The Game Show Forum > The Big Board

TPIR/MDS suggestion

(1/7) > >>

Michael Brandenburg:
We'll probably have some more special prime-time Price is Right episodes next spring (in between seasons of Survivor! on CBS), so I thought I'd like to suggest a change on the "Big Wheel" prizes to both promote something new that will be coming out at that time and as a tribute to the zany humor of their late announcer, Rod Roddy.

Here's the change: Each on-stage contestant in each half of the show spins the "Big Wheel" as before, with the contestant getting closest to $1.00 without going over advancing to the final "Showcase" round.  However, if a contestant gets exactly $1.00 in either one spin or a combination of two spins, the contestant also gets a "bonus spin," as before, for a chance to win a bonus cash prize.

If the contestant gets the red "$1.00" space on his/her bonus spin, the contestant wins $1 million, as had previously been the case on the TPIR prime-time specials.  Further, if the contestant lands on the green "15-cent" space that is just past the "$1.00" space on the wheel, he/she wins a consolation prize in the form of a check for $5,000, again as before.

But if the contestant lands on the green "5-cent" space that is just before the "$1.00" space on the wheel, we have a new consolation prize for that contestant, which is (as Rod Roddy would have no doubt delivered it):

"It’s ONE…

HUNDRED…

THOUSAND…

NICKELS!

And they aren't wooden nickels either, but are the first of two special commemorative nickels being issued this year by the U.S. Mint.  These legal-tender coins feature the portrait of America’s third president, Thomas Jefferson, on one side, and on the other, the Jefferson Peace Medal commemorating the purchase of the 800,000 square-mile Louisiana Territory from France in 1803.  Total face value of these geniune nickel nickels, FIVE THOUSAND DOLLARS!"

Michael Brandenburg
   (Well, the recently introduced redesigned $20 bill got quite a few plugs on Wheel of Fortune and Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, so why not these new up-and-coming nickels?)

GS Warehouse:
[quote name=\'Michael Brandenburg\' date=\'Nov 10 2003, 11:49 AM\'] (Well, the recently introduced redesigned $20 bill got quite a few plugs on Wheel of Fortune and Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, so why not these new up-and-coming nickels?) [/quote]
 At the risk of going off-topic: the redesigned $20 bill is not being received very well.  It's being rejected by vending machines, and it took only one week for counterfeits to be discovered.  Back to the drawing board.

ObGameShows: The "Sacajawa" and "Socka-wocky" moments on questions involving the then-new golden dollar were LOL funny.

clemon79:
[quote name=\'Michael Brandenburg\' date=\'Nov 10 2003, 09:49 AM\'] Total face value of these geniune nickel nickels, FIVE THOUSAND DOLLARS!"
 [/quote]
 All things being equal, I'd rather that the US Treasury spend the tax dollars that I pay to support it on something other than self-promotion on a game show.

Jay Temple:
Agreed, but if they're going to waste money promoting a new coin anyway, this would be cool place to waste it.

clemon79:
[quote name=\'Jay Temple\' date=\'Nov 10 2003, 01:12 PM\'] Agreed, but if they're going to waste money promoting a new coin anyway, this would be cool place to waste it. [/quote]
 Frankly I think it would be perfectly asinine. But that's JMODO.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version