The Game Show Forum > The Big Board

About that new Chuck Woolery show

<< < (3/4) > >>

Timsterino:
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Jun 23 2003, 01:32 PM\']
--- Quote ---Thanks, Chris. That is what I meant. I meant it in terms of "Survivor", "Big Brother", "The Osbournes". I do realize that a "Documentary" is a reality show in the truest sense of the word.
--- End quote ---

But I fail to see any genre difference between Naturally Stoned and The Osbornes.  As I said originally, "reality show" can be defined far too many ways, but if you're saying that The Osbornes *is* a reality show, but Naturally Stoned *isn't*, I can't imagine you're going to get a lot of support for that position.  Structurally, those two shows (as well as The Anna Nicole Show) are the same.

[/quote]
 Ok. Let me please be as specific as I can. When *I* think of reality show, *I* think of a competition type of show like \"Survivor\", \"Big Brother\". You are correct, my \"Osbournes\" reference was bad. This is my interpretation of \"Reality\" and as you stated \"Reality\" can be defined in far too many ways. My original arguement was with the fact that I felt that \"Naturally Stoned\" was a documentary in the sense of the word as I interpret it. When I see the show I do not see a reality show.  But to be fair, a reality show in it's truest definition can be any show that deals with, well, reality. I guess I need to broaden my interpretation of the concept of \"Reality\" and include \"Naturally Stoned\" in that genre.

Matt Ottinger:

--- Quote ---I guess I need to broaden my interpretation of the concept of \"Reality\"
--- End quote ---
Somebody get this boy some magic mushrooms, fast!

Meanwhile, if you want to think of \"reality\" shows as being the ones that are competition oriented, that doesn't make you wrong as long as you're consistant.  The Osbournes thing just threw me, that's all.

GS Warehouse:
[quote name=\'Timsterino\' date=\'Jun 23 2003, 04:32 PM\'] This is my interpretation of "Reality" and as you stated "Reality" can be defined in far too many ways. [/quote]
 The same can be said of the term \"game show\".  You've got basic Q&A (Jeopardy!), puzzle based games (Lingo), stunt-based shows (Cram), talent contests (American Idol), and adventure contests (Survivor).  But yes, the definition of \"reality TV\" is becoming even more blurry.  There's \"staged reality\", like those aforementioned adventures games and those dating shows; there's documentaries, where \"The Osburnes\" and \"Naturally Stoned\" both fall; and there's the worst TV has to offer: real reality.  Perfect example: September 11, 2001.

JasonA1:

--- Quote ---And on top of that, there was his gig with Cristina Ferrare on that \"Home And Family\" show
--- End quote ---

I must say, I truly liked watching that show as a kid over the summer or whenever I had time off. At first, I didn't accept Michael Burger because I liked Chuck so much, but he even did a good job with it.

Speaking of which, why exactly did Chuck leave? I seem to remember it being Chuck leaving as opposed to having been dropped somehow.

-Jason

Timsterino:
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Jun 23 2003, 05:51 PM\']
--- Quote ---I guess I need to broaden my interpretation of the concept of "Reality"
--- End quote ---
Somebody get this boy some magic mushrooms, fast!

[/quote]
 No man, I am \"Naturally Stoned\"!

Ok, so, I could not resist an attempt at humor. I did say it was an attempt.

Tim :-)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version