Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The new host of Pyramid...  (Read 12155 times)

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
The new host of Pyramid...
« Reply #45 on: June 01, 2010, 10:21:45 PM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'241755\' date=\'Jun 1 2010, 10:06 PM\']But mainly that he's never hosted a game show before.[/quote]

Do three pilots count? The Pilot Light has two articles on shows he did, and I believe it was WeatherMatt who received a t-shirt from another unsold Alan pilot as a gift.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #46 on: June 01, 2010, 10:36:30 PM »
[quote name=\'JasonA1\' post=\'241758\' date=\'Jun 1 2010, 07:21 PM\']Do three pilots count?[/quote]Then I shall amend my statement to "he has hosted three episodes of pilots." Still, I think there are several other people I would pick before Alan. And Andy Richter would be one of 'em.
Travis L. Eberle

mmb5

« Reply #47 on: June 01, 2010, 10:41:52 PM »
Despite his rugged body and charming good looks, Alan is 66.  Between Letterman and voice-overs, he works full time now.  Why would he want to add a whole bunch of multiple cross-country trips?
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

Bill Neuweiler

« Reply #48 on: June 01, 2010, 11:45:49 PM »
[quote name=\'mmb5\' post=\'241761\' date=\'Jun 1 2010, 10:41 PM\']Despite his rugged body and charming good looks, Alan is 66.  Between Letterman and voice-overs, he works full time now.  Why would he want to add a whole bunch of multiple cross-country trips?[/quote]

Just another reason to move Pyramid back to New York.
<p>I share a birthday with Jack Barry.

Mr. Game Show

« Reply #49 on: June 02, 2010, 12:34:16 AM »
[quote name=\'Bill Neuweiler\' post=\'241764\' date=\'Jun 1 2010, 11:45 PM\'][quote name=\'mmb5\' post=\'241761\' date=\'Jun 1 2010, 10:41 PM\']Despite his rugged body and charming good looks, Alan is 66.  Between Letterman and voice-overs, he works full time now.  Why would he want to add a whole bunch of multiple cross-country trips?[/quote]

[/quote]

Just about any reason to get Pyramid back to New York, is good for me. I hope Embassy Row can find a way to make it happen, though Andy Richter would probably veto that idea. Who knows ? Maybe he wont do well in the Pilot, and Davies/CBS will look to Regis or another East coast talent, that will get Pyramid back to NYC. I know its a huge longshot at this point, and the Pilot has to sell first.... but I'd still like to see Pyramid back where it all began. I have to believe that would be Embassy Row's preference too, since they are based in NYC.

Interesting that Embassy Row is based in NYC, and is taping the Pyramid Pilot in LA, and Freemantle is based in LA, and is taping Emeril's Game Show Pilot in NYC. It sounds like Emeril will tape his Pilot on 6/15 in Manhattan. I have not seen a specific studio location mentioned yet.

Speaking of the Alan Kalter comment, I believe he would be a very good host. I was in the audience for the Finish Line Pilot, and he was excellent. Alan wasnt the problem. As I recall, the format was decent (not great) but the bonus round was a disaster - cant blame Alan for that.

It's too bad David Letterman and Alan Kalter arent a bit younger, so they could handle Pyramid. Letterman could Host, Kalter announcing, and they can tape 2 weeks of shows every other weekend, at the Ed Sullivan Theater. How cool would that be... to have Pyramid back in it's original home. Another idea... if Pyramid doesnt sell for Daytime, how about having several primetime specials for CBS, with Letterman & Kalter in NYC. I know its a wild idea, but stranger things have happened.

tvrandywest

« Reply #50 on: June 02, 2010, 02:14:47 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'241746\' date=\'Jun 1 2010, 03:56 PM\']Back before we knew how to tape things (as Betty White put it on SNL), lots of folks simply did more than one show a day every day.  I've got lots of news stories in my collection about how Bill Cullen would zip from one thing to the next, most notably how he'd wrap up his morning radio show and go straight from that to the 11am Price five days a week.  Hugh Downs did two hours of Today (pretty serious lifting, even back then) and followed that up with Concentration every day
...[/quote]
Matt, I love thinking about the studio-to-studio dashing of our fave hosts and announcers, hopping between the studios at NBC, or dodging the throngs of theater-district pedestrians every day.

As you know from reading "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time," on a typical spring day in 1949, at 11 a.m., Johnny was at DuMont’s WABD-TV on Madison Avenue at 53rd Street for "Johnny Olsen’s Rumpus Room." Within an hour of that show’s closing, Johnny was ready for his midday radio program "Johnny Olsen’s Luncheon Club" at 12:30 p.m. from ABC radio's network studios, still at 30 Rock (6th Avenue and 50th Street). Then, at 4:30 p.m. Johnny was at the Mutual Guild Theater on
West 52nd Street, west of Broadway for "Johnny Olson’s Prince Charming, " and on and on and on.

