Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Most Obnoxious Celebrity...  (Read 35095 times)

GameShowGuru

Most Obnoxious Celebrity...
« Reply #60 on: November 01, 2010, 12:33:17 PM »
[quote name=\'William_S.\' post=\'249792\' date=\'Oct 27 2010, 09:30 PM\']Jim J. Bullock (Who was also on MG98) From Hollywood Squares. Man I just wanted to punch him every time I saw him...[/quote]

He was also on MG/HS Hour and MG90.  I actually though his "obnoxiousness" on HS give the show a Match Game-ish vibe, which I didn't find to be bad btw.

For me, the most obnoxious celebrity was Jack Cassidy on Match Game '75.  Everyone who has seen him on the show has said he acted like a p**ck.  Personally, when I saw him, that week of shows dragged.  The Thursday and Friday shows were the worst, because it was taped after the dinner break and Jack had a little liquor in his system, and his obnoxiousness just intensified.  The fact that he passed a year or so later notwithstanding, I doubt if he would've been invited back to the show for his behavior that week alone.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #61 on: November 01, 2010, 01:10:33 PM »
[quote name=\'GameShowGuru\' post=\'249990\' date=\'Nov 1 2010, 09:33 AM\']For me, the most obnoxious celebrity was Jack Cassidy on Match Game '75 damn near anything.  Everyone who has seen him on the show has said he acted like a p**ck.[/quote]
Fixed that for ya.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 01:10:55 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

mmb5

« Reply #62 on: November 01, 2010, 03:41:37 PM »
[quote name=\'Dan88\' post=\'249927\' date=\'Oct 30 2010, 05:42 PM\'][quote name=\'BillCullen1\' post=\'249910\' date=\'Oct 30 2010, 01:39 PM\']William Shatner when he threw the chair on Pyramid. Notice he never came back after that.[/quote]
This appears to be a really common misconception -- Xanfan's celebrity listings page for $10,000/$20,000 (compiled by William Padron, IIRC) lists Shatner as appearing the week of 12/26-30/77 with Barbara Feldon, while the listings for the Cullen $25,000 have Shatner appearing twice in 1978 (2/22 with JoAnne Worley, 9/24 with Loretta Swit).

Shatner's throwing a chair probably didn't put him in good standing with Bob Stewart and the staff, but he was still asked back...which leads me to believe that a later incident was the last straw, and hence his total disappearance from the show in late '78.

/Surprised Xanfan's site is still up.
[/quote]
It's very likely that the first Shatner 1978 appearance on $25K was taped before any airborne chairs.  The entire season was usually taped during a small taping window.

Duly noted that Shatner went from being in the Stewart stable (he was on many others as well) prior to launch to a smaller presence, then a non-existent presence.
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

GameShowGuru

« Reply #63 on: November 01, 2010, 05:22:21 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'249938\' date=\'Oct 31 2010, 12:04 AM\'][quote name=\'Eric Paddon\' post=\'249897\' date=\'Oct 30 2010, 04:01 AM\']Patti Deutsch and her inane MG answers designed to show off her silly idea of "humor" that no contestant ever would have thought of in a million years.[/quote]
THIS. It annoyed the living hell out of me anytime the game hung in the balance, and she'd give one of her idiotic answers, thus screwing the contestant from at least tying the game. [/quote]

While I would agree with you on this during MG's initial years on the air, to be fair, in the latter part of the run, she wised up enough to reserve her inane answers for the first round of questions, while providing more sensible answers in the deciding rounds (though when the Star Wheel first appeared and Patti was on the show, I would be praying that it didn't land on her, although her appearances in the latter years were becoming fewer and further in between as the show drew closer to its final demise).

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #64 on: November 01, 2010, 05:58:45 PM »
[quote name=\'GameShowGuru\' post=\'250004\' date=\'Nov 1 2010, 04:22 PM\'](though when the Star Wheel first appeared and Patti was on the show, I would be praying that it didn't land on her, although her appearances in the latter years were becoming fewer and further in between as the show drew closer to its final demise).[/quote]
Does anyone remember any occasion where the wheel did land on her?  I'm having trouble remembering one.
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

mmb5

« Reply #65 on: November 01, 2010, 06:47:47 PM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' post=\'250025\' date=\'Nov 1 2010, 05:58 PM\'][quote name=\'GameShowGuru\' post=\'250004\' date=\'Nov 1 2010, 04:22 PM\'](though when the Star Wheel first appeared and Patti was on the show, I would be praying that it didn't land on her, although her appearances in the latter years were becoming fewer and further in between as the show drew closer to its final demise).[/quote]
Does anyone remember any occasion where the wheel did land on her?  I'm having trouble remembering one.
[/quote]
No, but there was I believe a multi-game champion who insisted on calling on her on Final Match in I believe 75, much to Patti's surprise.  They matched more often than not.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #66 on: November 01, 2010, 08:47:16 PM »
During the run of "The Sky's the Limit," Bob Stewart discovered that an upright wheel would return to virtually the same place depending on where it began.  It's possible that the MG wheel was subject to the same laws of physics and certain stars names (read Patti Deutsch) were placed in places the wheel would never stop.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 08:51:13 PM by Jimmy Owen »
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

pyrfan

« Reply #67 on: November 02, 2010, 02:25:18 AM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' post=\'250025\' date=\'Nov 1 2010, 05:58 PM\'][quote name=\'GameShowGuru\' post=\'250004\' date=\'Nov 1 2010, 04:22 PM\'](though when the Star Wheel first appeared and Patti was on the show, I would be praying that it didn't land on her, although her appearances in the latter years were becoming fewer and further in between as the show drew closer to its final demise).[/quote]
[/quote]
There's one on the DVD set, from her last week ever on the show.

