Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: When you're not looking  (Read 12387 times)

tyshaun1

When you're not looking
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2010, 06:04:12 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' post=\'238155\' date=\'Mar 24 2010, 12:44 PM\']On the 1982-84 version of Tattletales, after about the first three weeks or so, they never turned off the lights indicating a correct answer on camera.  After a round they’d change the score on camera, but the lights would remain on for as long as they were on that shot.  They’d cut to a close-up of Bert, and on the zoom-out heading to commercial, the lights would then be off.

I could never figure out why they did this – did they think it would have been too much of a distraction having the lights go off and the score changing at the same time?  Didn’t seem to be a problem on the ’74-78 version.[/quote]
Wasn't that a "Goodson" quirk in general? As I recall, on most Goodson shows that had chasing lights, the lights would continue to run until they were off camera, and when they were back on camera, the lights would have stopped.

Tyshaun

/Why I do I remember this kind of stuff?

gameshowcrazy

When you're not looking
« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2010, 06:18:34 PM »
Interesting part about the changing of the Wheel of Fortune board between rounds--in some years, depending on the background behind the contestants, you could see a reflection of the board being wheeled in from off-set.

Regarding the Jeopardy background change from blue to red, Alex even mentioned it on at least one episode.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
When you're not looking
« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2010, 06:18:38 PM »
/Why I do I remember this kind of stuff?
Yeah, why? I've got Mark Bowerman, Corey Cooper, Jake Tauber, Elliot Feldman, Joe Kaufmann, Bobby Sherman, Joe Neustein, even Edd Kalehoff as Facebook friends. They all used to work for G-T and probably only Bobby could even begin to remember let alone explain it.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 06:22:51 PM by chris319 »

Casey

When you're not looking
« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2010, 06:27:07 PM »
[quote name=\'ChuckNet\' post=\'238138\' date=\'Mar 23 2010, 11:00 PM\']Ditto for Face the Music, which had no podium for Ron Ely during game 1 and the Championship Game, but had it during games 2 and 3.[/quote]
Lots of things seemed to change off camera on Face the Music. The 3rd player's podium after game 2 would also go away.  And whole set pieces would change for the flip effects going in and out of commercial. :)

Allstar87

When you're not looking
« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2010, 01:45:25 AM »
Changes on the set that don't happen on camera

In the case of Catch 21's first season, it was a change OF set from maingame to bonus round.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 01:45:45 AM by Allstar87 »

pyrfan

When you're not looking
« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2010, 01:52:04 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'238172\' date=\'Mar 24 2010, 05:09 PM\'][quote name=\'whewfan\' post=\'238171\' date=\'Mar 24 2010, 02:02 PM\']Thankfully MG/HS resolved that problem by having contestants choose from 4 possible answers.[/quote]
...and created a new one in allowing someone the advantage of choosing first.
[/quote]
In all the episodes I've seen with a tiebreaker, though, the contestant who goes first is the one who didn't get to choose first in Round 1, so they at least tried to make things somewhat equitable.

Brendan

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
When you're not looking
« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2010, 02:25:45 AM »
[quote name=\'pyrfan\' post=\'238190\' date=\'Mar 24 2010, 10:52 PM\']In all the episodes I've seen with a tiebreaker, though, the contestant who goes first is the one who didn't get to choose first in Round 1, so they at least tried to make things somewhat equitable.[/quote]That's great, but if the other guy wins because he picked the answer that I want, I'll be a mite pissed.
Travis L. Eberle

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
When you're not looking
« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2010, 02:38:58 AM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'238191\' date=\'Mar 24 2010, 11:25 PM\']That's great, but if the other guy wins because he picked the answer that I want, I'll be a mite pissed.[/quote]
What Travis said. Picking first in Round 1 means precisely nothing because it's a blind choice.

Matt was being "thankful" (and I use quotes not to mock Matt, but to acknowledge that I am taking that statement in the spirit in which I am sure it was intended) because they fixed a production problem...and my point is that they created a much more egregious problem in doing so.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
When you're not looking
« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2010, 02:46:45 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'238192\' date=\'Mar 24 2010, 11:38 PM\']Matt was being "thankful" (and I use quotes not to mock Matt, but to acknowledge that I am taking that statement in the spirit in which I am sure it was intended) because they fixed a production problem...and my point is that they created a much more egregious problem in doing so.[/quote]And depending on if the show is running heavy or light, you can leave in the tiebreaker, watch as Gene gets more exasperated and so on, or cut it out and just have that one winning moment.

