Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Match Game name light  (Read 1302 times)

James

Match Game name light
« on: January 28, 2011, 11:14:03 PM »
Hi all,

Long time reader, first time poster.  I have been hosting some homemade Match Game episodes with friends the last few weeks and want to kick it up a notch.  Does anyone have any inkling as to how one could make a (cheap) version of the nameplate light thing from Match Game?  Having researched the boards from 2005-current, the best I could find was someone stating there was a switch inside that triggered the light to come on when the card was inserted in the slot.  

I also must say that this is an awesome community to be a part of and my only regrets are not having made to SoCal for a Game Show Congress and being more involved here.

Thanks in advance for any and all answers/help/assistance/guidance/et.al.

James
Madison, WI (GO PACKERS!!)  :)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Match Game name light
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2011, 01:32:10 AM »
[quote name=\'James\' post=\'255821\' date=\'Jan 28 2011, 08:14 PM\']Does anyone have any inkling as to how one could make a (cheap) version of the nameplate light thing from Match Game?  Having researched the boards from 2005-current, the best I could find was someone stating there was a switch inside that triggered the light to come on when the card was inserted in the slot.[/quote]
Electrically, what you would do is rig up the circuit such that it triggered when the circuit was *broken*, and then rig up some kind of metal-tab-on-plate thing as part of the circuit that would then be broken when the card was slid between the two.

(The problem with this is that the light would then turn off again when the "star" pulled the card out to reveal their answer. There is probably some way to do it with relays such that once the light is on, it stays on until the circuit is reset, but I'm guessing at that point we're getting a fair amount more electronically complicated than you want.)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

whewfan

Match Game name light
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2011, 02:32:15 PM »
It's not electronic, but what I did 10 years ago when I put together my MG production was, I bought these clear plastic folders at a stationery store. I cut up 6 rectangles and glued them behind black posterboard. I told each panelist when they were done to place a white notecard behind the plastic, and it gave the illusion of "lighting up"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XRPTybornI

In case you're curious, look at this segment.

davemackey

Match Game name light
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2011, 06:59:03 AM »
Think like Ted Cooper, children...