Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Another Pyramid Pilot  (Read 18320 times)

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
Another Pyramid Pilot
« Reply #60 on: April 13, 2010, 05:04:40 AM »
On top of that, any shortcomings of the celebrity players were compounded by the format: less time per subject in the front game, so if you didn't get it straight off you were screwed; no returning champions, so players were never able to play with the celebs long enough to get on a wavelength; and the conditions to get in the tournament, which put enormous pressure on both sides in the Winner's Circle (to go along with the esoteric writing therein).
Donnymid's problems, in a nutshell -- minus the strict Winner's Circle judging, which required the guesser to say the subject title nearly-verbatim. For some reason, simply uttering the "essence" of the subject (which awarded the box to the contestant in the classic era) was usually not accepted:

* Subject: "Characters from The Wizard of Oz"
* Guess: "Things from The Wizard of Oz"
* Ruling: NOT ACCEPTABLE

* Subject: "Things Mick Jagger Would Say"
* Guess: "Mick Jagger"; "I am Mick Jagger"

* Subject: "Things A Baby Sitter Says"
* Guess: "Things A Baby Sitter Does"; "Baby Sitter" (latter phrase repeated several times)

As for qualifying for the Tournament, those rules and the lack of returning champions basically sapped all the fun out of both contestants winning $10,000 -- it turned such an event from "Rematch next time!" into a wash. And some days, especially during Season 2, it just wasn't possible to clear at least one of the Winner's Circle rounds.

(First and third examples were eventually guessed verbatim, and the former ended with a $10,000 win; second example was passed upon and not returned to before time ran out. First two examples are from Donnymid Season 2, while the third is from a first-person report {written, at least in part, by the dearly-missed Randy Amasia} following the taping of the infamous 1996 Pilot; it seems both shows had the same judge.)
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 09:59:31 PM by Dan88 »
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...

Kevin Prather

Another Pyramid Pilot
« Reply #61 on: April 13, 2010, 08:04:48 AM »
[quote name=\'Dan88\' post=\'239362\' date=\'Apr 12 2010, 08:37 PM\']"What Air Would Say"[/quote]
Come now. "I am the stuff you breathe."

Pyramid80

Another Pyramid Pilot
« Reply #62 on: April 13, 2010, 08:11:21 AM »
I am thrilled that CBS is taking another look at "Pyramid" for a revival.  If it is as good as the pilot from last year, hopefully we won't have anything to worry about.  Hopefully the lesson was learned from the Donnymid mistakes.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Another Pyramid Pilot
« Reply #63 on: April 13, 2010, 09:08:58 AM »
[quote name=\'Dan88\']//Examples #1 and #3 are taken from Donnymid Season 2.[/quote]Wasn't #3 from one of the 90s Pyramid pilots, and not DonnyMid?
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 09:35:15 AM by Modor »
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Pyramid80

Another Pyramid Pilot
« Reply #64 on: April 22, 2010, 08:32:22 AM »
Well not sure if the Pyramid pilot is going to be in our favor.  According to this article, Les Moonves' (CBS Executive) wife Julie Chen is also doing a pilot for a new talk show.  I am sure he wouldn't go with a game show over his wife.

[post=\"0\"]http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/showtracker/2010/04/cbs-developing-viewstyle-talk-show-with-julie-chen-to-replace-as-the-world-turns.html[/post]

Mr. Game Show

Another Pyramid Pilot
« Reply #65 on: April 22, 2010, 10:19:34 AM »
[quote name=\'Pyramid80\' post=\'239832\' date=\'Apr 22 2010, 08:32 AM\']Well not sure if the Pyramid pilot is going to be in our favor.  According to this article, Les Moonves' (CBS Executive) wife Julie Chen is also doing a pilot for a new talk show.  I am sure he wouldn't go with a game show over his wife.

