Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Good hosts that didn't fit their shows  (Read 13365 times)

Twentington

• I just got to win / Spin the Wheel again
Good hosts that didn't fit their shows
« on: October 13, 2010, 11:11:04 PM »
Have you ever thought that a host was good, but just not the right fit for a show?

The example I've heard tossed around here most is Bill Cullen on TJW. Granted, most of his shows were meant to fit his more methodical mannerisms (lovely alliteration there), but TJW just didn't seem TJW with him as host. Granted, he was near the end of his career anyway...
Bobby Peacock

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2010, 11:36:56 PM »
I thought Eubanks was horrible on CS.  CS was a lighthearted, fun show...not one filled with smarmy comments.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

BrandonFG

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2010, 11:51:37 PM »
I suppose Todd Newton on Whammy...then again, even if Tomarken had hosted*, they probably would've had him yell just as much...
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2010, 01:03:31 AM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'249123\' date=\'Oct 13 2010, 11:36 PM\']I thought Eubanks was horrible on CS.  CS was a lighthearted, fun show...not one filled with smarmy comments.[/quote]
I will absolutely second this. He tried to bring his tell-all tactics to a game where they didn't fit at all, and he came off as a total douche--to me, at least. I'm sure I can't be alone on that.
Podcaster, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2010, 01:09:19 AM »
[quote name=\'DoorNumberFour\' post=\'249129\' date=\'Oct 13 2010, 10:03 PM\']He tried to bring his tell-all tactics to a game where they didn't fit at all, and he came off as a total douche--to me, at least. I'm sure I can't be alone on that.[/quote]Hell no you aren't alone. I'll queue up right behind you. Douche nonpareil.
Travis L. Eberle

TheLastResort

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2010, 06:55:54 AM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'249123\' date=\'Oct 13 2010, 11:36 PM\']I thought Eubanks was horrible on CS.  CS was a lighthearted, fun show...not one filled with smarmy comments.[/quote]

I beg to differ.  Card Sharks had an extremely weak format and needed all the help it could get.  I think Eubanks did a great job given what he had to work with.

whewfan

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2010, 07:54:16 AM »
Someone's gonna say this...

Gene Rayburn and Break the Bank... Obviously Gene was led to believe that BTB would allow him to do his goofy antics. It had potential... if you watch the first week Gene does joke around wherever he can and he appears to be having some fun, but Kline and Friends later decided that BTB should be more "serious", and in later shows Gene looks bored. It's also obvious that Gene was not briefed about any of the stunts nor where they were on the stage. Either Gene didn't want to be briefed in order to be more spontaneous, or nobody thought that Gene should know these stunts to make the game more smooth. Gene was fired, Joe Farago replaced him. Joe was no better, and dropping the stunts made the show VERY dull.

John Davidson and 100k Pyramid... John had a hard job, trying to fill the shoes of a host that hosted Pyramid off and on for 17 years. John appeared ill at ease sometimes, and repeated himself a LOT (just as Drew Carey did in early TPIR shows). Obviously it's debatable if John could be classified as a GOOD host... I felt he handled HS well, at least for the first two seasons. I think Pyramid was too restrictive for his personality, and for me, he didn't bring the right amount of suspense in the winner's circle.

Ray Combs and Family Challenge... This might not be fair. Ray was obviously going through hard times and he was probably very lucky to get the gig. Ray really gave his all and there were moments where his personality fit in with the show, but knowing what we know now, I wonder if Ray felt deep down inside that he once had a hit show, and now he's hosting some Double Dare/Beat the Clock ripoff that'll never enjoy the success of Feud.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2010, 08:17:57 AM »
Bob Barker and "The Family Game."  Seemed to be a bit standoffish in the Eubanks mold.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

whewfan

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2010, 10:24:08 AM »
Bob thought that show was so bad, he barely acknowledges doing it!

Bob hosted Family Game because there was a lot of talk of Truth or Consequences being cancelled, so he signed on to this show. Of course, T or C kept running and thankfully for Bob, Family Game didn't last long. While Bob is great at getting "gold" out of adults, it's no secret that he's weak with children. I have a T or C where there was a consequence involving babies, and none of these babies were in a particularly good mood. Bob kept insisting to the ladies to keep comforting the infants were were crying.

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2010, 10:25:24 AM »
[quote name=\'TheLastResort\' post=\'249147\' date=\'Oct 14 2010, 06:55 AM\']Card Sharks had an extremely weak format[/quote]
Really? Card Sharks, in my opinion, is one of the strongest, most exciting formats I know. What makes it weak to you?
Podcaster, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

TheLastResort

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2010, 10:43:46 AM »
[quote name=\'DoorNumberFour\' post=\'249158\' date=\'Oct 14 2010, 10:25 AM\'][quote name=\'TheLastResort\' post=\'249147\' date=\'Oct 14 2010, 06:55 AM\']Card Sharks had an extremely weak format[/quote]
Really? Card Sharks, in my opinion, is one of the strongest, most exciting formats I know. What makes it weak to you?
[/quote]

Higher...lower...lower...higher.  That's pretty weak.  They may as well flip coins for 30 minutes.

vtown7

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2010, 10:56:42 AM »
[quote name=\'TheLastResort\' post=\'249163\' date=\'Oct 14 2010, 09:43 AM\'][quote name=\'DoorNumberFour\' post=\'249158\' date=\'Oct 14 2010, 10:25 AM\'][quote name=\'TheLastResort\' post=\'249147\' date=\'Oct 14 2010, 06:55 AM\']Card Sharks had an extremely weak format[/quote]
[/quote]

Higher...lower...lower...higher.  That's pretty weak.  They may as well flip coins for 30 minutes.
[/quote]

Yep, they did.

MrBuddwing

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2010, 11:37:50 AM »
Dick Clark was The Man as host of "Pyramid," but it was painful to see him struggle on "The Challengers." Obviously, he never really got the hang of that game, and ended up with onscreen help from that fellow known as "The Judge."

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2010, 01:25:39 PM »
[quote name=\'MrBuddwing\' post=\'249172\' date=\'Oct 14 2010, 08:37 AM\']Dick Clark was The Man as host of "Pyramid," but it was painful to see him struggle on "The Challengers." Obviously, he never really got the hang of that game, and ended up with onscreen help from that fellow known as "The Judge."[/quote]
Really?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Winkfan

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2010, 02:52:15 PM »
I never saw it, but I'm sure the Winkster must still regret The Great Getaway Game.

Robb Weller was a complete letdown on Win, Lose Or Draw.

Non-game-show-wise: The biggest waste of talent was, is, and always will be, Jim Peck on Divorce Court.

Cordially,
Tammy
"I've never stopped. I've never changed. I never did anything else."
- The Real Don Steele (1936-1997)