Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: TMZ: Barker on Carey  (Read 9613 times)

Matt Ottinger

TMZ: Barker on Carey
« on: July 27, 2010, 12:39:29 PM »
Discuss.

Also, there was a clip of Carey on the TV show the other night that doesn't appear to be on the website.  Drew has lost a scary amount of weight.  I mean, if he was a teenage girl, we'd be looking at treatment plans.  If Calista Flockhart had one good meal, she might pass him.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Ian Wallis

« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2010, 12:54:34 PM »
I think part of it probably has to do with the increased commercial time - what are we down to now - 38 minutes?  In most of Barker's years he had a lot more time to "make it exciting".
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

DrBear

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2010, 01:11:29 PM »
I think there's a lot of difference between being there, active, every day and sitting at home with nobody to harass talk to. Ask a lot of athletes and they'll tell you that, except maybe to get a look at someone they're about to play, they don't sit around the house watching the sport they participate in.
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2010, 01:45:50 PM »
Drew has lost a scary amount of weight. I mean, if he was a teenage girl, we'd be looking at treatment plans. If Calista Flockhart had one good meal, she might pass him.
Time to loosen the lap-band (if that's what he had done).

I thought Barker's remarks were measured and fair.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 01:51:55 PM by chris319 »

tyshaun1

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2010, 02:08:00 PM »
I too think Barker more or less hit the nail on the head..... while I do enjoy watching TPIR on occasion (I've never been a big fan), Drew seems to let his emotions at the moment dictate how he hosts the show. And for a show that's virtually played "against the house", it comes across as him not invested in producing a good product. The one thing that he consistently does that aggravates me: He tends to do delayed reveals on losses more often than wins.

Tyshaun
« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 02:10:52 PM by tyshaun1 »

Mr. Brown

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2010, 02:26:13 PM »
[quote name=\'tyshaun1\' post=\'245097\' date=\'Jul 27 2010, 01:08 PM\']The one thing that he consistently does that aggravates me: He tends to do delayed reveals on losses more often than wins.

Tyshaun[/quote]

That doesn't even make sense because the host generally doesn't know the answers. I'm not sure how he could delay his reveals on losses more than wins.
Cheers,
Mr. Brown, Esq.
‎"I am on a drug. It's called Charlie Sheen. It's not available because if you try it, you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body." -Charlie Sheen

Fedya

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2010, 02:39:59 PM »
Carey: I never sexually harassed the models.
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at http://justacineast.blogspot.com/

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

tyshaun1

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2010, 02:43:17 PM »
[quote name=\'Mr. Brown\' post=\'245099\' date=\'Jul 27 2010, 02:26 PM\'][quote name=\'tyshaun1\' post=\'245097\' date=\'Jul 27 2010, 01:08 PM\']The one thing that he consistently does that aggravates me: He tends to do delayed reveals on losses more often than wins.[/quote]

That doesn't even make sense because the host generally doesn't know the answers. I'm not sure how he could delay his reveals on losses more than wins.

[/quote]
On most games where Drew peeks to see if the contestant has won or not, he often delays a few seconds if they have lost (often giving the contestant false hope), and immediately shows them if they've won.

Tyshaun
« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 02:43:58 PM by tyshaun1 »

Johnissoevil

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2010, 03:10:34 PM »
While Drew is no Bob, with all due respect, wasn't it Barker himself who said that his replacement should not try to duplicate him?  Drew is hosting the show in his own style, exactly what Bob wanted from him.
In loving memory of my father, Curtis Fenner 4/29/44-8/13/15

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2010, 03:56:09 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'245094\' date=\'Jul 27 2010, 01:45 PM\']I thought Barker's remarks were measured and fair.[/quote]
The one time I was ever at a taping, I marveled at how he always seemed to have a perfect answer to whatever question he'd field from the audience during commercial breaks.  Then I realized that there are probably about a dozen questions that he's heard a million times each.  You know he's heard "How's Drew doing?" from every stranger he's bumped into in the past three years, whether they had a camera or not.  Good for him to have a measured, fair response ready that's not just standard show-biz pablum.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2010, 04:30:21 PM »
[quote name=\'tyshaun1\' post=\'245101\' date=\'Jul 27 2010, 01:43 PM\']On most games where Drew peeks to see if the contestant has won or not, he often delays a few seconds if they have lost (often giving the contestant false hope), and immediately shows them if they've won.

Tyshaun[/quote]
I've seen this more so on close Showcase overbids. He delays it, then mutters, agonizes over the overbid, and then congratulates the winner as an afterthought.

Barker's remarks, in my opinion, are fair. Drew could definitely improve on how to take a loss, and that would help the mood of the show a lot. After a loss, you need to pick the energy back up, and you can't do that by agonizing over it and limping into a commercial. You don't have to be Barker himself, but saying something upbeat before the break when NOT promoting priceisright.com helps.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 04:31:44 PM by Jeremy Nelson »
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2010, 05:07:28 PM »
One wonders whether Barker knew at the time that the photog was from TMZ and that his remarks would wind up on the air, or whether he thought the photog was just another tourist with a camcorder.

wasn't it Barker himself who said that his replacement should not try to duplicate him?
Bob said that before Drew started doing the show. Now that he's seen Drew doing it, he gives opinions such as the one you heard today.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 05:08:09 PM by chris319 »

cmjb13

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2010, 08:37:00 PM »
http://hollywoodinsider.ew.com/2010/07/27/...ker-drew-carey/

-Barker says "I would not criticize FremantleMedia (which produces the show for the network) because I have a sizable royalty that I am paid every year this show is on, and it’s going on for years".

There were rumors for years that Barker owned a piece of the show. Does this pretty much confirm it?
« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 08:37:25 PM by cmjb13 »
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

Vahan_Nisanian

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2010, 08:41:51 PM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' post=\'245109\' date=\'Jul 27 2010, 08:37 PM\']There were rumors for years that Barker owned a piece of the show. Does this pretty much confirm it?[/quote]

Given the fact that he had a hand in the making of that best-of set that was released by the now-defunct BCI, he acts like he does.

I can only pray that when he dies, his estate (assuming that he has one) will not follow suit (disowning any episodes that featured fur coats, disowning any episodes that featured Holly Hallstrom, my FAVORITE of the original TPIR models, and disowning any episodes that featured Rod Roddy).
« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 08:43:05 PM by gameshowlover87 »

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2010, 08:53:10 PM »
There were rumors for years that Barker owned a piece of the show. Does this pretty much confirm it?
I don't think so. It could simply be Barker blowing smoke in his damage-control efforts. I've never seen anything in any of the SEC filings I've read to indicate he ever had an ownership stake in the show or anything more than a personal services contract. Syd, on the other hand, may own a small piece of it having been one of the founders of All-American TV.

WRT Drew, I think I saw a recent shot of him on TMZ today and he didn't look like the advanced anorexia case some have made him out to be. He is slimmer and there will be some excess baggage from his heavier days.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 09:01:42 PM by chris319 »