[post=\"0\"]http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/showtracker/2010/04/cbs-developing-viewstyle-talk-show-with-julie-chen-to-replace-as-the-world-turns.html[/post][/quote]

I noticed that yesterday. I have to believe that with this news.... any Pilot competing for this slot, just lost a great deal of momentum, and is probably bad news for Pyramid at CBS. If Ms. Chen delivers a good Pilot, she's probably the winner. You have to wonder what Freemantle and Michael Davies are thinking right now.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Another Pyramid Pilot
« Reply #66 on: April 22, 2010, 10:57:34 AM »
[quote name=\'Pyramid80\' post=\'239832\' date=\'Apr 22 2010, 07:32 AM\']Well not sure if the Pyramid pilot is going to be in our favor.  According to this article, Les Moonves' (CBS Executive) wife Julie Chen is also doing a pilot for a new talk show.  I am sure he wouldn't go with a game show over his wife.[/quote]What do you have to back this up?  If the show tests poorly or what not, it may not get the green light.  Besides, its not like she would be out of work if it didn't get picked up.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Pyramid80

Another Pyramid Pilot
« Reply #67 on: April 22, 2010, 11:41:12 AM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'239835\' date=\'Apr 22 2010, 09:57 AM\'][quote name=\'Pyramid80\' post=\'239832\' date=\'Apr 22 2010, 07:32 AM\']Well not sure if the Pyramid pilot is going to be in our favor.  According to this article, Les Moonves' (CBS Executive) wife Julie Chen is also doing a pilot for a new talk show.  I am sure he wouldn't go with a game show over his wife.[/quote]What do you have to back this up?  If the show tests poorly or what not, it may not get the green light.  Besides, its not like she would be out of work if it didn't get picked up.
[/quote]
I have no backing information, just clearly going on assumption.  But if your wife was a successful news anchor and had a shot of hosting her own talk show, would you not choose her over a game show?  Really though, I hope I'm wrong at that the talk show tests poorly.  But I agree, she has plenty to keep her busy anyway.

TimK2003

Another Pyramid Pilot
« Reply #68 on: April 22, 2010, 11:48:46 AM »
[quote name=\'Mr. Game Show\' post=\'239833\' date=\'Apr 22 2010, 08:19 AM\'][quote name=\'Pyramid80\' post=\'239832\' date=\'Apr 22 2010, 08:32 AM\']Well not sure if the Pyramid pilot is going to be in our favor.  According to this article, Les Moonves' (CBS Executive) wife Julie Chen is also doing a pilot for a new talk show.  I am sure he wouldn't go with a game show over his wife.

[post=\"0\"]http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/showtracker/2010/04/cbs-developing-viewstyle-talk-show-with-julie-chen-to-replace-as-the-world-turns.html[/post][/quote]

I noticed that yesterday. I have to believe that with this news.... any Pilot competing for this slot, just lost a great deal of momentum, and is probably bad news for Pyramid at CBS. If Ms. Chen delivers a good Pilot, she's probably the winner. You have to wonder what Freemantle and Michael Davies are thinking right now.
[/quote]

Has there been any hint as to what NBC plans to do when the Days Of Our Lives "sands of time" finally run out?  The most obvious guesses would be either "The Late, Late, Later Today Show" or "Lets give our affiliates another chance to run yet another judge show or two".  But I'd love to have the peacock surprise me.

Mr. Game Show

Another Pyramid Pilot
« Reply #69 on: April 22, 2010, 11:53:26 AM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' post=\'239839\' date=\'Apr 22 2010, 11:48 AM\'][quote name=\'Mr. Game Show\' post=\'239833\' date=\'Apr 22 2010, 08:19 AM\'][quote name=\'Pyramid80\' post=\'239832\' date=\'Apr 22 2010, 08:32 AM\']Well not sure if the Pyramid pilot is going to be in our favor.  According to this article, Les Moonves' (CBS Executive) wife Julie Chen is also doing a pilot for a new talk show.  I am sure he wouldn't go with a game show over his wife.

