Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Sony will control GSN with 40% "majority" share  (Read 3743 times)

Matt Ottinger

Sony will control GSN with 40% "majority" share
« on: July 05, 2011, 04:18:36 PM »
This story from just last week seems to have slipped by us.  Not sure what it means in the long term, but there's a reference to the continuing effort to make viewers over fifty appear relevant again, which of course would make GSN look a LOT better.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2011, 06:07:50 PM »
Maybe Sony can make more decisions on utilizing the game show library it has without the sayso of Direct TV.  Another thought is that after SoapNet goes off, they could move Sony-owned DOOL and Y&R same-day repurposes to GSN (thus a rebranding to Game Soap Network) to bring in young women demos in prime-time.  As long as it's mostly game shows, I wouldn't mind too much.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 06:18:41 PM by Jimmy Owen »
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2011, 06:32:57 PM »
Another thought is that after SoapNet goes off, they could move Sony-owned DOOL and Y&R same-day repurposes to GSN (thus a rebranding to Game Soap Network) to bring in young women demos in prime-time.  As long as it's mostly game shows, I wouldn't mind too much.
Approves

/you'll get some bites
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Mike Tennant

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2011, 08:40:27 PM »
Maybe Sony can make more decisions on utilizing the game show library it has without the sayso of Direct TV.  Another thought is that after SoapNet goes off, they could move Sony-owned DOOL and Y&R same-day repurposes to GSN (thus a rebranding to Game Soap Network) to bring in young women demos in prime-time.  As long as it's mostly game shows, I wouldn't mind too much.
Add some Merv or Mike Douglas reruns, and you could have a whole channel recreating the glory days of daytime TV.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2011, 03:11:24 AM »
Based on the March deal, the current value of GSN would be $1.2 billion.
Good gravy Marie.

any network that offers Richard Dawson in the morning has plenty of value.
Not $1.2 billion.

Jamey Greek

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2011, 02:36:53 PM »
tell you what, GSN should do something big for their 20th anniversary to also celebrate Sony fully owning them again.  Also, I won't be surprised if Bob Boden returns as president of GSN!

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2011, 04:14:08 PM »
tell you what, GSN should do something big for their 20th anniversary to also celebrate Sony fully owning them again.
40% ≠ 100%.  Numbers have meanings.

Also, I won't be surprised if Bob Boden returns as president of GSN!
I would.

Johnissoevil

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2011, 07:29:27 PM »
tell you what, GSN should do something big for their 20th anniversary to also celebrate Sony fully owning them again.  Also, I won't be surprised if Bob Boden returns as president of GSN!

The most the article said was that they want to become principal owners between 2012 and 2014, nothing about them buying the network back as a whole.  Principal ownership means anywhere between 51% and 99% ownership.  If it were full ownership, the article would've stated "sole owners."  As for Bob Boden, I don't see him returning, I imagine he's satisfied with his present job at the Hub.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 07:32:45 PM by Johnissoevil »
In loving memory of my father, Curtis Fenner 4/29/44-8/13/15

parliboy

• Which of my enemies told you I was paranoid?
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2011, 08:22:05 PM »
Soaps and old talk shows?  I do not totally hate.  Welcome to TDN, The Daytime Network!
"You're never ready, just less unprepared."

Jamey Greek

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2011, 09:50:29 PM »

The most the article said was that they want to become principal owners between 2012 and 2014, nothing about them buying the network back as a whole.  Principal ownership means anywhere between 51% and 99% ownership.  If it were full ownership, the article would've stated "sole owners."  As for Bob Boden, I don't see him returning, I imagine he's satisfied with his present job at the Hub.

The Hub is in debt right now.  So their future is uncertain.

BrandonFG

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2011, 10:52:37 PM »
The Hub is in debt right now.  So their future is uncertain.
Most companies don't see the black for a few years. It is uncertain, but I wouldn't use that to get your hopes up about him returning to GSN.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!