usually, that leads to great interactions.

Adam Nedeff

Game Shows and Friends
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2011, 08:15:23 PM »
[quote name=\'Dan88\' post=\'256518\' date=\'Feb 6 2011, 03:43 PM\']Now, I would appreciate it if we wouldn't speak of this again so we can get back to the topic.[/quote]
Oh good. This always works.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 08:22:04 PM by Adam Nedeff »

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
Game Shows and Friends
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2011, 08:34:34 PM »
[quote name=\'Dan88\' post=\'256518\' date=\'Feb 6 2011, 03:43 PM\']Now, I would appreciate it if we wouldn't speak of this again so we can get back to the topic.[/quote]
Welcome to Off-Topic Thread II: Off Harder

/Not really
This signature is currently under construction.

alfonzos

Game Shows and Friends
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2011, 08:39:48 PM »
My enjoyment of the genre is well-known to anyone who has known me for any length of time. I have learned to wait until the other party brings up the subject before engaging in conversation.
A Cliff Saber Production
email address: alfonzos@aol.com
Boardgame Geek user name: alfonzos