[/quote]

Has there been any hint as to what NBC plans to do when the Days Of Our Lives "sands of time" finally run out?  The most obvious guesses would be either "The Late, Late, Later Today Show" or "Lets give our affiliates another chance to run yet another judge show or two".  But I'd love to have the peacock surprise me.
[/quote]

Hi Tim !

I have no idea what NBC has planned, but I think you have a better shot of ABC cancelling a Soap in late 2010 or 2011, so that might be Plan B. It would be funny if CBS passed on Pyramid, and it found it's way back to ABC.

Neumms

Another Pyramid Pilot
« Reply #70 on: April 22, 2010, 11:58:16 AM »
[quote name=\'gameshowlover87\' post=\'239361\' date=\'Apr 12 2010, 10:33 PM\']I think you can also add Earl Holliman and Patty Duke (who would drop "Astin" from her name about half-way through the 80's version run following her separation and divorce from John Astin) to the list of A-list celebrities on 80's Pyramid.

I wonder if Teresa Ganzel would also count as an "A-list" celebrity? I mean it's not like you couldn't see her on The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson back in the 80's.[/quote]

Patty Duke may count, although she wasn't exactly hot as a firecracker by then, but Earl Holliman? And God love her, but what did Teresa Ganzel do, maybe one sketch every six months? Come on!

And the Julie Chen thing will be interesting, just to see if "The View" works with a really dull panel.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Another Pyramid Pilot
« Reply #71 on: April 22, 2010, 12:02:24 PM »
[quote name=\'Pyramid80\' post=\'239836\' date=\'Apr 22 2010, 08:41 AM\']But if your wife was a successful news anchor and you wanted any shot at all of receiving a BJ ever again had a shot of hosting her own talk show, would you not choose her over a game show?[/quote]
Fixed that for you.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

colonial

Another Pyramid Pilot
« Reply #72 on: April 22, 2010, 12:08:41 PM »
TVNewser posted an article this morning on the Chen pilot, and there's an interesting angle in the story that, AFAIK, has not been mentioned anywhere else...

http://www.mediabistro.com/tvnewser/cbs/ab...lden_159190.asp

It sounds to me that CBS may be taping both 30 and 60-minute pilots for the potential candidates to replace ATWT, or are at least considering all candidates in both a half-hour and full-hour format.

Off the top of my head, I can't think of a 30-minute chatfest that has succeeded in recent years, so that may put the Chen pilot at a disadvantage.  

There has also been some speculation that the Chen pilot could be a springboard as a syndicated replacement for CBS affiliates that carry "The Oprah," similar to speculation that ABC may move "The View" to its Disney/Buena Vista syndie arm in 2011 to help its affiliates.  Perhaps CBS, er, "encourages" its O&Os to air "ChenView" this fall, ahead of a national release in 2011?

At this point, it's way too early to tell what The Eye plans on doing.  IIRC, they didn't announce the LMAD pickup until August.  

JD

colonial

Another Pyramid Pilot
« Reply #73 on: April 22, 2010, 12:10:47 PM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' post=\'239839\' date=\'Apr 22 2010, 11:48 AM\']Has there been any hint as to what NBC plans to do when the Days Of Our Lives "sands of time" finally run out? The most obvious guesses would be either "The Late, Late, Later Today Show" or "Lets give our affiliates another chance to run yet another judge show or two". But I'd love to have the peacock surprise me.[/quote]

NBC just renewed Days for another year, so it will be on until at least September 2011.  No hint as to what the Peacock wants to do afterward.

JD

Pyramid80

Another Pyramid Pilot
« Reply #74 on: April 22, 2010, 12:35:04 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'239843\' date=\'Apr 22 2010, 11:02 AM\'][quote name=\'Pyramid80\' post=\'239836\' date=\'Apr 22 2010, 08:41 AM\']But if your wife was a successful news anchor and you wanted any shot at all of receiving a BJ ever again had a shot of hosting her own talk show, would you not choose her over a game show?[/quote]
Fixed that for you.
[/quote]
LOL!