Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The new host of Pyramid...  (Read 12152 times)

Casey Buck

The new host of Pyramid...
« on: May 27, 2010, 05:56:58 PM »
Andy Richter wrapping deal to host new version of `Pyramid' for CBS

Conan O'Brien's not the only one with a new gig.

Andy Richter, O'Brien's long time sidekick, who has also tried his luck at sitcoms, is looking to add a daytime job to his resume. He is sealing a deal to become host of the latest remake of the game show "Pyramid," which Sony Pictures Television and Michael Davies' Embassy Row production company is developing for CBS and that Davies is on board to produce.

Landing the right host has been a big challenge for Sony and Davies. Last year, there were two pilots made, one with Dean Cain as host, the other with Tim Vincent, and neither got off the ground. An effort to land Howie Mandel fell short. Brad Garrett, familiar to CBS viewers from his years on "Everybody Loves Raymond" was also briefly considered as host.

If "Pyramid" gets picked up, Richter will be very busy since he is also going back to work for O'Brien on the TBS late night show that premieres in November. Perhaps, to borrow from his short-lived Fox sitcom, Andy Richter really will control the universe.

"Pyramid" will face heavy competition to get on CBS's daytime television schedule. Although the network has some holes because of the cancellation of the soap opera "As the World Turns," it also has a daytime chat show in development featuring "Big Brother" and "Early Show" host Julie Chen, who happens to be the wife of CBS Chief Executive Leslie Moonves. The network also is working on a show for daytime with chef Emeril Lagasse.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2010, 06:10:33 PM »
Question for the Hollywood types: would they be casting for an actual series host if they didn't think there was a reasonably good chance it was going to get picked up?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2010, 06:31:15 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'241541\' date=\'May 27 2010, 02:10 PM\']Question for the Hollywood types: would they be casting for an actual series host if they didn't think there was a reasonably good chance it was going to get picked up?[/quote]
Of course they think there is a reasonably good chance it will get picked up. Whether it actually will or not is another matter regardless of what the packager thinks. That said, when a show gets to the pilot stage it's time to cast your emcee.

Richter might work out OK provided he doesn't catch the "I'm gonna double the points!!!" syndrome.

LetsGoMets2003

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2010, 08:18:01 PM »
There IS a game show god! Let's hope the pilot tests well!!!!

whewfan

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2010, 08:21:17 PM »
I think Andy is a very good and interesting choice! He's proven on Conan that he knows the right time and place to be funny, and when to restrain himself and let someone else be the focus. That makes a good host, because in this case, the contestants and celebs are the real focus, and the host is just there to comment on the action. Andy is not really an actor, like Richard Karn is. Andy is a personality, and an effective second banana. He is basically a younger Ed Mc.Mahon. Granted, Ed had hosted a few game shows in his career, none that really caught on.

I am veering off topic a little, but I read someplace that Ed Mc.Mahon wasn't exactly the smoothest host on Star Search. Retakes were often necessary when it came to introducing acts and going to commercial.

I am glad Howie Mandel turned down Pyramid... with America's Got Talent AND DOND in TWO TIMESLOTS, Pyramid would've just been overexposure. Although I could definitely see Howie hosting Pyramid, and he would do very well.

Strikerz04

• The Money Will be Spent
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2010, 08:25:45 PM »
I find Richter's ability on Celebrity J! enough proof that he'll be a competent host.

BrandonFG

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2010, 08:51:37 PM »
[quote name=\'whewfan\' post=\'241549\' date=\'May 27 2010, 08:21 PM\']I am glad Howie Mandel turned down Pyramid... with America's Got Talent AND DOND in TWO TIMESLOTS, Pyramid would've just been overexposure. Although I could definitely see Howie hosting Pyramid, and he would do very well.[/quote]
Daytime Deal was canceled, and I don't think the NBC version is coming back. Howie would only be busy during the summertime.

That being said, I think this is an excellent choice. I think Andy could hold his own very well. I look forward to the decision...
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2010, 09:05:27 PM »
[quote name=\'Strikerz04\' post=\'241550\' date=\'May 27 2010, 05:25 PM\']I find Richter's ability on Celebrity J! enough proof that he'll be a competent host.[/quote]Not really it doesn't. It proved that Andy Richter was able to answer some fairly easy general knowledge questions. :)

That said, out of Dean Cain, Tim Vincent and Andy Richter, Andy is the one that I would go with if I had my druthers.
Travis L. Eberle

whewfan

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2010, 09:28:19 PM »
Here's what I'm thinking the CBS people may be thinking...

Dean Cain- Wasn't he Superman once?
Tim Vincent- WHO?!
Andy Richter- BIG NAME

Almost the same strategy they used when Drew got the nod for TPIR... the only difference is that it appears Andy will get an audition first.

comicus

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2010, 09:41:11 PM »
Will Donnie, Chareth, Rocky and Emmitt be hired on as production staff?

tpirfan28

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2010, 09:49:44 PM »
[quote name=\'whewfan\' post=\'241556\' date=\'May 27 2010, 09:28 PM\']Here's what I'm thinking the CBS people may be thinking...

Dean Cain- Wasn't he Superman once?
Tim Vincent- WHO?!
Andy Richter- BIG NAME[/quote]
Exactly might thought process.  Maybe if Embassy Row doesn't have external CBS pressure to pick a host, if they land Andy, they think it'll vault them straight to the top of the heap.

/Just don't fark up the game
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

Fedya

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2010, 09:53:30 PM »
I'm more curious to know what Regis' coffee cup has to say about this.
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at http://justacineast.blogspot.com/

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

TimK2003

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2010, 10:23:00 PM »
Andy would be a likable host -- he'll bring in the younger demos which will (as usual) be under-estimated by Nielsen, since many will be in dorms where Nielsen fears to tread.  And the older grandparent demos will warm up to him because "he looks like such a nice boy".

If worse comes to worse, and should Pyramid get snubbed by CBS in favor of "The Chenbot Show", he (and Conan) could very well have a nice, healthy dose of "sleeping with the decision-maker" material for Conan's upcoming TBS show.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2010, 10:43:11 PM »
he'll bring in the younger demos
Maybe, maybe not. It's the game that will keep people riveted, and Pyramid is one of the stronger formats around. If they don't screw up production (test celebrities and contestants alike for their game-playing skills, do seven subjects in 30 seconds, better judging than Donnymid, etc) and if Andy doesn't try to chew the scenery (I pray that he won't) or artificially hype his part, this could work.

trainman

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2010, 10:46:53 PM »
Is it too early to start the inevitable list of potential WC categories for "Andy Richter Controls the Pyramid"?

THINGS FOR ME TO POOP ON
trainman is a man of trains