Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: TVPMM and "Whew!" rights  (Read 14170 times)

Offshored2007

TVPMM and "Whew!" rights
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2010, 12:48:55 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'245036\' date=\'Jul 26 2010, 03:30 PM\'][quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'245030\' date=\'Jul 26 2010, 01:54 PM\']
Music Composed by Alan Thicke

Did not save a master reel. He didn't even remember doing the show.
Wow. Startling.

Now I know Bud Austin's real name (Harold Augenblick). Almost as startling.
[/quote]
Bud would be 90 if he hadn't died in 1986. (according to imdb.com)
[/quote]
I bet Edd Kalehoff would never make that statement!

I need to ask Terry if the materials in the US Copyright Office are just sheet music or the actual pieces of music used on the show.
I am glad I cobbled together a version of the closing theme back in 1980.

Vahan_Nisanian

TVPMM and "Whew!" rights
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2010, 09:31:08 PM »
Wasn't there a rumor that Alan Thicke threw masters for the Whew! theme into a fire during an argument with his wife?

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
TVPMM and "Whew!" rights
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2010, 10:03:10 PM »
[quote name=\'gameshowlover87\' post=\'245114\' date=\'Jul 27 2010, 09:31 PM\']Wasn't there a rumor that Alan Thicke threw masters for the Whew! theme into a fire during an argument with his wife?[/quote]
I have never, ever heard this before in my life.
Podcaster, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
TVPMM and "Whew!" rights
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2010, 10:20:38 PM »
[quote name=\'gameshowlover87\' post=\'245114\' date=\'Jul 27 2010, 06:31 PM\']Wasn't there a rumor that Alan Thicke threw masters for the Whew! theme into a fire during an argument with his wife?[/quote]It is entirely possible that somebody invented such a rumor.
Travis L. Eberle

dale_grass

TVPMM and "Whew!" rights
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2010, 11:07:19 PM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'245116\' date=\'Jul 27 2010, 09:20 PM\'][quote name=\'gameshowlover87\' post=\'245114\' date=\'Jul 27 2010, 06:31 PM\']Wasn't there a rumor that Alan Thicke threw masters for the Whew! theme into a fire during an argument with his wife?[/quote]It is entirely possible that somebody invented such a rumor.
[/quote]
If I recall, he later went bowling with one of his buddies.

J.R.

TVPMM and "Whew!" rights
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2010, 11:49:36 PM »
[quote name=\'dale_grass\' post=\'245117\' date=\'Jul 27 2010, 10:07 PM\'][quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'245116\' date=\'Jul 27 2010, 09:20 PM\'][quote name=\'gameshowlover87\' post=\'245114\' date=\'Jul 27 2010, 06:31 PM\']Wasn't there a rumor that Alan Thicke threw masters for the Whew! theme into a fire during an argument with his wife?[/quote]It is entirely possible that somebody invented such a rumor.[/quote]
If I recall, he later went bowling with one of his buddies.[/quote]
Win.
-Joe Raygor

snowpeck

TVPMM and "Whew!" rights
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2010, 12:37:07 AM »
I can easily cite the source of that rumor... from an old, old copy of the TVPMM site in the Internet Archive:

We have found through our collecting efforts that "life " plays a key role in the fate of existing recorded works. Some examples are:

a. The composer that was married to a popular singer composer that filed for a divorce. As their relationship deteriorated and divorce became inevitable their co-creations became an object of anger. During fights scores were burned, analog tapes were thrown in the trash and no known works survived from this popular couple. Thats until we stepped in and recovered an album of several classic works from daytime television. To maintain their privacy we can not name the specific works but the museum holds the only known original of their recordings.

Someone along the way drew the conclusion that the couple referred to are Alan Thicke and Gloria Loring (which, honestly, makes perfect sense).

