Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Broadcasting Magazine  (Read 197329 times)

johnnya2k3

Re: Broadcasting Magazine
« Reply #570 on: November 06, 2017, 12:42:40 AM »
In fact, wasn't the 90-91 season the start of the ratings downturn that would eventually cost Combs his job?
I think it was 91-92; Combs Feud was still the #3 game show behind Wheel and Jeopardy, but by then, Studs, American Gladiators, and even Hard Copy were already attracting more eyeballs in the 18-49s (Star Trek: TNG still led the demo), and Feud was losing in both that and 25-54s...not to mention being nowhere among the top 20 overall.

Compare that to when Dawson Feud started the 1980’s still #1 among all demos (18-49, 25-54, and even kids and teens (which has been absorbed into total households)), with Tic Tac Dough or PM Magazine at a cozy #2.

parliboy

• Which of my enemies told you I was paranoid?
« Reply #571 on: November 06, 2017, 03:08:02 AM »
(pages 56-57, October 15, 1990)

Wait... doesn’t this ad compare 1989 Feud to 1990 other things?  I’m not in industry, and I don’t have the history of reading this stuff that some of you guys do, but this comes off like a literal Apples-to-Oranges comparison.
"You're never ready, just less unprepared."

aaron sica

« Reply #572 on: November 06, 2017, 09:39:21 AM »
Besides, it's pretty common knowledge here that the rookie shows (including TRUMP* Card) flopped.
*Not a fan of the guy, but censoring his name in this context is just silly.

Yes, but the great Jonathan Allen is hopeful that there is one person that might not know, so that he can show off how much he (thinks) he knows.

And fully agreed on the censoring of the show, although I also agree with Mr. Eberle - asterisks in the entire post would also be an improvement.

Scrabbleship

« Reply #573 on: November 06, 2017, 01:13:40 PM »
In fact, wasn't the 90-91 season the start of the ratings downturn that would eventually cost Combs his job?
I think it was 91-92; Combs Feud was still the #3 game show behind Wheel and Jeopardy, but by then, Studs, American Gladiators, and even Hard Copy were already attracting more eyeballs in the 18-49s (Star Trek: TNG still led the demo), and Feud was losing in both that and 25-54s...not to mention being nowhere among the top 20 overall.

Compare that to when Dawson Feud started the 1980’s still #1 among all demos (18-49, 25-54, and even kids and teens (which has been absorbed into total households)), with Tic Tac Dough or PM Magazine at a cozy #2.

Didn't Combs Feud have a massive downgrade of timeslots come 91-92? I know some markets were airing it in odd time slots starting that year and the number of stations airing it in Access and Early Fringe tumbled never to recover.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #574 on: November 06, 2017, 02:04:27 PM »
There were a couple of things that caused downgradesof Feud in 88-89.  The show didn't live up to expectations in fall 88 and then LBS carved out an extra national :60 in place of fee plugs.  Stations got upset with the clutter and moved it to post-midnight slots.  When the replacement shows got about the same ratings, the stations slowly moved it back to better slots.  Remember, because of the CBS version, stations were limited to airing the show between 4pm and overnight.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 02:15:11 PM by Jimmy Owen »
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #575 on: November 06, 2017, 11:59:56 PM »
(pages 56-57, October 15, 1990)

Wait... doesn’t this ad compare 1989 Feud to 1990 other things?  I’m not in industry, and I don’t have the history of reading this stuff that some of you guys do, but this comes off like a literal Apples-to-Oranges comparison.

I think the point was that the stations that dropped Feud in favor of one of the new entries saw a dropoff in their numbers and the ones that kept it saw it continue to perform solidly.

There were a couple of things that caused downgradesof Feud in 88-89.  The show didn't live up to expectations in fall 88 and then LBS carved out an extra national :60 in place of fee plugs.  Stations got upset with the clutter and moved it to post-midnight slots.  When the replacement shows got about the same ratings, the stations slowly moved it back to better slots.  Remember, because of the CBS version, stations were limited to airing the show between 4pm and overnight.

Yeah, I call BS on a good two thirds of that. Especially the last one.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

tvmitch

« Reply #576 on: November 07, 2017, 07:07:59 AM »
I gave up trying to set up the quotes right for the previous comment there. The "after 4pm" for syndicated Feud, I do think that might have been a thing? In our market, the ABC affiliate had the show, and they aired it at 7pm. I believe the CBS affiliate in Philadelphia had the syndicated show also, and they aired it in access. Not 100% sure on this without cracking open some TV Guides.
You should follow me on Twitter

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #577 on: November 07, 2017, 07:14:09 AM »

Yeah, I call BS on a good two thirds of that. Especially the last one.

