Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Bad quiz bowl  (Read 8775 times)

BrandonFG

Bad quiz bowl
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2011, 06:06:18 PM »
Careers were ruined, specifically that of Columbia university professor and Today show regular Charles Van Doren. Scandals involving quiz shows such as 21, $64k Question and Dotto caused public uproar and a ratings downturn. As a result, there were no more big payoffs on shows, and they were not allowed a million-dollar prize until 1999... (presumably it was going to finish "FTP: Name this show hosted by Regis Philbin and Meredith Vieira.")
Answer: Millionaire
In addition to there being no direct correlation b/w "21" and "Millionaire", this line...

As a result, there were no more big payoffs on shows

...is purely subjective, and has no place in the question. "No more big payoffs" according to who? The $10/20/25/50/100,000 offered on Pyramid was a pretty big deal in the 70s and 80s, not to mention other shows who, when you adjust the top prize for inflation, are close to, if not exceed six-figures.

I know I over-analyzed that, but it stands out as another writing no-no IMO.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Jeremy Nelson

Bad quiz bowl
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2011, 06:11:13 PM »
Having zero quiz bowl experience, and admittedly talking out of my ass, the classic Fame Game question format has often struck me as the closest thing to a quiz bowl style question.
You're rigjt...the Fame Game question is basically a more drawn out version of a standard toss up phrased in the first person.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

Twentington

• I just got to win / Spin the Wheel again
Bad quiz bowl
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2011, 06:38:40 PM »
And thus the urban legend began...
I sit corrected. What fascinates me about it, though, is the attention to detail...you are literally the first person I have seen to use the standardized spelling "Willie," and you're the one debunking the urban myth! Every time I have seen this mentioned in the past, it's ALWAYS with the nonstandard "Willy." Which, at least for me, is part of what cemented it in my head as legit.

Snopes has more info on the Willy Gilligan thing: http://www.snopes.com/radiotv/tv/gilligan.asp
Bobby Peacock

gameshowcrazy

Bad quiz bowl
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2011, 08:07:02 PM »
Bob Denver and Sherwood Shwartz said Gilligan didn't have a first name, but if he did, it would probably have been Willie.
And thus the urban legend began...
I dunno.  I usually think of an urban legend as something that is A) wrong and/or B) unsourced.  If there's record of the creator of the character and the person who played the character agreeing on a first name, even decades later, I for one would accept that as canonical.

ahh, ye of little faith...

I got the information (including the "correct" spelling of Willie) from the man himself, in his own book regarding Gilligan's Island.  I guess that makes it canonical.

mmb5

Bad quiz bowl
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2011, 02:15:40 AM »
Having zero quiz bowl experience, and admittedly talking out of my ass, the classic Fame Game question format has often struck me as the closest thing to a quiz bowl style question.
Other good examples:

Sports Challenge biography round
If the main game Qs on 70s Double Dare were strung into one question (with some clues thrown out)

The term we used was "reverse pyramid".  And rather coincidental that Jonas Grumby is being mentioned.  The early NAQT mantra was "make sure the answer is Gilligan, not Jonas Grumby" as a reminder that the answer should be accessible as much as possible.
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
Bad quiz bowl
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2011, 02:47:44 AM »
and they were not allowed a million-dollar prize until 1999

You forgot the $1,000,000 Chance of a Lifetime in 1986.
Travis didn't forget a singlet hing.

You keep your own hing in your singlet and stop worrying about Travis'. :)

(This is what happens when you don't read the post before pointing out the obvious error in the question.)

Going back to "fhqwgads" for a second- I know that you might not necessarily think of it as being decent question material, but I think that anyone who has an elementary knowledge of modern pop culture or Internet phenomena would know the answer to that. So I gotta disagree with Travis' assessment of the quality of the question.

(For those that don't know, the Homestar Runner Wiki can help you.)
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Jeremy Nelson

Bad quiz bowl
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2011, 07:12:17 PM »
In Illinois, this year's High School Masonic Tournament, and even to some extent State Sectionals, weren't as well written as I'd expected them to be. There was a lot of information in the questions from both tournaments that made the games sluggish and nearly painful to play [or moderate, in my case]. In Sectionals, it got to the point in some packets where both teams (pretty good teams, at that) would ignore the first couple sentences and then perk up when the FTP came along.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

SuperMatch93

Bad quiz bowl
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2011, 12:35:11 PM »
There are often debate on the hsquizbowl forums about whether or not math is worthy quiz-bowl canon. I disagree, because more often than not, it comes down to a "who can work out this problem fastest" race between the math-team refugees on each side.
-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983