Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Broadcasting Magazine  (Read 197559 times)

Matt Ottinger

Re: Broadcasting Magazine
« Reply #510 on: August 16, 2017, 09:18:27 PM »
though Studs was also up among kids and teens 2-17

I am amused at the thought of a two-year-old watching Freakin' Studs.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

BrandonFG

« Reply #511 on: August 16, 2017, 10:12:17 PM »
Love Connection and Studs were duking it out for relationship show supremacy in late 1991, and two dueling ads proved a point.

20th Century Fox proclaimed "'LOVE' LOST" on pages 32-33 in the November 25, 1991 issue, showing that Studs surpassed LC in the 18-34 and 19-49 demos.
Something else I found interesting in that issue...on page 26, there's a blurb about King World considering Hollywood Squares for fall 1992. Obviously, that wouldn't happen for a few more years, but I didn't realize they had been considering it that early (remember the aborted Planet Hollywood Squares concept with Roseanne?). IIRC, Marc Summers was also considered as a host before Tom Bergeron.

Also: said blurb incorrectly notes that a prior version ran from 1980-86.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Scrabbleship

« Reply #512 on: August 16, 2017, 10:41:42 PM »
Love Connection and Studs were duking it out for relationship show supremacy in late 1991, and two dueling ads proved a point.

20th Century Fox proclaimed "'LOVE' LOST" on pages 32-33 in the November 25, 1991 issue, showing that Studs surpassed LC in the 18-34 and 19-49 demos.

There's a blurb of interest on page 26 about King World buying the rights to Hollywood Squares from Orion and their interest in launching a new version for syndication for 1992-93. Given the stage of the genre, would pursuing it have stopped the bleeding or have hurt the franchise?

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #513 on: August 16, 2017, 10:59:36 PM »
though Studs was also up among kids and teens 2-17

I am amused at the thought of a two-year-old watching Freakin' Studs.

Never mind that, I wasn't even aware that was a targeted demographic.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

johnnya2k3

« Reply #514 on: August 16, 2017, 11:07:22 PM »
That same 11/25/91 issue on pages 2-3 also had a Love Connection ad, comparing Studs' ratings from 4.8 that July to 4.0 ("One Night Stand?") to LC's 3.9 from November 1983 to 4.8 in November '91 ("Lasting Love").

(I forgot to mention that in the "Love Lost" ad, Love Connection had an 11 share among adults over 50 to Studs' 3.)

/And somewhat related...there was also a two-pager for Vicki Lawrence's talk show which debuted the following fall; they even boasted her Q Score being higher than Oprah, Donahue, Geraldo, Sally Jessy Raphael, and even Maury Povich.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 12:03:31 PM by johnnya2k3 »

PYLdude

« Reply #515 on: August 16, 2017, 11:45:05 PM »
Maury Povich on the front page, back when his show was much more than paternity tests.

I notice Paramount isn't as aggressive pushing their stuff, other than that.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

johnnya2k3

« Reply #516 on: August 17, 2017, 12:27:30 PM »
Pages 95, 99, 103, 107, and 111 from December 3, 1984 showed Every Second Counts doing quite well in Washington, Detroit, Seattle, Indianapolis, and Los Angeles respectively...but as brought up numerous times before, those numbers -- as well as lack of clearances in New York, Dallas, Boston, Philadelphia, Atlanta, Phoenix, and several other major markets (though it did clear Chicago, Houston, Cleveland, and San Francisco) -- weren't enough to be renewed.

And going back five years earlier: November 12, 1979 and a Play The Percentages ad which had over 30 markets signing up for it as production would be underway days later, followed by another for Bert Convy's talk show also from Barry & Enright...which, unfortunately, went unsold.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 12:32:54 AM by johnnya2k3 »

aaron sica

« Reply #517 on: August 18, 2017, 05:49:07 PM »
Pages 95, 99, 103, 107, and 111 from December 3, 1984 showed Every Second Counts doing quite well in Washington, Detroit, Seattle, Indianapolis, and Los Angeles respectively...but as brought up numerous times before, those numbers -- as well as lack of clearances in New York, Dallas, Boston, Philadelphia, Atlanta, Phoenix, and several other major markets (though it did clear Chicago, Houston, Cleveland, and San Francisco) -- weren't enough to be renewed.

And going back five years earlier: November 12, 1979 and a Play The Percentages ad which had over 30 markets signing up for it as production would be underway days later, followed by another for Bert Convy's talk show also from Barry & Enright...which, unfortunately, went unsold.

Why would you only link one, but not the other?

Jamey Greek

« Reply #518 on: September 05, 2017, 09:07:26 PM »

johnnya2k3

« Reply #519 on: September 05, 2017, 10:07:22 PM »
Brought it up before, but an ad for Peter Marshall's short-lived variety show on page 13, noting it cleared New York (WNEW, now WNYW), Los Angeles (KABC to go along with nighttime Hollywood Squares), and Chicago (WGN) (May 3, 1976): http://americanradiohistory.com/Archive-BC/BC-1976/1976-05-03-BC.pdf

/Atlanta, by the way, saw it on WXIA; they also had nighttime Squares at the time

PYLdude

« Reply #520 on: September 06, 2017, 11:36:52 PM »
Geez, Merv, we get it.

BrandonFG

« Reply #521 on: September 07, 2017, 01:03:30 AM »
Geez, Merv, we get it.
I noticed that seemed to be a trend in the issues of the era. I've seen several ads for the same show, on every other page, usually touting high ratings or new fall pickups for whatever affiliate.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

johnnya2k3

« Reply #522 on: September 07, 2017, 10:59:53 PM »
I noticed that seemed to be a trend in the issues of the era. I've seen several ads for the same show, on every other page, usually touting high ratings or new fall pickups for whatever affiliate.
And sometimes, those "#1 in (insert number of markets)!" or "Now sold in..." can get pretty tiresome, but at least it got the message.

Speaking of the former...pages 8-9 (December 3, 1990) showed Family Feud (Combs) dominant among women 18-49 in Washington, San Francisco, Baltimore, Philadelphia, and Dallas, but #2 in Atlanta (behind Entertainment Tonight of course)...and they all beat Wheel and Jeopardy!

Pages 41-42, by the way, had an ad for the syndicated Scrabble with Steve Edwards that wasn't to be; no need to explain what would happen a few years later.

/As for game shows among men 18-49 at the time...I would assume American Gladiators was tops, though for all shows, Star Trek: The Next Generation still ruled.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 11:13:51 PM by johnnya2k3 »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #523 on: September 07, 2017, 11:12:21 PM »
For a couple of years now, Steve Harvey's Feud has been #1 among females...in the 25-54s

So the ladies like dick jokes, do they?

/will let y'all know how it works out
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

BrandonFG

« Reply #524 on: September 08, 2017, 02:05:38 AM »
And sometimes, those "#1 in (insert number of markets)!" or "Now sold in..." can get pretty tiresome, but at least it got the message.
Eh...they don't bother me too much. I've always been fascinated by what station in whatever market aired whichever show, and would always keep an eye out for my own hometown. The recurring ads remind me of billboards on the highway, when you see one for the same store or restaurant every several miles.

/South of the Border FTW
//Big Dick's Halfway Inn FTMFL