Randy
tvrandywest.com
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

Otm Shank

« Reply #51 on: June 02, 2010, 06:15:26 PM »
[quote name=\'Mr. Game Show\' post=\'241768\' date=\'Jun 2 2010, 12:34 AM\']Maybe he wont do well in the Pilot, and Davies/CBS will look to Regis or ---[/quote]
Oh, goodness! Why not Donny Osmond? Besides, there would likely be either a conflict in some markets (Live airing near or overlapping the Pyramid slot on another station) or an overabundance of Regis on one channel in the same daypart.

I think that Andy Richter is the last great hope for Pyramid. I don't see many other opportunities for the after 2010-11 other than syndication, perhaps. At that point, it would be after three hosts piloted the same show, and chances of getting clearance drop off dramatically.

William A. Padron

« Reply #52 on: June 03, 2010, 09:21:18 AM »
[quote name=\'Mr. Game Show\' post=\'241768\' date=\'Jun 2 2010, 12:34 AM\'][quote name=\'Bill Neuweiler\' post=\'241764\' date=\'Jun 1 2010, 11:45 PM\'][quote name=\'mmb5\' post=\'241761\' date=\'Jun 1 2010, 10:41 PM\']Despite his rugged body and charming good looks, Alan is 66.  Between Letterman and voice-overs, he works full time now.  Why would he want to add a whole bunch of multiple cross-country trips?[/quote]

[/quote]

Just about any reason to get Pyramid back to New York, is good for me. I hope Embassy Row can find a way to make it happen, though Andy Richter would probably veto that idea. Who knows ? Maybe he wont do well in the Pilot, and Davies/CBS will look to Regis or another East coast talent, that will get Pyramid back to NYC. I know its a huge longshot at this point, and the Pilot has to sell first.... but I'd still like to see Pyramid back where it all began. I have to believe that would be Embassy Row's preference too, since they are based in NYC.

Interesting that Embassy Row is based in NYC, and is taping the Pyramid Pilot in LA, and Freemantle is based in LA, and is taping Emeril's Game Show Pilot in NYC. It sounds like Emeril will tape his Pilot on 6/15 in Manhattan. I have not seen a specific studio location mentioned yet.

Speaking of the Alan Kalter comment, I believe he would be a very good host. I was in the audience for the Finish Line Pilot, and he was excellent. Alan wasnt the problem. As I recall, the format was decent (not great) but the bonus round was a disaster - cant blame Alan for that.

It's too bad David Letterman and Alan Kalter arent a bit younger, so they could handle Pyramid. Letterman could Host, Kalter announcing, and they can tape 2 weeks of shows every other weekend, at the Ed Sullivan Theater. How cool would that be... to have Pyramid back in it's original home. Another idea... if Pyramid doesnt sell for Daytime, how about having several primetime specials for CBS, with Letterman & Kalter in NYC. I know its a wild idea, but stranger things have happened.
[/quote]

Just a side note here about Letterman and Kalter on Pyramid...they were on the same soundstage set at ABC Studio TV-15 on the network daytime edition back in February 1979 during a five episode taping session done that day.  Letterman was a celebrity guest (versus JoAnne Worley) and Kalter was heard as the sub-announcer filling in for Bob Clayton.  The Monday 2/26/1979 OAD episode with them is in the collection of the Paley Center for Media.

Embassy Row may be NYC-based, but the company currently produces The Newlywed Game for GSN in the Los Angeles metro area since its second season, with Randy West as the announcer there.  I would not be surprised though if CBS and/or Sony, after seeing TNG can be done easily on the West Coast, probably told and insisted Michael Davies to have the new Pyramid to be done in Los Angeles instead of New York.

The only studio location that I could possibly think of where Emeril's game show pilot that might be done here in New York City easily would be where they did Power of 10, Million Dollar Password (the first few episodes) and the two 2009 Pyramid pilots: the Kaufman-Astoria Studios in the borough of Queens.  The studio is located just a fifteen-to-twenty minute subway ride away from midtown Manhattan via the "R" train.
[Take The "A" Train]

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #53 on: June 03, 2010, 09:47:50 AM »
To me it seemed the quality of the male contestants fell sharply when the show moved to Cali.  Most of the memorable winners were female.  In NYC, there was more of an even match.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Otm Shank

« Reply #54 on: June 03, 2010, 11:58:24 AM »
[quote name=\'William A. Padron\' post=\'241812\' date=\'Jun 3 2010, 09:21 AM\']The only studio location that I could possibly think of where Emeril's game show pilot that might be done here in New York City easily would be where they did Power of 10, Million Dollar Password (the first few episodes) and the two 2009 Pyramid pilots: the Kaufman-Astoria Studios in the borough of Queens.  The studio is located just a fifteen-to-twenty minute subway ride away from midtown Manhattan via the "R" train.[/quote]
Or, there are studios where they shot the first season of Newlywed -- located right across from Madison Square Garden. That space is a little smallish, but there are other several studios from the same company in the Manhattan (Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert both tape in NEP-owned studios).

