Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Broadcasting Magazine  (Read 197554 times)

BrandonFG

Re: Broadcasting Magazine
« Reply #540 on: September 27, 2017, 06:02:28 PM »
Correct. There was a clip of the game play posted here a couple years ago.

The show obviously flew under the radar (it doesn't even have a Wikipedia page), but I would be curious to know which stations aired it*. The trade ads don't say much.

*Being semi-rhetorical here...don't need a list. :P
« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 06:24:17 PM by BrandonFG »
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

gamed121683

« Reply #541 on: September 27, 2017, 08:51:59 PM »
Yeah, I always thought it was called That **** Quiz Show...and the only reason I've heard of this show is because I remember seeing as a question eons ago while playing the TV Edition of Trivial Pursuit.

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #542 on: September 27, 2017, 09:58:37 PM »
Back to the ads: In between Hollywood Squares and Fantasy, Peter Marshall pitched "Peter Marshall and the Big Band" for syndication (page 103, March 8, 1982); it got bupkis interest.
You're slipping. You completely missed "That Awful Quiz Show" on page 79. How can I trust you as a reliable source for these ads if you don't get all of them?
That Awful Quiz Show — which did get sold, by the way — lasted only 13 weeks and, yes, stood true to its title, so I didn’t even bother.

And both shows were by a syndicator that wasn’t Viacom, Worldvision (which were the biggies at the time), Group W, or the studios.

The batteries in your Klauss-Gibson need replaced.

johnnya2k3

« Reply #543 on: September 28, 2017, 03:40:50 PM »
D.L. Taffner was the syndicator for That Awful Quiz Show, though the company was better off raking in the millions with those Three’s Company/Too Close For Comfort reruns; Comworld handled Peter Marshall’s big band show, which went unsold.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 12:06:10 PM by johnnya2k3 »

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #544 on: September 28, 2017, 04:22:45 PM »
Until That Awful Quiz Show, the last game show that had two hosts was The Better Sex (Sarah Purcell and Bill Anderson); that didn’t last long either.

you're forgetting "Bedtime Stories" with Lohman and Barkley.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

BrandonFG

« Reply #545 on: September 28, 2017, 04:55:38 PM »
At this point, I think any criticism directed his way is going in one ear and out the other.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

johnnya2k3

« Reply #546 on: October 19, 2017, 12:11:24 PM »
Until That Awful Quiz Show, the last game show that had two hosts was The Better Sex (Sarah Purcell and Bill Anderson); that didn’t last long either.

you're forgetting "Bedtime Stories" with Lohman and Barkley.
Sorry about that; Better Sex was in 1977 followed by Bedtime Stories two years later...and both were better produced (by Goodson-Todman and Heatter-Quigley respectively) than That Awful Quiz Show.

aaron sica

« Reply #547 on: October 19, 2017, 12:23:13 PM »
At this point, I think any criticism directed his way is going in one ear and out the other.

You were saying? :)

Bobby B.

« Reply #548 on: October 19, 2017, 12:54:02 PM »
Yeah, I always thought it was called That **** Quiz Show...and the only reason I've heard of this show is because I remember seeing as a question eons ago while playing the TV Edition of Trivial Pursuit.

The EOTVGS had it listed under that title, and it has stood out in my mind all these years because of that.

BrandonFG

« Reply #549 on: October 19, 2017, 04:36:05 PM »

You were saying? :)
I know this board all too well. :P

With Name That Tune possibly coming back, wasn't there a B&C ad from the late-80s for the proposed Peter Allen version? I haven't seen anything in the David Gleason archives, but I know someone here mentioned an ad with Peter at his own special piano, and I always thought that sounded cool.

johnnya2k3

« Reply #550 on: October 20, 2017, 01:20:59 AM »
With Name That Tune possibly coming back, wasn't there a B&C ad from the late-80s for the proposed Peter Allen version? I haven't seen anything in the David Gleason archives, but I know someone here mentioned an ad with Peter at his own special piano, and I always thought that sounded cool.
I may have to look for that, but there was an ad from early 1985 saying that the Jim Lange NTT was slated to be renewed for Season 2 and under new producer Television Program Enterprises (TPE, meaning for Atlanta, it would’ve been moved from WXIA on Saturday nights to WSB, where Tom Kennedy’s version aired)...only to be pulled the plug after the immediate success of Jeopardy left that other newbie Anything For Money in the dust, and $100,000 Pyramid starting to get clearances left and right.

oaklandfan2kx

« Reply #551 on: October 20, 2017, 01:39:28 AM »
I may have to look for that, but there was an ad from early 1985 saying that the Jim Lange NTT was slated to be renewed for Season 2 and under new producer Television Program Enterprises (TPE, meaning for Atlanta, it would’ve been moved from WXIA on Saturday nights to WSB, where Tom Kennedy’s version aired)...only to be pulled the plug after the immediate success of Jeopardy left that other newbie Anything For Money in the dust, and $100,000 Pyramid starting to get clearances left and right.

Had it picked it up for Season 2 in My Market (San Francisco), It would've aired on KGO, so the Nighttime Version of The Price is Right (hosted by Tom Kennedy) could've picked up on KTVU (despite the station also aired the 1994 syndicated revival hosted by Doug Davidson from the CBS Soap Opera, The Young and the Restless) or if KTVU could've gone the other direction to pick up Season 2 of the $100,000 Name That Tune they could've join Star Search and Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous despite KTVU will pick up 3 shows from the TPE Stable while KGO wanted to get Tom Kennedy's Price is Right just like it did for real.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #552 on: October 20, 2017, 02:32:43 AM »
What the hell difference does it make if the show is distributed by one or the other or another still? Stations aren't beholden to syndicators.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

aaron sica

« Reply #553 on: October 20, 2017, 07:35:26 AM »
What the hell difference does it make if the show is distributed by one or the other or another still? Stations aren't beholden to syndicators.

It does to the great Jonathan Allen, who loves to spout knowledge to show off information that he THINKS he knows.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #554 on: October 20, 2017, 10:55:35 AM »

There was a time in the mid 70s through the 80s where Warner Brothers gave the right of first refusal to the station that bought the last show.  For example, if your station bought, say, "Welcome Back, Kotter" reruns, you'd get first dibs on "The Waltons" without the your competition even getting a chance to bid on the show.  If you turned it down, then they would go to the other stations.  This ended when Telepictures merged into WB.  Telepictures salesmen were used to the standard way of selling and that prevailed.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.