No clue on the validity of the original item though... or if Thicke and Loring are indeed who it's referring to.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 12:44:08 AM by snowpeck »
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

Offshored2007

TVPMM and "Whew!" rights
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2010, 09:23:13 AM »
[quote name=\'snowpeck\' post=\'245123\' date=\'Jul 28 2010, 12:37 AM\']I can easily cite the source of that rumor... from an old, old copy of the TVPMM site in the Internet Archive:

We have found through our collecting efforts that "life " plays a key role in the fate of existing recorded works. Some examples are:

a. The composer that was married to a popular singer composer that filed for a divorce. As their relationship deteriorated and divorce became inevitable their co-creations became an object of anger. During fights scores were burned, analog tapes were thrown in the trash and no known works survived from this popular couple. Thats until we stepped in and recovered an album of several classic works from daytime television. To maintain their privacy we can not name the specific works but the museum holds the only known original of their recordings.

Someone along the way drew the conclusion that the couple referred to are Alan Thicke and Gloria Loring (which, honestly, makes perfect sense).

No clue on the validity of the original item though... or if Thicke and Loring are indeed who it's referring to.
[/quote]
I always thought it was Thicke and Loring when that item appeared back on TVPMM.  Maybe that's why Thicke can't remember doing the music (painful mamories blotted out).

BrandonFG

TVPMM and "Whew!" rights
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2010, 09:26:40 AM »
Pretty interesting stuff. Didn't they do one of the Facts of Life themes as well? Granted that show was a lot more popular than Whew!, so saving the theme song on that show could be a totally different story.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Ian Wallis

TVPMM and "Whew!" rights
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2010, 12:47:31 PM »
Yes - Facts of Life, Diff'rent Strokes and other sitcoms.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
TVPMM and "Whew!" rights
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2010, 01:33:27 PM »
The Facts of Life theme has a special place on this board :-)

gamed121683

TVPMM and "Whew!" rights
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2010, 01:38:23 PM »
Years ago, I remember watching Alan Thicke on a few interview type shows. A frequent question from the interviewer would be, "I see from your bio here that you are a composer, especially for TV theme songs" (or something to that effect). The three TV shows that he'd almost always cite when answering that question were Diff'rent Strokes, The Facts of Life and (believe it or not) Wheel Of Fortune. He'd even go into the quick backstory on why Merv Griffin's people stopped using his Wheel theme after 1983.

So maybe he doesn't mention WHEW! because it's a show that very few people remember, rather than just emotional memory block.
Just my two Lincoln's.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 01:40:07 PM by gamed121683 »

gamed121683

TVPMM and "Whew!" rights
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2010, 01:41:59 PM »
[quote name=\'Offshored2007\' post=\'245135\' date=\'Jul 28 2010, 09:23 AM\'][quote name=\'snowpeck\' post=\'245123\' date=\'Jul 28 2010, 12:37 AM\']I can easily cite the source of that rumor... from an old, old copy of the TVPMM site in the Internet Archive:

[/quote]
I always thought it was Thicke and Loring when that item appeared back on TVPMM.  Maybe that's why Thicke can't remember doing the music (painful mamories blotted out).
[/quote]

Painful MEMORIES are one thing, but mamories? I'd see a gynecologist about that...

dale_grass

TVPMM and "Whew!" rights
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2010, 11:58:00 PM »
[quote name=\'gamed121683\' post=\'245156\' date=\'Jul 28 2010, 12:41 PM\']Painful MEMORIES are one thing, but mamories? I'd see a gynecologist about that...[/quote]
Of course you would, because girly parts are foreign to you.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
TVPMM and "Whew!" rights
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2010, 01:51:02 AM »
[quote name=\'gamed121683\' post=\'245154\' date=\'Jul 28 2010, 10:38 AM\']So maybe he doesn't mention WHEW! because it's a show that very few people remember, rather than just emotional memory block.
Just my two Lincolns.[/quote]
Or maybe he doesn't want to tell about throwing the score in the fire (if that's what actually happened).