I would much prefer that a show be equitable to the contestants if at all possible, and if that means you leave out some inconsequential game stuff, that's fine by me.
Travis L. Eberle

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
When you're not looking
« Reply #39 on: March 25, 2010, 10:22:34 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'238192\' date=\'Mar 25 2010, 01:38 AM\'][quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'238191\' date=\'Mar 24 2010, 11:25 PM\']That's great, but if the other guy wins because he picked the answer that I want, I'll be a mite pissed.[/quote]
What Travis said. Picking first in Round 1 means precisely nothing because it's a blind choice.

Matt was being "thankful" (and I use quotes not to mock Matt, but to acknowledge that I am taking that statement in the spirit in which I am sure it was intended) because they fixed a production problem...and my point is that they created a much more egregious problem in doing so.
[/quote]
How exactly did the tie-breaker work?
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
When you're not looking
« Reply #40 on: March 25, 2010, 10:37:09 AM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' post=\'238195\' date=\'Mar 25 2010, 10:22 AM\']How exactly did the tie-breaker work?[/quote]

One Super Match-type question, four pre-written answers on the question toaster. Each contestant picked one, and the panel gave verbal responses one by one until one of the chosen answers was said.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

TimK2003

When you're not looking
« Reply #41 on: March 25, 2010, 10:54:25 AM »
Here's a few to add to the mix:

*  Talkabout -- Going into the bonus round, the cover or shade on the Isolation Booth wouldn't wouldn't be removed until right before the contestant partner would enter the booth, and as soon as that person would leave the booth, they would do a tight shot on Wayne &/or the contestants until the cover would be back on.

*  Trebek's High Rollers -- In the later years, they would always wait until the camera was off the "Prize Wall" behind the contestants before they would swap out the list of prize slides with the dice icon, which usually was seen during the Big Numbers and show close segments.  This way, they could swap out or add any prize slides in between games.  

Once in a while though, before they would have the dice logo, you could sometimes make out shadows of the stage crew changing the slides through the screen.  It looked like the prize list was on a hinged door that would swing to the side, and the dice logo may have been on an opposite-hinged door of some sort.

Jumpondees

When you're not looking
« Reply #42 on: March 25, 2010, 11:59:27 AM »
Correct me if I am wrong, but on $ale, with the exception of one blooper in particular , we never got to see the set change where the Instant Bargain was revealed.  I believe it was on a turntable where the Fame Game board was.

WhammyPower

When you're not looking
« Reply #43 on: March 25, 2010, 02:08:50 PM »
Here's a slightly obscure one:

Dawson Feud, when the Fast Money microphone is put in place.

Mr. Bill

When you're not looking
« Reply #44 on: March 25, 2010, 05:12:32 PM »
[quote name=\'SFQuizKid\' post=\'238140\' date=\'Mar 24 2010, 01:09 AM\'][quote name=\'ActualRetailMike\' post=\'238122\' date=\'Mar 23 2010, 05:32 PM\']One that doesn't count is the individual score displays on the 10k pyramid (and others?). Did anyone else ever notice how, while the contestants walked toward the winner's circle, the numeric displays sequentially cycled back, i.e., they went 33, 44, 55.... 99 then blank?  I used to be puzzled why the display could go that high since the contestants could never score that much, even if they got every clue right.[/quote]
Too bad you say that one doesn't count!  Signaltron displays had a fixed number of leaves and so each digit had to go 1-2-3-...-9-0-blank.  And on the original Pyramid tiebreakers just added to the existing round score.  One game score with several tiebreakers went into the 30s or 40s.
[/quote]
Anson Williams vs. Adrienne Barbeau, July 4, 1976.  Four tiebreakers, final score 44-43, but I forgot who won.  They played three tie-breakers before the commercial break, then coming back Dick mentioned that if nobody won on the fourth tie-breaker the scores would be zeroed and they would just go immediately to the second game.  The two teams matched 7s through the first three IIRC.  So with 7 total rounds at a possible 7 points each, that would have been a max of 49, so they were well matched.

This game, btw, I think, was the major reason for changing to the later format based on elapsed time to complete 7.