Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: This Season's Pryamid  (Read 13248 times)

Balapete

This Season's Pryamid
« on: November 13, 2003, 08:43:29 PM »
Does anyone else feel that the small changes on this season's Pyramid really add to the show.  I think the flow of the show this year is much better. I love the fact that the contestants are able to give the clues in the winner's circle, although I have not seen anyone opt to yet.  I wish that you the contestants were able to do that last year.  I was on the show last year and would have loved to give the clues in the W.C..  I can not complain though because I played with Elaine Henrdrix and she was a great player and helped me win $10,000.  It was by far the most exciting thing that has happened to me.

I was so glad to see that Adriene Barbeau is going to be on Pyramid this year.  She was one of the best players on the Clark version and I can't wait to see her on the new show.  I am sure she still is a great player.  It is nice to see some celebrities from the original show on this year.  

I like the theme weeks.  I would love to see a classic game show week like the had on Hollywood Squares or perhaps a classic TV week.  If anyone from Pyramid is reading this, I think you would get some great ratings with these types of weeks.

Peter

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
This Season's Pryamid
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2003, 08:54:29 PM »
[quote name=\'Balapete\' date=\'Nov 13 2003, 06:43 PM\'] Does anyone else feel that the small changes on this season's Pyramid really add to the show.  I think the flow of the show this year is much better. [/quote]
 I think the small changes this season DO improve the show, but the big problems they HAVEN'T addressed (like the judging issues, and the "alternative, edgy" writing) still make the show unwatchable.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Gromit

This Season's Pryamid
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2003, 04:28:46 AM »
Well, that's quite severe. The show is in no way "unwatchable", it's still Pyramid at heart.

The only thing I find strange is how they're standing around and they make such a big deal about who wants to give or receive. Let 'em relax in the chair for a few minutes. I don't really need to see them choose either, just having the choice is fine with me.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
This Season's Pryamid
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2003, 05:03:35 AM »
[quote name=\'Gromit\' date=\'Nov 15 2003, 02:28 AM\'] Well, that's quite severe. The show is in no way "unwatchable", it's still Pyramid at heart. [/quote]
 And yet, 100% accurate. If the judging and writing annoys me to the point that I don't want to watch it, then that, by definition, is an unwatchable show.

Tom Cruise's DENTIST, for Chrissakes. His friggin' DENTIST. What does "I work on the teeth of the guy who was in Days Of Thunder" add to the show that "I was in Days Of Thunder" didn't? Frankly, it's an insult to the writing staff of the Clark version.

YMMV. YM prolly WILL V. But I refuse to support crap like that with my viewership.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

mbclev

This Season's Pryamid
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2003, 11:24:14 AM »
[quote name=\'Balapete\' date=\'Nov 13 2003, 08:43 PM\']

I was so glad to see that Adriene Barbeau is going to be on Pyramid this year. [/quote]
If Adrienne was on the show, then maybe one of these days Constance McCashin might come on this version.  She is a great game show player, period(not just on "Pyramid").

Steve McClellan

This Season's Pryamid
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2003, 12:42:59 PM »
[quote name=\'Gromit\' date=\'Nov 15 2003, 01:28 AM\'] The only thing I find strange is how they're standing around and they make such a big deal about who wants to give or receive. Let 'em relax in the chair for a few minutes. I don't really need to see them choose either, just having the choice is fine with me. [/quote]
They do get to relax in the chair, for 10-15 minutes before each WC, while Steve Saunders tries to keep the audience awake. The contestant just stands up about 30 seconds before tape starts rolling again.

And you definitely aren't seeing them decide; you're seeing a cheesy re-creation of their decision, which is made before the walk to the WC.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2003, 12:44:20 PM by gameshowsteve »

Don Howard

This Season's Pryamid
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2003, 12:50:14 PM »
And you definitely aren't seeing them decide; you're seeing a cheesy re-creation of their decision, which is made before the walk to the WC.

Why can't they then just tell us before the commercial break? "You now have a $10000/$25000 decision to make. Do you want to give the clues or get the clues?".
That way once they get to the Winners' Circle, they don't have to go through the sit down, stand up, sit down routine. I'll watch and enjoy the show regardless, but it's just a suggestion.

zachhoran

This Season's Pryamid
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2003, 07:23:17 PM »
[quote name=\'mbclev\' date=\'Nov 15 2003, 11:24 AM\']
If Adrienne was on the show, then maybe one of these days Constance McCashin might come on this version.  She is a great game show player, period(not just on "Pyramid"). [/quote]
 COnstance I don't think has a TV gig now? Lois Nettleton(though now in her 70s) has some role on "Crossing Jordan" as does Osmond semi-regular Steve Valentine, doesn't she? Melody Thomas Scott is also a damn good game show player, and she's still on Y&R. But they still picked Doug Davidson and Joshua Morrow to be on their soap weeks instead of her, oh well.

GSWitch

This Season's Pryamid
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2003, 11:08:01 PM »
Like placing money ON ACCOUNT in the old shopping days of Wheel, it's rare to see a contestant give the clues.

However, I witnessed a gentleman (who's a dead ringer for Leonard Maltin) give the clues every time he made it to the Winner's Circle during an 80's Pyramid run.

Goodson-Todman never allowed contestants to give clues on the bonus rounds of Password +/Super Password.  However, Body Language allowed the option of acting or receiving in the late run of the series.

If I was on Pyramid, I'd definately be "Leonard Maltin Lookalike 2"!

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
This Season's Pryamid
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2003, 11:19:19 PM »
[quote name=\'Gromit\' date=\'Nov 15 2003, 04:28 AM\'] Well, that's quite severe. The show is in no way "unwatchable", it's still Pyramid at heart.

