Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Pyramid "Things You Plan" incident  (Read 12409 times)

Ian Wallis

Pyramid "Things You Plan" incident
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2010, 11:43:08 AM »
Thanks - that was it!  I remember watching this on GSN but didn't have the VCR on that day.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2010, 12:05:15 PM »
[quote name=\'Dan88\' post=\'240958\' date=\'May 17 2010, 12:39 AM\'](which I can probably tell you -- they were cheap morons who wanted to keep the number of tournament entrants low)[/quote]
Unsurprisingly, you'd be wrong.

(Well, maybe you'd be right, but that wasn't the impetus behind the game changes. The producer made it painfully obvious from the outset (especially based on his first two pilots) that he wanted to make Pyramid his own. It was also painfully obvious that he had absolutely no understanding as to what made Pyramid work in the first place. No nefarious schemes, no tinfoil hats: this was simply raw incompetence. )
« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 12:33:46 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2010, 08:42:08 PM »
Wasn't it the case that the producer in question sought out our opinion (in the form of posts to ATGS) about the new series, we said "You're Doing It Wrong," and he said "Don't care, I'm doing it my way," and we blew him off after that?
Travis L. Eberle

BrandonFG

« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2010, 08:59:23 PM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'241001\' date=\'May 17 2010, 08:42 PM\']Wasn't it the case that the producer in question sought out our opinion (in the form of posts to ATGS) about the new series, we said "You're Doing It Wrong," and he said "Don't care, I'm doing it my way," and we blew him off after that?[/quote]
I don't remember him seeking our opinion as much as he was justifying the many production decisions that were made. I remember there being a few questions about Winners Circle judging, and he responded to a few comments on the board.

One that stood out was "Disco Songs", and a few wondered why "Disco Music" wasn't accepted. I think the reasoning was "YMCA" is a song...The Village People would be an example of (Types of) Disco Music. Thinking about it now, the judging was extremely anal, even though there were a ton of $10,000 winners the first few weeks.

/Not accepting "Tools" for "Things in a Toolbox" was ridiculous IMO
« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 08:59:42 PM by fostergray82 »
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Kevin Prather

« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2010, 09:16:56 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'241002\' date=\'May 17 2010, 05:59 PM\']/Not accepting "Tools" for "Things in a Toolbox" was ridiculous IMO[/quote]
It was the other way around. Not accepting "Things in a toolbox" for "Tools," making it even more ridiculous.

clemon79

« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2010, 11:14:26 PM »
[quote name=\'Kevin Prather\' post=\'241004\' date=\'May 17 2010, 06:16 PM\']It was the other way around. Not accepting "Things in a toolbox" for "Tools," making it even more ridiculous.[/quote]
"Um, a hammer, a wrench..."

"Things in a toolbox!"

"Erm. a screwdriver....oh! Pyramid producer Stephen Brown."

"OHHHHHHH."

CJBojangles

« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2010, 12:29:39 AM »
[quote name=\'pyrfan\' post=\'240956\' date=\'May 16 2010, 10:01 PM\']This happened the second week of Dick Clark's "$100,000 Pyramid," with none other than future star Mel Harris as the contestant. The box read "WHAT YOUR CHILD SAYS," and Mel kept saying "kid" in response to Markie Post's clues. There was an obvious edit where Dick made the aforementioned plea, and the judge did indeed consider "child" and "kid" synonymous and awarded Mel the $25K.[/quote]
Thanks for the info! Wouldn't you know it, there are actually two eps on YouTube with Mel Harris, but neither is the episode in question.

Otm Shank

« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2010, 12:38:38 AM »
I am hoping that the judging for the Embassy Row-produced Pyramid does not follow that path. I auditioned last summer, and at least the audition format followed the judging of the last decade. The casting person told me that I had to match exactly what was on the card. I played a mock game with a production assistant, and she asked the casting producer if my answer "Things in the kitchen" was acceptable for "Things found in the kitchen."