Here's a story from Broadcasting about the fee plug substitution from summer 89www.americanradiohistory.com/hd2/IDX-Business/Magazines/Archive-BC-IDX/89-OCR/BC-1989-07-03-OCR-Page-0023.pdf#search=%22family feud lbs%22
BC-1989-07-0
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

aaron sica

« Reply #578 on: November 07, 2017, 07:42:52 AM »
I gave up trying to set up the quotes right for the previous comment there. The "after 4pm" for syndicated Feud, I do think that might have been a thing? In our market, the ABC affiliate had the show, and they aired it at 7pm. I believe the CBS affiliate in Philadelphia had the syndicated show also, and they aired it in access. Not 100% sure on this without cracking open some TV Guides.

I'll help. :) WHTM aired the show at 7:30pm, from the time that USA Today's TV version tanked (early 1989?) up until fall of 1994, at 7:30pm. WCAU began airing the show from the outset, at 7pm. I believe in early 1991 it moved to 7:30, but found its way back to 7 not long after. Not sure how long WCAU aired it.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #579 on: November 07, 2017, 11:11:49 AM »

At first, WNBC carried it in access as well, opposite Wheel at 7:30.

I just don't buy the idea that LBS and/or Goodson still had restrictions on timeslots like the 1985 syndie PIR did. If I'm wrong, then I'm wrong, but I would figure by then they'd have realized their error.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

BrandonFG

« Reply #580 on: November 07, 2017, 11:19:38 AM »
I dunno how much this adds to Jimmy's comment, but I'll try to piggyback.

In 1990-91, there was an Entertainment Tonight-style show called Premiere that (I think) replaced Feud at 7 or 7:30 on WTKR. I'd have to look up some old microfiche*, but I was an avid Feud watcher back then, and remember being disappointed that a different show had replaced it.

Premiere was gone by that fall, and Feud returned to the 7:00 hour (I think it was at 7). So, I dunno if it aired in a different slot in early-1991, or if WTKR took it off temporarily.

*/What's a guy gotta do to get his local paper in the newspapers.com archive?
//Microfiche is soooooo 1993
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

aaron sica

« Reply #581 on: November 07, 2017, 12:07:30 PM »
In 1990-91, there was an Entertainment Tonight-style show called Premiere that (I think) replaced Feud at 7 or 7:30 on WTKR. I'd have to look up some old microfiche*, but I was an avid Feud watcher back then, and remember being disappointed that a different show had replaced it.

Premiere was gone by that fall, and Feud returned to the 7:00 hour (I think it was at 7). So, I dunno if it aired in a different slot in early-1991, or if WTKR took it off temporarily.

*/What's a guy gotta do to get his local paper in the newspapers.com archive?
//Microfiche is soooooo 1993

I believe the show you're talking about was "Preview" (the best of the new)....I remember them taking out an ad in TV Guide. Yeah, it didn't last long.

BrandonFG

« Reply #582 on: November 07, 2017, 12:37:37 PM »
You're right. Preview. Now I hear the theme song playing in my head. :)
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #583 on: November 07, 2017, 03:34:59 PM »
I just don't buy the idea that LBS and/or Goodson still had restrictions on timeslots like the 1985 syndie PIR did. If I'm wrong, then I'm wrong, but I would figure by then they'd have realized their error.

I'm not sure why you decided to call such decisive BS on Jimmy's post. I think it was (and is) standard operating procedure not to have a syndicated version of the same show compete with the network version of said show. It might not have been LBS or Goodson's doing anyway - it could have been something with CBS (blocking out all the times their affiliates chose to air it).

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #584 on: November 07, 2017, 03:46:35 PM »
I'm not sure why you decided to call such decisive BS on Jimmy's post. I think it was (and is) standard operating procedure not to have a syndicated version of the same show compete with the network version of said show. It might not have been LBS or Goodson's doing anyway - it could have been something with CBS (blocking out all the times their affiliates chose to air it).
At the very least, that's exactly how it worked for Wheel of Fortune or The Price is Right.
Travis L. Eberle