The only thing I find strange is how they're standing around and they make such a big deal about who wants to give or receive. Let 'em relax in the chair for a few minutes. I don't really need to see them choose either, just having the choice is fine with me. [/quote]
 If it was at "heart"; the sexual innuendos and double entrandes (sp) wouldn't be present.  But they are.  As Chris mentioned; the judging is poor at best.

I won't comment about the celebrity cycle.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

TheInquisitiveOne

This Season's Pryamid
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2003, 01:19:35 AM »
If it was at "heart"; the sexual innuendos and double entrandes (sp) wouldn't be present. But they are. As Chris mentioned; the judging is poor at best.

I won't comment about the celebrity cycle.

There, in a nutshell, is what hurts this current version of Pyramid. The set could use some retooling as well.

For clarification purposes, it is spelled entendres. However, you meant well.

The Inquisitive One
This is the Way.

adamkendall

This Season's Pryamid
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2003, 01:12:18 PM »
I am a huge fan of the classic Pyramid.  In fact, it's my favorite game show format of all time.  

I don't find the current version "unwatchable" per se, but at the same time I can't say that I go out of my way to watch or tape it.  My thoughts and questions:

1).  The set looks good.  Let's face it...trilons are not coming back, not should they.  Putting the main game desks on a pedestal was a good aesthetic move for this season.

2).  Donny is what I would refer to as a functional host.  I don't think he sets the world on fire, but he does all right.

3).  Why don't they do the traditional walk to the winner's circle before the commercial break?  I agree, the cheesy give and receive decision should go.  It's a moot exercise.

4).  Why don't they plug the Super Six immediately after the main game categories?  I think they should have a Super Six only in the second round, and have it be a bigger prize.

5).  Why can't they structure the big Pyramid subjects like they used to, such as only having "What...would say" in the 2nd box?  I'm not sure if there was ever a reason for that on the original version(s), but it seemed to work well.

6).   Why did they get rid of audience applause between the answers in the winner's circle?  It sounds flat, and the absence of applause does not add to the drama.  Also, why can't family/friends of contestants run down to congratulate a $10,000/$25,000 winner?  Get the audience involved!  This would make the show much more appealing for me.

7).  6 in 20 seconds as opposed to 7 in 30 seconds was an EXCELLENT idea!!

A techno version of the classic theme song would also make me want to watch more.  I watched Family Feud more last season when they had the classic theme.  Call me superficial, but the throwbacks make a difference.

Thoughts?  Answers to the "why" questions?

TheInquisitiveOne

This Season's Pryamid
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2003, 06:19:52 PM »
Let's see...

1). The set looks good. Let's face it...trilons are not coming back, not should they. Putting the main game desks on a pedestal was a good aesthetic move for this season.

I agree...somewhat. Yes, trilons are a thing of the past, and yes, I like the monitor system. My gripe with the set is that it is too, well, "Millionaire"-esque. I love updates, but I also like the set to be warm and inviting (see the current versions of Feud and H2 to get an idea of what I am looking for). Also, they should have it where enough lights are killed to make the "Winner's Circle" more dramatic than what it is.

2). Donny is what I would refer to as a functional host. I don't think he sets the world on fire, but he does all right.

There is that certain energy I feel with Donny that makes him an enjoyable host. He is fun to be with. I just wish he wore a tie once in a while (not that it's a big deal; ties, to me, contain that extra sense of class).

3). Why don't they do the traditional walk to the winner's circle before the commercial break? I agree, the cheesy give and receive decision should go. It's a moot exercise.

If you are talking about the decision that is made on-screen, then I agree. I say that they should hearken back to the days of The $10,000/$20,000 Pyramid and ask for the decision before making that walk to the WC.

4). Why don't they plug the Super Six immediately after the main game categories? I think they should have a Super Six only in the second round, and have it be a bigger prize.

My main beef with the Super Six is (or was) that it was too self-promoting. They have improved on that lately. I say the the S6 should be something bigger during the tournament. Throw in the occasional car every once in a while...evin if it is one of those $8,000 econo-cars.

5). Why can't they structure the big Pyramid subjects like they used to, such as only having "What...would say" in the 2nd box? I'm not sure if there was ever a reason for that on the original version(s), but it seemed to work well.

That is really no big deal, to be honest with you. I DO wish that they had better writers. When you have a subject like "What Tom Cruise's Dentist Would Say," it is time for you to do some serious retooling.

6). Why did they get rid of audience applause between the answers in the winner's circle? It sounds flat, and the absence of applause does not add to the drama. Also, why can't family/friends of contestants run down to congratulate a $10,000/$25,000 winner? Get the audience involved! This would make the show much more appealing for me.

To address the former issue, many people have said that this is a good idea because they felt that the applause cut into the 60-second time limit often. The latter issue would be a good idea. If Wheel can do it, I am sure that Pyramid could do the same.

The other issues are well and good. I do not care if they do away with the Bob Stewart theme once and for all. I just want the theme music to be just that: MUSIC.

The Inquisitive One
This is the Way.

HSquares2003

This Season's Pryamid
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2003, 06:29:46 PM »
I find it hard to believe that Pat and Vanna don't have time to do even ONE SHOW of Pyramid(um, isn't Pyramid on the same Sony lot as their show).

Also, how about Donny vs. Marie with Dick Clark hosting for a day?
Now that would be a good one for Feb. Sweeps!

ChuckNet

This Season's Pryamid
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2003, 07:18:00 PM »
Also, how about Donny vs. Marie with Dick Clark hosting for a day?
Now that would be a good one for Feb. Sweeps!

Donny said that he was hoping to get Marie as a celeb this season, but her committments w/QVC, etc. kept her from doing so.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")