Mr. Game Show

« Reply #55 on: June 03, 2010, 04:51:16 PM »
[quote name=\'William A. Padron\' post=\'241812\' date=\'Jun 3 2010, 09:21 AM\'][quote name=\'Mr. Game Show\' post=\'241768\' date=\'Jun 2 2010, 12:34 AM\'][quote name=\'Bill Neuweiler\' post=\'241764\' date=\'Jun 1 2010, 11:45 PM\'][quote name=\'mmb5\' post=\'241761\' date=\'Jun 1 2010, 10:41 PM\']Despite his rugged body and charming good looks, Alan is 66.  Between Letterman and voice-overs, he works full time now.  Why would he want to add a whole bunch of multiple cross-country trips?[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Just a side note here about Letterman and Kalter on Pyramid...they were on the same soundstage set at ABC Studio TV-15 on the network daytime edition back in February 1979 during a five episode taping session done that day.  Letterman was a celebrity guest (versus JoAnne Worley) and Kalter was heard as the sub-announcer filling in for Bob Clayton.  The Monday 2/26/1979 OAD episode with them is in the collection of the Paley Center for Media.

Embassy Row may be NYC-based, but the company currently produces The Newlywed Game for GSN in the Los Angeles metro area since its second season, with Randy West as the announcer there.  I would not be surprised though if CBS and/or Sony, after seeing TNG can be done easily on the West Coast, probably told and insisted Michael Davies to have the new Pyramid to be done in Los Angeles instead of New York.

The only studio location that I could possibly think of where Emeril's game show pilot that might be done here in New York City easily would be where they did Power of 10, Million Dollar Password (the first few episodes) and the two 2009 Pyramid pilots: the Kaufman-Astoria Studios in the borough of Queens.  The studio is located just a fifteen-to-twenty minute subway ride away from midtown Manhattan via the "R" train.
[/quote]

Hi William !

Thanks for the very interesting Pyramid information. I was curious if Mr Letterman and Mr Kalter had crossed paths on Pyramid, and we now have our answer.

As for Embassy Row currently shooting Newlywed Game in LA, that is probably one of the reasons that Mr Davies is shooting in LA now. Once he approved Newlywed's move, he opened the door for his future shows to be taped in LA. IMHO, I would have looked for another host for Newlywed, than move the show West, but that's another discussion. Of course, Sony probably prefers LA as well. It's too bad, as Mr Davies seemed committed to shooting in NYC. Now that he's shown he is willing to tape in LA, the NYC advantage is probably gone. Mr Davies was pretty much my last hope for a resurgence of NYC based Game Shows, but his NYC train seems to have left the station, for now anyway. At least Millionaire is still taping in NYC.

Various casting reports have said the Emeril's Pilot will be taped in Manhattan, so I doubt Kaufman Astoria will be used. Why not tape at the CBS Broadcast Center ? How big of a set does a cooking Game Show need ? As Otm shank said, there are several smaller studios in Manhattan that can be used. Although a bit unlikely, ABC's or NBC's facilities can be used, if they have open studio space.  At any rate, it's nice to see another potential CBS Game Show being taped in NYC, though I hoped it would be Pyramid.

William A. Padron

« Reply #56 on: June 04, 2010, 09:57:19 AM »
[quote name=\'Mr. Game Show\' post=\'241859\' date=\'Jun 3 2010, 04:51 PM\']Various casting reports have said the Emeril's Pilot will be taped in Manhattan, so I doubt Kaufman Astoria will be used. Why not tape at the CBS Broadcast Center ? How big of a set does a cooking Game Show need ? As Otm shank said, there are several smaller studios in Manhattan that can be used. Although a bit unlikely, ABC's or NBC's facilities can be used, if they have open studio space.  At any rate, it's nice to see another potential CBS Game Show being taped in NYC, though I hoped it would be Pyramid.[/quote]

Yeah, and I am in agreement with you and Otm Shank as Emeril's game show pilot could indeed tape at some of the smaller studios as mentioned that are around in Manhattan.  If it is done at the CBS Broadcast Center, it might be either inside Studio TV 41 or 42, provided if the news division of the network is not currently occupying either soundstage.

It might be a long shot on this one, but if Emeril's pilot is taped at an ABC Studio, it could be at TV 17 on West 66th Street, which was last used by the soap opera One Life To Live.  OLTL is now at that network's West End Avenue studio which was formerly occupied by All My Children, which in turn it moved out to Los Angeles.
[Take The "A" Train]

Twentington

• I just got to win / Spin the Wheel again
« Reply #57 on: June 05, 2010, 05:40:56 PM »
Is it wrong that this little guy right here and the curb-stomp battle on Jeopardy! are my only exposures to Andy Richter?

New Pyramid? I'm cautiously optimistic. Heck, I could even tolerate 6 in :20 if the judging and writing are up to snuff. None of this "Why You Go to Orange Julius" or "What Garth Brooks' Headset Microphone Might Say."
Bobby Peacock