Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 10 Things game shows won't tell you  (Read 3377 times)

Otm Shank

10 Things game shows won't tell you
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2011, 01:20:04 AM »
Someone got paid to write that? And why am I stuck in my dead-end career instead of getting paid for churning out stuff like this. Where to start?

When discussing the tax implications, the author ends with "Net loss: $414.95." Uh, we know what you meant to say, but what you said is that a $10,000 winner is taxed $10,414.95. Plus, if you need TurboTax to e-file a state simple return (i.e., simple income in a nonresident state), you deserve to be out $40.

Paraphrasing, "you are a poor money manager" is a reason? Seriously?

As for the taxed-value on a prize: A couple of years ago -- uh, closer to 15 years, wow -- I had a discussion on the job with someone whose wife was on Wheel of Fortune. She won a motorhome, which she sold in the same tax year. She paid taxes on the resale value. I don't recall anything about her having to go to tax court.

Bright colors are BAD, BAD, BAD for TV. Bold colors good, bright is bad. They could've spent some more time on the clothing you shouldn't wear: no tight patterns like herringbone, for one.

I know this one is a quote, but they chose to run it: "People who do one time on a lark, that's the odd case." Riiiight, it is so odd to see contestants that are not from Southern California. Yes, there are professional contestants, but I don't see it being so widespread like that, especially since there is a wait period between game show appearances.

#1 and #9 are so close, they could become one. I could go on -- like George Carlin's sketch merging and eliminating the 10 Commandments to one -- but I think we've all done that already.

AND -- I see they already had to edit the article to be a little more accurate with the tax-bracket explanation.

Sheeh! Who edits this stuff?

J.R.

« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2011, 01:28:45 AM »
Isn't there a fairly healthy "professional game show contestant" circuit running throughout the UK?

I know I read somewhere about a guy whose been on like 20 game shows there. David, his name.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 01:29:08 AM by J.R. »
-Joe Raygor

dale_grass

« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2011, 08:28:56 AM »
[quote name=\'Otm Shank\' post=\'255936\' date=\'Jan 30 2011, 01:20 AM\']#1 and #9 are so close, they could become one. I could go on -- like George Carlin's sketch merging and eliminating the 10 Commandments to one -- but I think we've all done that already.[/quote]
Actually, down to 2: "Thou shalt always be honest and faithful to the provider of thy nookie" and "Thou shalt try real hard not to kill anyone, unless of course
they pray to a different invisible man than you."

golden-road

« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2011, 09:08:53 AM »
[quote name=\'J.R.\' post=\'255938\' date=\'Jan 30 2011, 02:28 AM\']Isn't there a fairly healthy "professional game show contestant" circuit running throughout the UK?

I know I read somewhere about a guy whose been on like 20 game shows there. David, his name.[/quote]

Rev. David Smith

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2011, 10:49:18 AM »
[quote name=\'J.R.\' post=\'255938\' date=\'Jan 30 2011, 01:28 AM\']Isn't there a fairly healthy "professional game show contestant" circuit running throughout the UK?[/quote]
Japan has this to some extent as well.  Back when civilian quizzes were still en vogue, there was a bit of this, and the celeb shows now do tend to cycle through a set of familiars.

Heck, I'd wager 1/4-1/2 of any given Ninja Warrior field are returning players.
This signature is currently under construction.