Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Original Jackpot theme  (Read 4786 times)

robsearson

Original Jackpot theme
« on: February 07, 2007, 05:31:09 PM »
I get a kick out of listening to old production music, and the other day I happened upon the original Jackpot theme during my online travels through the 1000 Series of the KPM Music Recorded Library (http://www1.playkpmmusic.com/pages/categor...arch/browse.cfm).

The tune is on their album KPM 1111 "Brass Plus Moog" from 1972, side B track 4 ("Jet Set" by Mike Vickers).  You can listen to it at  http://www1.playkpmmusic.com/pages/viewcd/....cfm?cdnum=1268

(related non-GS note; the original theme to ABC's Monday Night Football can also be found in KPM's 1000 Series... check out KPM 1136 "Industrial Panorama" from 1974, side A track 2 at http://www1.playkpmmusic.com/pages/viewcd/....cfm?cdnum=1256)

JCGames

Original Jackpot theme
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2007, 08:21:15 PM »
Thanks......I wonder if Stop Gap from syndie Truth or Consequences is on there.....that was a production composition too.

ETA: searched for Stop Gap.....found it...it's on KPM 93-That's Showbiz :)
« Last Edit: February 07, 2007, 08:29:26 PM by JCGames »

Chief-O

Original Jackpot theme
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2007, 08:39:16 PM »
"Brass Plus Moog" is a beautiful album.

On a more obscure note, the theme from the "We've Got Your Number" pilot can be found here [titled "Speed Speed Speed"]. And the very first track on this album was a Vegas LMAD cue.

/has Sound Gallery volume 1, which has said cue on it
.....and it goes like this!!!

MisterX

Original Jackpot theme
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2007, 08:58:46 PM »
APM has better quality versions of the music. That's where I get some production music used on game shows.

TimK2003

Original Jackpot theme
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2007, 11:04:17 PM »
[quote name=\'robsearson\' post=\'145495\' date=\'Feb 7 2007, 06:31 PM\']
I get a kick out of listening to old production music, and the other day I happened upon the original Jackpot theme during my online travels through the 1000 Series of the KPM Music Recorded Library
(related non-GS note; the original theme to ABC's Monday Night Football can also be found in KPM's 1000 Series... check out KPM 1136 "Industrial Panorama" from 1974, side A track 2 at http://www1.playkpmmusic.com/pages/viewcd/....cfm?cdnum=1256)
[/quote]

Thankx for the links.  There are some mighty fine music cues there for the takin..., er for the listening pleasure while they are browsing that site, yeah, that's it!

BTW, there is at least one other MNF theme that predates "Power Game".  I have what I believe is the first theme used in 1970 on 45 -- unfortunately it is buried amongst moving boxes back east.  Now that I think about it, the song sounded along the lines of the "We've Got Your Number" pilot theme.

uncamark

Original Jackpot theme
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2007, 12:32:15 PM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' post=\'145559\' date=\'Feb 7 2007, 10:04 PM\']
BTW, there is at least one other MNF theme that predates "Power Game".  I have what I believe is the first theme used in 1970 on 45 -- unfortunately it is buried amongst moving boxes back east.  Now that I think about it, the song sounded along the lines of the "We've Got Your Number" pilot theme.
[/quote]

Score Productions (Charles Fox, to be exact, IIRC) did the original "cue Howard and Don. ready camera 3, ready slo-mo" theme music--I believe it was called "Score!"

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
Original Jackpot theme
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2007, 03:14:49 PM »
Taking a page from That Insanely Huge Thread, here's a YouTube link of the original Monday Night Football open.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

gamed121683

Original Jackpot theme
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2007, 10:02:01 PM »
Check out the following promo I found on You Tube not too long ago:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h34wPRk6QjY

Now pay attention to the music in the spot. I know it's stock (production) music for this tune has been used on numerous USA Network promos back in the day. Also I remember hearing it in a radio ad for a phone company last year and I might even remember this music being used in an episode of the Nickelodeon show "Welcome Freshman." Anyway, my question is what's the title of this tune? I think it's from KPM but I may be wrong. I'm aware this is a longshot but...just asking.