Brendan

Mr. Matté

« Reply #68 on: November 02, 2010, 05:11:48 AM »
[quote name=\'pyrfan\' post=\'250082\' date=\'Nov 2 2010, 02:25 AM\'][quote name=\'SRIV94\' post=\'250025\' date=\'Nov 1 2010, 05:58 PM\'][quote name=\'GameShowGuru\' post=\'250004\' date=\'Nov 1 2010, 04:22 PM\'](though when the Star Wheel first appeared and Patti was on the show, I would be praying that it didn't land on her, although her appearances in the latter years were becoming fewer and further in between as the show drew closer to its final demise).[/quote]
[/quote]
There's one on the DVD set, from her last week ever on the show.
[/quote]

If you don't have that, there's this clip (although she didn't match).

MrBuddwing

« Reply #69 on: November 02, 2010, 10:54:14 AM »
OK, here's my vote, FWIW ...

Being of a certain age, I'm a little too young to remember the heyday of Jack Paar, but from the extant clips, he certainly comes across as a sharp, articulate wit and a terrific raconteur - it's easy to see why he was such a hit during his five-year reign on "The Tonight Show."

But I have to admit, from what I've seen of Paar, there was something about him that usually rubbed me the wrong way. He may have been a brilliant talk show host, but he always came across (to me at least) as someone who was a bit smug, who considered himself the smartest person in the room (which he may well have been).

Which, of course, brings me to Paar's memorable appearance on "Password." I recently read that while Paar as a rule didn't do game shows, he did this one as a present to his good friends, newlyweds Allen Ludden and Betty White.

We all know how well he did, accidentally giving the passwords as clues and generally not giving a damn about how well he played the game. That's in striking contrast to comedians like Alan King and Buddy Hackett, who pleasantly surprised me with how seriously they took the show and gave thoughtful clues.

And remember the time Paar was the mystery guest on "What's My Line?" and thought he was oh-so-clever by delivering his answers through a megaphone?

Neumms

« Reply #70 on: November 02, 2010, 02:37:03 PM »
[quote name=\'mmb5\' post=\'249995\' date=\'Nov 1 2010, 02:41 PM\']It's very likely that the first Shatner 1978 appearance on $25K was taped before any airborne chairs.  The entire season was usually taped during a small taping window.

Duly noted that Shatner went from being in the Stewart stable (he was on many others as well) prior to launch to a smaller presence, then a non-existent presence.[/quote]

One might also consider that Mr. Shatner began making Star Trek films around this time. Starring in features does tend to raise an actor's profile high enough that they no longer guest on game shows. One might also note that Leonard Nimoy stopped appearing as well.

I would hope that Stewart would love a good player who's willing to be unpredictable and is so into the game he'd throw a chair, although I do recall hearing he's tight with a buck.

Question: Was Shatner's solo Winners' Circle round before or after the chair throw?

BrandonFG

« Reply #71 on: November 02, 2010, 06:01:15 PM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' post=\'250108\' date=\'Nov 2 2010, 02:37 PM\']Question: Was Shatner's solo Winners' Circle round before or after the chair throw?[/quote]
Before. I think the solo game was still during the $10K era.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
« Reply #72 on: November 02, 2010, 07:40:29 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'250127\' date=\'Nov 2 2010, 06:01 PM\'][quote name=\'Neumms\' post=\'250108\' date=\'Nov 2 2010, 02:37 PM\']Question: Was Shatner's solo Winners' Circle round before or after the chair throw?[/quote]Before. I think the solo game was still during the $10K era.[/quote]
Over two years before. It was apparently on June 27, 1975 (with Lee Meriwether, seen during the clip) after Shatner failed to win any front games that whole week. I don't know what the first box was (a single word) or how he managed to waste 40 seconds, but it's fun to see the trilons spinning around long before $100,000 did it for tournament wins.

EDIT: Shatner was only given 30 seconds, which actually makes more sense. Thanks to the ever-awesome William Padron for clearing that up.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 08:50:33 PM by Dan88 »
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...

mmb5

« Reply #73 on: November 02, 2010, 08:51:05 PM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' post=\'250108\' date=\'Nov 2 2010, 02:37 PM\']Question: Was Shatner's solo Winners' Circle round before or after the chair throw?[/quote]
I'm too lazy to go pull out the tape, but I believe the solo round was in the opener to the chair episode.

BrandonFG

« Reply #74 on: November 03, 2010, 12:39:17 AM »
[quote name=\'mmb5\' post=\'250154\' date=\'Nov 2 2010, 08:51 PM\'][quote name=\'Neumms\' post=\'250108\' date=\'Nov 2 2010, 02:37 PM\']Question: Was Shatner's solo Winners' Circle round before or after the chair throw?[/quote]
I'm too lazy to go pull out the tape, but I believe the solo round was in the opener to the chair episode.
[/quote]
Indeed.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!