Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Chris Harrison to host the National Spelling Bee...  (Read 3967 times)

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Chris Harrison to host the National Spelling Bee...
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2010, 12:13:41 AM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'240325\' date=\'May 4 2010, 09:09 AM\']No knowledge is required, but all knowledge is good.  As they say in quiz bowl, there is no shame, only points.  It is certainly possible to know who Chris Harrison is without ever having watched his show.[/quote]One of my game night friends was a teammate on our High School quizzing team. My fondness for it is well known, and for some reason last Saturday I opined that "That guy who says There Is No Shame, Only Points never had to win a game by answering 'The Spice Girls.'"

[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'240331\' date=\'May 4 2010, 10:04 AM\']I guess the question is one of what tier of the reality oeuvre you'd place The Bachelor(rette) on.[/quote]I've seen just enough to know that I'm not keen on it. But I also know that the show was the forebearer for Average Joe, For Love or Money, and most of VH1 and MTV's programming block. To the degree that a television show can be important, The Bachelor made it so that an entire new generation could watch The Dating Game, if on Fast Forward.

Even if I haven't watched a show, I like to know a little about it, so that I don't come off as a snob when it comes up in water cooler conversation.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 12:15:22 AM by TLEberle »
Travis L. Eberle

weaklink75

« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2010, 12:29:22 AM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'240432\' date=\'May 6 2010, 12:13 AM\'][quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'240325\' date=\'May 4 2010, 09:09 AM\']No knowledge is required, but all knowledge is good.  As they say in quiz bowl, there is no shame, only points.  It is certainly possible to know who Chris Harrison is without ever having watched his show.[/quote]One of my game night friends was a teammate on our High School quizzing team. My fondness for it is well known, and for some reason last Saturday I opined that "That guy who says There Is No Shame, Only Points never had to win a game by answering 'The Spice Girls.'"

[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'240331\' date=\'May 4 2010, 10:04 AM\']I guess the question is one of what tier of the reality oeuvre you'd place The Bachelor(rette) on.[/quote]I've seen just enough to know that I'm not keen on it. But I also know that the show was the forebearer for Average Joe, For Love or Money, and most of VH1 and MTV's programming block. To the degree that a television show can be important, The Bachelor made it so that an entire new generation could watch The Dating Game, if on Fast Forward.

Even if I haven't watched a show, I like to know a little about it, so that I don't come off as a snob when it comes up in water cooler conversation.
[/quote]

And it's one of the more long lasting shows too- it debuted three months BEFORE American Idol did (March 2002 vs June 2002). Chris Harrison isn't one of the reality hosts who are a major part of the show- he's there mainly for the eliminations- so he tends to fade into the background, unlike hosts who do a lot of things during the show, such as Probst, Seacrest, or Bergeron. If you're a fan of the show, you'd know him, but if you're not, you'd have to look it up-for example if you asked a bunch of people if they heard of the show The Amazing Race, I'd bet more than half of those who have heard of the show wouldn't be able to tell you the host is Phil Keoghan.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 12:30:23 AM by weaklink75 »

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2010, 03:57:09 AM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'240432\' date=\'May 5 2010, 11:13 PM\'][quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'240325\' date=\'May 4 2010, 09:09 AM\']No knowledge is required, but all knowledge is good.  As they say in quiz bowl, there is no shame, only points.  It is certainly possible to know who Chris Harrison is without ever having watched his show.[/quote]One of my game night friends was a teammate on our High School quizzing team. My fondness for it is well known, and for some reason last Saturday I opined that "That guy who says There Is No Shame, Only Points never had to win a game by answering 'The Spice Girls.'"[/quote]
Semi-related disclosure: When I first saw this thread's subject line, I thought "Oh, that's the guy from Mall Masters, right?"

/He is the guy from Mall Masters, right?
This signature is currently under construction.

BrandonFG

« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2010, 07:54:46 AM »
[quote name=\'Joe Mello\' post=\'240442\' date=\'May 6 2010, 03:57 AM\']/He is the guy from Mall Masters, right?[/quote]
That's him.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2010, 11:02:13 AM »
[quote name=\'Joe Mello\' post=\'240442\' date=\'May 6 2010, 12:57 AM\']/He is the guy from Mall Masters, right?[/quote]
Correct! Your bonuses are on particle physics...
Travis L. Eberle