Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Anyone here ever see "Olympus 7-0000"?  (Read 871 times)

DjohnsonCB

Anyone here ever see "Olympus 7-0000"?
« on: April 27, 2010, 01:49:18 AM »
I did some research on a 1966-67 one-season wonder I wish I could see today, ABC Stage '67, which was an anthology of musicals, dramas, variety and more.  One edition of the series I really would love to see is "Olympus 7-0000", starring Donald O'Connor and two veteran game show personalities of the day, Larry Blyden and Phyllis Newman.  Unfortunately, ABC reportedly destroyed all the color master tapes and the only copies may be at the Museum Of Broadcasting which I will likely never get to.  I was just curious as to whether or not anyone here had ever seen that edition of the series.
"Disconnect her buzzer...disconnect EVERYONE'S buzzer!"

--Alex Trebel

Matt Ottinger

Anyone here ever see "Olympus 7-0000"?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2010, 12:45:35 PM »
I've never seen it. but I'd love to someday even though it's almost certainly awful.  It was an original made-for-TV musical, a genre that was attempted with some regularity in the fifties and sixties.  The closest thing to that these days in when an established TV series does a musical episode (think Buffy's Once More With Feeling or similar episodes of Scrubs or even Xena: Warrior Princess).  

From what I understand, it was structured a lot like Damn Yankees, except instead of the devil and a hapless baseball team it was about an Olympian god and a hapless football team.  Weirdly, for such an obscurity, a soundtrack album was produced and released.  When it came out, Phyllis Newman was already a familiar face to game show fans, but Blyden had only made two or three appearances on the panel of What's My Line.  Both were part of that breed of bright, clever New York-based stage actors from which the Goodson factory mined some of their best talent.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.