DrBear

Original Jackpot theme
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2007, 11:02:35 PM »
[quote name=\'JasonA1\' post=\'145633\' date=\'Feb 8 2007, 02:14 PM\'] Taking a page from That Insanely Huge Thread, here's a YouTube link of the original Monday Night Football open.

-Jason [/quote]

Actually, that was the second opening...the first had the intro (ready in the booth, stand by...) with the "take tape" and the music, but the opening that followed had NFL MONDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL spelled out in lights followed by filmed action made to look like it was on a scoreboard. The second ('73) opening is more fun, tho.

Note: The first opening also had a matching closing, with some more scoreboard-style action followed by a spelled out THIS HAS BEEN AN ABC SPORTS PRESENTATION, followed by a wide pullback to an empty (Three Rivers) stadium. I don't think they did a closing sequence after that, just signing off and going to a promo or an "THIS IS ABC" slide.
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

davemackey

Original Jackpot theme
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2007, 06:38:17 AM »
[quote name=\'JCGames\' post=\'145516\' date=\'Feb 7 2007, 08:21 PM\']
Thanks......I wonder if Stop Gap from syndie Truth or Consequences is on there.....that was a production composition too.

[/quote]
Check out Track 1 of that CD, too... "Big Show Theme" is a familiar cue from commericals (I think Geico was using it for a while) and it was used in the first episode of "The Ren and Stimpy Show" when Stimpy's in Hollywood. Like the "Stop Gap", it too was written by Wilfred Burns, writing under the pseudonym Bob Sharples.

But thanks for making me aware of this website.... :)
« Last Edit: February 11, 2007, 06:41:53 AM by davemackey »

radioboy949

Original Jackpot theme
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2007, 06:44:28 AM »
[quote name=\'gamed121683\' post=\'145854\' date=\'Feb 10 2007, 11:02 PM\']
Check out the following promo I found on You Tube not too long ago:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h34wPRk6QjY

Now pay attention to the music in the spot. I know it's stock (production) music for this tune has been used on numerous USA Network promos back in the day. Also I remember hearing it in a radio ad for a phone company last year and I might even remember this music being used in an episode of the Nickelodeon show "Welcome Freshman." Anyway, my question is what's the title of this tune? I think it's from KPM but I may be wrong. I'm aware this is a longshot but...just asking.
[/quote]

Check out KPM93, Track 21 - "Star Prizes".  I think you'll find what you've been looking for.

uncamark

Original Jackpot theme
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2007, 03:03:13 PM »
[quote name=\'davemackey\' post=\'145864\' date=\'Feb 11 2007, 05:38 AM\']
[quote name=\'JCGames\' post=\'145516\' date=\'Feb 7 2007, 08:21 PM\']

[/quote]
Check out Track 1 of that CD, too... "Big Show Theme" is a familiar cue from commericals (I think Geico was using it for a while) and it was used in the first episode of "The Ren and Stimpy Show" when Stimpy's in Hollywood. Like the "Stop Gap", it too was written by Wilfred Burns, writing under the pseudonym Bob Sharples.

But thanks for making me aware of this website.... :)
[/quote]

Lovers of British TV continuity will honor Burns/Sharples as the composer of British ABC's famous logo signature music in the 60s--only heard in the U.S. on Encore Mystery's repeats of the Honor Blackman years of "The Avengers."  (British ABC used a different logo for the "Avengers" episodes shot on film with Diana Rigg and shown on ABC in  the U.S.)

JCGames

Original Jackpot theme
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2010, 10:24:49 PM »
I should add that another of Wilfred Burns' compositions also has a US game show connection....his "Melody in Moccasins" was used for several years in the 50s as the opening theme to WHAT'S MY LINE?