Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Game-show host memoirs  (Read 6414 times)

wkyken

Game-show host memoirs
« on: March 31, 2010, 08:20:58 AM »
I have Peter Marshall's "Backstage" memoir, but are there others around, whether in print or electronic form? Tom Kennedy has always been one of my favorites, and since he just turned 83, if he hasn't done one, I know a lot of game-show fanatics -- including me -- who would love it if he did.

What about other memoirs? Does anyone know if there are others available?

BrandonFG

Game-show host memoirs
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2010, 03:06:38 PM »
There's Bob Barker's book "Priceless Memories", which came out last year or so. Wink Martindale also wrote one called "Winking at Life".

And don't forget the classic "Vanna Speaks" from the late-80s.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

chad1m

Game-show host memoirs
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2010, 05:25:50 PM »
More recently, Tom Bergeron and Howie Mandel have also put out books, though of course they don't center around their hosting days. Even if you have a slight interest in either one of them, I recommend their books (especially if you can get it in audiobook format)

Neumms

Game-show host memoirs
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2010, 05:46:13 PM »
[quote name=\'chad1m\' post=\'238643\' date=\'Mar 31 2010, 04:25 PM\']More recently, Tom Bergeron and Howie Mandel have also put out books, though of course they don't center around their hosting days. Even if you have a slight interest in either one of them, I recommend their books (especially if you can get it in audiobook format)[/quote]

Does Howie show off by using a lot of long, difficult words?

chad1m

Game-show host memoirs
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2010, 06:59:14 PM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' post=\'238644\' date=\'Mar 31 2010, 05:46 PM\']Does Howie show off by using a lot of long, difficult words?[/quote]Like what? Watusi?
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 06:59:45 PM by chad1m »

mmb5

Game-show host memoirs
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2010, 08:32:54 PM »
There's Monty Hall's from the early 70s.  Be prepared for his complete salary history and whole bunch of self-loathing.
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

Winkfan

Game-show host memoirs
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2010, 09:38:31 PM »
There's also Bob Eubanks' It's In The Book, Bob; the title is a slight reference to that so-called "urban legend," that became not-so-urban after the first Most Outrageous Game Show Moments special in 2002.

And Betty White has written a couple of books about her life and career; I have both of them in paperback.

Hugh Downs and Merv Griffin have also put their life stories to pen and paper.

Cordially,
Tammy
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 10:25:06 PM by Winkfan »
"I've never stopped. I've never changed. I never did anything else."
- The Real Don Steele (1936-1997)

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
Game-show host memoirs
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2010, 09:13:02 AM »
There's Bob Barker's book "Priceless Memories", which came out last year or so.
It's a good book, unless you're one of those who picked it up expecting Barker to go over the lawsuits he got in his last 15 years as emcee. Would've been nice to hear what he had to say on it.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 06:22:56 AM by Dan88 »
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Game-show host memoirs
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2010, 08:17:54 PM »
[quote name=\'Dan88\' post=\'238857\' date=\'Apr 4 2010, 06:13 AM\']unless you're one of those who picked it up expecting Barker to go over the lawsuits he got in his last 15 years as emcee.[/quote]
...and if you did that, you're an idiot.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Tim L

Game-show host memoirs
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2010, 08:20:52 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'238867\' date=\'Apr 4 2010, 08:17 PM\'][quote name=\'Dan88\' post=\'238857\' date=\'Apr 4 2010, 06:13 AM\']unless you're one of those who picked it up expecting Barker to go over the lawsuits he got in his last 15 years as emcee.[/quote]
[/quote]

Agreed (though I would not have worded it that strongly)what would you expect Barker to say?

BrandonFG

Game-show host memoirs
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2010, 09:07:08 PM »
[quote name=\'Tim L\' post=\'238868\' date=\'Apr 4 2010, 08:20 PM\']Agreed (though I would not have worded it that strongly)what would you expect Barker to say?[/quote]
"She came on down, and they came on out..."

;-)
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Vahan_Nisanian

Game-show host memoirs
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2010, 10:54:19 PM »
I've never read Barker's autobiography (nor do I intend to), but I do wonder this:

Even though he never mentions his lawsuits, does he at least mention when they hired some of the original models (Dian, Holly, and Kathleen), and Rod Roddy?

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
Game-show host memoirs
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2010, 12:14:33 AM »
unless you're one of those who picked it up expecting Barker to go over the lawsuits he got in his last 15 years as emcee.
Agreed (though I would not have worded it that strongly)what would you expect Barker to say?
I would've expected Barker to at least admit that he did run into legal problems on occasion, and tell his side of what happened. I actually was one of those who wanted to see what he had to say on the subject, but he said in interviews that he didn't want to throw dirt at anybody.

Typically, if somebody writes an autobiography, they'll want to lump both the good and bad stuff together -- it presents a more complete and honest picture of the writer.

*pops balloon*

Even though he never mentions his lawsuits, does he at least mention when they hired some of the original models (Dian, Holly, and Kathleen), and Rod Roddy?
The old models aren't mentioned whatsoever, IIRC. Rod is only mentioned when Bob goes over the show's announcers since 1972 (the line goes "Johnny Olson, Rod Roddy, Rich Fields"), although that mention was probably the work of Diehl.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 06:26:13 AM by Dan88 »
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Game-show host memoirs
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2010, 12:27:54 AM »
[quote name=\'Dan88\' post=\'238873\' date=\'Apr 4 2010, 09:14 PM\']I would have expected Barker to at least admit that he did run into legal problems on occasion, and tell his side of what happened.[/quote]
Then....yeah.
I actually was one of those who wanted to see what he had to say on the subject
I am Jack's complete lack of surprise.
but he said in interviews that he didn't want to throw dirt at anybody.
On the advice of his attorneys, I'm sure.
Typically, if somebody writes an autobiography, they'll want to lump both the good and bad stuff together -- it presents a more complete and honest picture of the writer, regardless of whether the facts presented therein are true or not.
Are you friggin' kidding me?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Game-show host memoirs
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2010, 12:31:31 AM »
[quote name=\'Dan88\' post=\'238873\' date=\'Apr 4 2010, 09:14 PM\']Typically, if somebody writes an autobiography, they'll want to lump both the good and bad stuff together -- it presents a more complete and honest picture of the writer, regardless of whether the facts presented therein are true or not.[/quote] Like, for example...go ahead, I'll make a sandwich while I wait.

*pops balloon*
A popping balloon is comparable to "an unfinished list" in terms of labored catchphrases.
Travis L. Eberle