Some of them I did not know what the exact answer was because I rattled off four different answer constructions to make sure I got it right.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 12:39:21 AM by Otm Shank »

byrd62

« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2010, 08:03:50 AM »
[quote name=\'Otm Shank\' post=\'241011\' date=\'May 18 2010, 12:38 AM\']I am hoping that the judging for the Embassy Row-produced Pyramid does not follow that path. I auditioned last summer, and at least the audition format followed the judging of the last decade. The casting person told me that I had to match exactly what was on the card. I played a mock game with a production assistant, and she asked the casting producer if my answer "Things in the kitchen" was acceptable for "Things found in the kitchen."

Some of them I did not know what the exact answer was because I rattled off four different answer constructions to make sure I got it right.[/quote]

I am reminded of what Preston Jones said last year in this forum, about being told in 1973 by contestant coordinator Edythe Chan that the final category had to be exact, and then he ends up in the "Things You Wrap" conundrum.

http://gameshow.ipbhost.com/index.php?show...c=18296&hl=

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2010, 12:05:03 PM »
The producer made it painfully obvious from the outset (especially based on his first two pilots) that he wanted to make Pyramid his own. It was also painfully obvious that he had absolutely no understanding as to what made Pyramid work in the first place. No nefarious schemes, no tinfoil hats: this was simply raw incompetence.)
Are you saying that Stephen Brown came up with the "Pyramid Players"? And the bastardized format/strict judging of the 1996 Pilot? Yeah, I can see why this guy wouldn't be too favored by this site...

Wasn't it the case that the producer in question sought out our opinion (in the form of posts to ATGS) about the new series, we said "You're Doing It Wrong," and he said "Don't care, I'm doing it my way," and we blew him off after that?
That...'s about the same level of dumb as George Gray calling ATGS "losers" on Extreme Gong. (...Lemme guess, George Gray was the warm-up guy "George" from the '96 pilot, wasn't he? "If you don't like it, then to hell with you!")

I'd like to see Stephen's posts, just to laugh at his weaksauce "defense" for changing a show that didn't really need changing.

I auditioned last summer, and at least the audition format followed the judging of the last decade. The casting person told me that I had to match exactly what was on the card. I played a mock game with a production assistant, and she asked the casting producer if my answer "Things in the kitchen" was acceptable for "Things found in the kitchen."

Some of them I did not know what the exact answer was because I rattled off four different answer constructions to make sure I got it right.
That...does not particularly give me good hopes for the new version. Which reminds me -- CBS' upfront presentation is tomorrow.

/please no Julie Chen talk-show crap
« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 08:38:32 PM by Dan88 »
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...

chad1m

« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2010, 12:26:00 PM »
[quote name=\'Dan88\' post=\'241025\' date=\'May 18 2010, 12:05 PM\']Which reminds me -- CBS' upfront presentation is tomorrow.[/quote]And CBS didn't announce Let's Make a Deal until August. Don't get your hopes too high.

clemon79

« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2010, 12:43:14 PM »
[quote name=\'Dan88\' post=\'241025\' date=\'May 18 2010, 09:05 AM\']Are you saying that Stephen Brown came up with the "Pyramid Players"? And the bastardized format/strict judging of the 1996 Pilot?[/quote]
That's what I'm saying, yes.
That...is about the same level of dumb as George Gray calling ATGS "losers" on Extreme Gong
...getting the show free pub on a niche newsgroup that thought (correctly) that the show was crap and was for the most part ignoring it.

Yep, George Gray's a moron, all right.
I'd like to see Mr. Brown's posts, just to laugh at his horrid "defense" for changing a show that didn't need changing.
Nothing is stopping you. They are but a search away.

rjaguar3

« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2010, 04:57:02 PM »
For those who are interested, here is the link to all his ATGS posts:

http://groups.google.com/groups/search?hl=...4oC7QPhW2NJ6Qjl