Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Broadcasting Magazine  (Read 197303 times)

BrandonFG

Re: Broadcasting Magazine
« Reply #585 on: November 07, 2017, 05:00:17 PM »
I just don't buy the idea that LBS and/or Goodson still had restrictions on timeslots like the 1985 syndie PIR did. If I'm wrong, then I'm wrong, but I would figure by then they'd have realized their error.
Why would that be an error, though? If you have TPiR on CBS at 11, then Kennedy's (half-hour version) airing on your NBC affiliate at 12:30 pm, you might have quite a few folks confused. Now, imagine the same thing happening with Wheel, $ale, or Pyramid, where you had the same host in daytime and evenings, but airing only an hour or two apart, and with serious budget differences.

Granted, 1985 television is a lot different with networks having a more concrete daytime schedule, so therefore, my "Price at 12:30" scenario is obviously not as plausible, but the restriction makes sense, IMO.

ETA: There's also the idea that, if I'm Mark Goodson or Merv Griffin, I don't wanna risk having my show air in direct competition to the same show on another station, or at an adjacent time slot.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 05:24:45 PM by BrandonFG »
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

gamed121683

« Reply #586 on: November 07, 2017, 05:32:06 PM »
You're right. Preview. Now I hear the theme song playing in my head. :)

Ditto! Wasn't Chuck Henry a host on that show?

BrandonFG

« Reply #587 on: November 07, 2017, 05:39:10 PM »
You're right. Preview. Now I hear the theme song playing in my head. :)

Ditto! Wasn't Chuck Henry a host on that show?
I believe so.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
« Reply #588 on: November 07, 2017, 06:19:38 PM »
If you have TPiR on CBS at 11, then Kennedy's (half-hour version) airing on your NBC affiliate at 12:30 pm, you might have quite a few folks confused.
"The Nighttime Price Is Right?! It's 12:30 in the afternoon!"
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #589 on: November 07, 2017, 07:05:26 PM »
I just don't buy the idea that LBS and/or Goodson still had restrictions on timeslots like the 1985 syndie PIR did. If I'm wrong, then I'm wrong, but I would figure by then they'd have realized their error.

I'm not sure why you decided to call such decisive BS on Jimmy's post. I think it was (and is) standard operating procedure not to have a syndicated version of the same show compete with the network version of said show. It might not have been LBS or Goodson's doing anyway - it could have been something with CBS (blocking out all the times their affiliates chose to air it).

-Jason

Considering the source of the info, I felt well within reason to call it.

Recent developments have shown me the haste I did so with, though.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #590 on: November 08, 2017, 05:34:38 AM »

I'm not sure why you decided to call such decisive BS on Jimmy's post. I think it was (and is) standard operating procedure not to have a syndicated version of the same show compete with the network version of said show. It might not have been LBS or Goodson's doing anyway - it could have been something with CBS (blocking out all the times their affiliates chose to air it).

-Jason

Considering the source of the info, I felt well within reason to call it.

Recent developments have shown me the haste I did so with, though.
. When it comes to facts, I do not put out intentially incorrect information.  Where people some times have an issue with me is my opinions, or conclusions drawn.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

aaron sica

« Reply #591 on: November 08, 2017, 09:41:25 AM »
With the limitations set, it's interesting to note that for a time, in Philadelphia, Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy ran against each other, with KYW airing Wheel (daytime) at 4pm, up against Jeopardy! on WPVI.

johnnya2k3

« Reply #592 on: November 08, 2017, 03:04:54 PM »
Combs syndicated Feud had trouble finding its footing in Fairbanks, Alaska; the then-new KFXF in 1992 — LBS was absorbed into All-American by that time — ran it at 7:30pm opposite Cheers reruns on KTVF (two years before they finally brought Jeopardy! there). A half-hour earlier, it was Wheel on 'TVF and the short-lived teen soap Swans Crossing — starring Sarah Michelle Gellar pre-Buffy (and now Foodstirs) — on 'FXF.

KFXF moved Feud to a daytime slot in 1994 when Dawson briefly returned.

/The ill-fated USA Today TV Show bit the dust in early 1990, by the way
//I don’t think that Preview show ever cleared Biloxi-Gulfport, Miss. (where I was living at the time) or New Orleans
« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 08:38:50 PM by johnnya2k3 »

aaron sica

« Reply #593 on: November 08, 2017, 03:33:03 PM »
KFXF moved Feud to a daytime slot in 1994 when Dawson briefly returned.

/The ill-fated USA Today TV Show bit the dust in early 1990, by the way

A similar thing happened in Philadelphia as well with Feud - once the CBS version was cancelled, WCAU moved "Family Feud" to 10:30am.

And as far as USA TODAY: The Television Show, thanks for the clarification - my mistake. It was immediately after that show tanked that WHTM in Harrisburg replaced it with Feud (January 1990).
« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 03:54:15 PM by aaron sica »

Ian Wallis

« Reply #594 on: November 08, 2017, 07:04:11 PM »
With the limitations set, it's interesting to note that for a time, in Philadelphia, Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy ran against each other, with KYW airing Wheel (daytime) at 4pm, up against Jeopardy! on WPVI.

I've heard it said that the Joker's Wild/Tic Tac Dough combo in the late '70s was almost as powerful (at least for a while) as Wheel and Jeopardy would become by the mid-80s, but in looking at old TVGuides, in many cities these shows didn't run on the same station.  In fact, in some areas they were on opposite each other, which I find surprising.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

aaron sica

« Reply #595 on: November 08, 2017, 09:41:45 PM »
I've heard it said that the Joker's Wild/Tic Tac Dough combo in the late '70s was almost as powerful (at least for a while) as Wheel and Jeopardy would become by the mid-80s, but in looking at old TVGuides, in many cities these shows didn't run on the same station.  In fact, in some areas they were on opposite each other, which I find surprising.

You know, I thought the same thing for a long time, that TTD/JW was what WOF and J! (or J! and WOF, depending on where you live, or maybe not even) is now. Like you, I found that wasn't the case. It was very rare that the shows shared the 7-8pm hour on one station.

BrandonFG

« Reply #596 on: November 08, 2017, 10:14:41 PM »
I've thought the same about the two shows being what Wheel and J! would later become. For a while in the early-80s, the two aired against one another in my market at 7:30, Tic Tac on WTKR, Joker on WAVY.

When Bill Cullen became the host, both shows moved to the 4:00 hour on WVEC.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #597 on: November 09, 2017, 12:14:10 AM »
I know for awhile in New York WOR had Joker and WPIX TTD. I know they both ended up on WOR together at some point (at the very least, the last two seasons for both) but I'm not certain as to how long. Joker eventually moved to WCBS as did TTD but I think TTD only did so later. I also think that WOR did carry them both during the 1980-81 season (I know WPIX was airing TTD as late as January 1980).
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

TimK2003

« Reply #598 on: November 09, 2017, 03:21:50 AM »
In Cleveland, WJ[K]W/channel 8 took TJW when the syndie version first came out.  WEWS/channel 5 took TTD to replace The Cross-Wits a year or two later.  I don't recall both of the B&E shows being on the same station.  Bullseye never cleared in CLE. 

WJ[K]W did get the rights to Hollywood Connection and later, Play The Percentages, FWIW.

aaron sica

« Reply #599 on: November 09, 2017, 07:41:22 AM »
In the Harrisburg area, TTD started out on WGAL upon its premiere, and JW on WHP a year earlier. When WGAL decided to go with a 7pm newscast in September 1980, WHP picked up TTD, but the two shows only aired in the 7:00 hour for a short time. with JW moving to the late afternoon in 1982 in favor of "Family Feud".