Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: H2 Bonus Round question  (Read 5440 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
H2 Bonus Round question
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2003, 01:07:04 AM »
[quote name=\'Brakus\' date=\'Nov 10 2003, 10:28 PM\'] And how does the car "start" when the contestant successfully chooses the correct key? [/quote]
 Well, assuming the key does fit the lock (and isn't a dummy replacement), it would still click over to the start position, indicating that it was the right key. A bad key wouldn't click out of the home position.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

bricon

H2 Bonus Round question
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2003, 10:42:50 AM »
On Friday's show when Alana went for the car, when she put it in and tried to turn it over, she had a look on her face like she knew she didn't win, and then all of a sudden the car started and had a look of genuine surprise and happiness.

Was that made to look good?

No, it was just her thinking she was going to hear "oh no!", and then the car "started".

And how does the car "start" when the contestant successfully chooses the correct key?

We have a chart with the key rack, the order in which to kill the bad keys, and of course which one is the winning key.  Word also comes down from the booth "bad key", or "good key".  The appropriate sound effect is triggered based on that.

cmjb13

H2 Bonus Round question
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2003, 12:03:49 PM »
[quote name=\'bricon\' date=\'Nov 11 2003, 10:42 AM\'] Word also comes down from the booth "bad key", or "good key".  The appropriate sound effect is triggered based on that. [/quote]
Well, it's more like "Bad Key" "Bad Key" "Bad Key"

Tom also looks to one of the crew members, who plays as the contestant during rehersal, after the contestant picks a key. Tom sees either a nod (yes) or a shake of the head (no). I wonder why they tell Tom. Couldn't it be a suprise?

I'm waiting for one of these days for a contestant to look to the crowd and briefly see the guy shaking his head (bad key) and say something about it. Of course, that would probably be edited out.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2003, 12:04:00 PM by cmjb13 »
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

Matt Ottinger

H2 Bonus Round question
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2003, 01:11:04 PM »
I wonder why they tell Tom. Couldn't it be a suprise?
Why?  It serves the production no purpose for Tom to be surprised.  If he knows, he gets to be ready for what happens next.  As a professional broadcaster, he can make a win sound just as exciting even if he already knows it's coming.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
H2 Bonus Round question
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2003, 08:20:09 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Nov 11 2003, 01:11 PM\']As a professional broadcaster, he can make a win sound just as exciting even if he already knows it's coming.[/quote]
I don't know... as a regular viewer, I figured out a while ago that Tom is told whether the key is a winner before the reveal, and I've noticed that when the key is the correct one, he tends to say something while the contestant is inserting the key that will lead to a proclamation of victory (made-up example: "He says it's absolutely gotta be the middle key... [open] ...and he's absolutely right!" Pretty much any time Tom says something that ends with an ellipsis, I know that the contestant is about to win. Okay, so I only figure it out two seconds before the win actually happens, but still, it kind of takes the fun out of it.

--
Scott Robinson

On the other hand, being told in advance whether the chosen key is a winner can come in handy... I remember an episode where the contestant turned the key but didn't push on the trunk, so Tom gently pulled the trunk open from where he was standing to move things along.

Matt Ottinger

H2 Bonus Round question
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2003, 08:29:12 PM »
Okay, so I only figure it out two seconds before the win actually happens, but still, it kind of takes the fun out of it.
And once again I am reminded that there are people who take their game shows a lot more seriously than I do.  

Next thing, I guess, will be for the internet to get to a sufficient speed that people will be posting SPOILERS in that two-second interval.  (Zach's pretty close to that now.)  Followed, naturally, by the backlash from people upset that the results were spoiled.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

zachhoran

H2 Bonus Round question
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2003, 08:32:15 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Nov 12 2003, 08:29 PM\']

Next thing, I guess, will be for the internet to get to a sufficient speed that people will be posting SPOILERS in that two-second interval.  (Zach's pretty close to that now.)  Followed, naturally, by the backlash from people upset that the results were spoiled. [/quote]
 I don't think my four year old computer can post something in two seconds, but maybe in the near future.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
H2 Bonus Round question
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2003, 10:09:58 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Nov 12 2003, 06:32 PM\'] I don't think my four year old computer can post something in two seconds, but maybe in the near future. [/quote]
 Don't let that stop you from trying, tho, by God.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe