Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Level-B Game Show Phrases  (Read 14036 times)

BrandonFG

Level-B Game Show Phrases
« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2010, 07:50:54 PM »
The TPiR fail horns are quite popular amongst my friends and co-workers, whether it's hummed or the actual sound effect. The Bankrupt sound effect from Wheel is also quite popular at work.

I also like to throw out a quick "Survey says...BZZZZZ!" to jokingly refute a point, and I've had at least one friend say "Bzz-bzz...try again" from Fast Money.

Yes, I hang with people just as nerdy and juvenile as me at times. Big whoop, wanna fight about it?!
« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 07:55:23 PM by fostergray82 »
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Chief-O

« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2010, 09:56:40 PM »
Sometimes, when things just fall apart during one of our tapings at the public access station, I wish I had an Easy Button-style device that plays the TPIR losing horns.
.....and it goes like this!!!

GameShowGuru

« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2010, 01:30:34 AM »
Not a phrase per se, but worthy of mention:

Don't know how many people listen to public radio, but whenever I listen to PRI's radio show "Marketplace" and the host prepares to announce the stock segment of the program: "But first, let's do the numbers", I have a habit of doing the High Rollers drumroll.

One really bad habit I had about 8-9 years ago that took a while to break was whenever someone said something to the effect of: "[Noun/Verb] is so [adjective]", I couldn't help but bust out with a "How [adjective] is/was it?"

Whenever someone declines an offer by saying "I'll [have to] pass", I make the Press Your Luck pass SFX.

Whenever I played Scrabble or was watching someone else play, and they disagreed with an opponent's word and said, "I challenge", I made the Hot Potato "WHOOP-CLANG" SFX.

Just to name a few.

davidhammett

« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2010, 01:41:22 AM »
[quote name=\'ethanmx2\' post=\'233491\' date=\'Jan 3 2010, 05:27 PM\']PS: Where do you guys bowl? I bowl at Gable House here in Torrance, and would love to get in a team of fello GS geeks :P[/quote]
We're just one team in an otherwise "normal" league at Valencia Lanes in Newhall.

whoww

« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2010, 01:49:11 AM »
[quote name=\'tomobrien\' post=\'233441\' date=\'Jan 2 2010, 02:25 PM\']"I'll freeze, Bill."[/quote]

Tom,

Happy New Year.

Ronnie G.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2010, 04:31:46 AM »
We're just one team in an otherwise "normal" league at Valencia Lanes in Newhall.
If it's in Newhall then why don't they call it Newhall Lanes? I suppose you're going to tell me it's because there's already a Newhall Lanes in Valencia.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2010, 04:39:59 AM »
I am pleased to say that I pronounce "new car" and "Drew Carey" with normal inflection.

"Not a match, the board goes back..."
I hope you don't make a "klunklunk ... klunk" noise after saying this.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 04:44:24 AM by chris319 »

davidhammett

« Reply #37 on: January 04, 2010, 09:50:26 AM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'233513\' date=\'Jan 4 2010, 04:31 AM\']
If it's in Newhall then why don't they call it Newhall Lanes? I suppose you're going to tell me it's because there's already a Newhall Lanes in Valencia.
[/quote]
Actually, there's only two places up there... Valencia Lanes and Santa Clarita Lanes (the latter being more appropriately named).  Beats me why Valencia's name doesn't match the location!

Don Howard

« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2010, 09:59:20 AM »
These threads do careen off-course, don't they?
Staying with the bowling theme while incorporating the original spirit of this topic, whenever I've bowled a few bad frames, I'll usually say, "Oh, The Pin Pal at home is going to be very disappointed with me".
[quote name=\'uncleplinko\' post=\'233483\' date=\'Jan 3 2010, 03:03 PM\']When I moderated rounds for a regional College Bowl tournament a couple of years ago, I tried to keep a steady pace, but interject humor when the moment called for it.  Every team in our Region (Region 7: Midwest, for all you former CB'ers) got it, went with it, chuckled, and enjoyed it. I even won "Best Moderator" that year.[/quote]
Which was very well deserved. During the couple of years I "coached" (that's a crock; the first year I was the so-called coach I didn't know half the darned rules) Ohio University's team, I just knocked it up. But when you succeeded me, you married it. And I couldn't have been prouder.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 10:48:22 AM by Don Howard »

Mr. Bill

« Reply #39 on: January 04, 2010, 03:55:09 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'233513\' date=\'Jan 4 2010, 04:31 AM\']
[/quote]
BA-DUM-BUMP!!!

When I see an absolutely horrible contestant on TPIR, I invoke the spirit of Gilbert Gottfried:  YOU FOOL!!!

Ian Wallis

« Reply #40 on: January 04, 2010, 05:11:40 PM »
My bowling team of game show aficionados is called "High Rollers."

I bowled in a league from '73-84 (when I was VERY young!)  One year when it came time to name our team nobody could think of anything, so one of my teammates suggested "High Rollers" and that's what we went by.  I don't think he'd ever seen the show.

Another year I was on a team of three called "Three's Company".  

I guess we watched too much TV back then!
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

Gus

« Reply #41 on: January 04, 2010, 09:04:51 PM »
[quote name=\'bscripps\' post=\'233474\' date=\'Jan 3 2010, 11:28 AM\']But let me try to one-up y'all.  We have an audio clip player that, when I'm running audio for a newscast, I don't use at all.  I've hidden a handful of game show sound effects in that system, and leave it in cue (meaning we can hear it in the control room speakers, but it doesn't go out over the air).  When we get into a break and the director mentions something that was wrong and needs to be fixed for future shows, I'll trigger the TPiR losing horns.  When someone is asked a question, out comes the Jeopardy! think music.  And, on a good night, I'll get the Pyramid clock sound effect started exactly 60 seconds before the end of the show; once we get down to the last 10 seconds or so and we're just waiting for the show to come to an end, I'll fade that up in cue and, if I timed it right, the buzzer sounds right on time.

\I love being a nerd[/quote]
Exact same thing here, except we actually use our Digicart for the news, so I can't do the Pyramid thing since we already have the ending music deadrolled on it. I actually do play the 1964-1997 era Jeopardy! think music on air for our daily Weather Trivia bit, and since the anchor gets to answer the question, I have another button with a triple-NBC-ding-and-McKenzie-applause for a correct answer, and another with a Family-Feud-"strike"-followed-by-McKenzie-"aww" for a wrong answer. And just for fun off-air, I have TPIR Losing Horns, Bankrupt, Whammy Buzz, Whammy Boing, that two-note synthesized "weeeew-weeeeeeew" from the unused Card Sharks tracks, three dings by themselves, a dramatic stinger, Castle Thunder, and "Hallelujah". Not to mention several random pieces of music.

TimK2003

« Reply #42 on: January 04, 2010, 09:57:05 PM »
[quote name=\'Fedya\' post=\'233494\' date=\'Jan 3 2010, 05:27 PM\'][quote name=\'TeppanYaki\' post=\'233489\' date=\'Jan 3 2010, 05:00 PM\'][quote name=\'davidhammett\' post=\'233486\' date=\'Jan 3 2010, 03:36 PM\']Any suggestions for 10-12?[/quote]
10 - the theme music to Card Sharks 78
[/quote]
Isn't that the same theme as Trebek Double Dare?  If so, it would be more appropriate for two strikes in a row.

As for when your teammates throw a really bad ball, the obvious phrase to use is the "Good answer!  Good answer!" nonsense from Family Feud that everybody used no matter how awful the answer.
[/quote]

For any converted split, you could always play the Split Second 'back from commercial' cue, and any missed split could earn the Split Second foghorn.

Loogaroo

« Reply #43 on: January 05, 2010, 03:56:03 AM »
I like going into the Double Dare rules spiel at the start of a long explanation of procedure.

"So here's how you play Munchkin. I'm going to ask a question, and if you don't know the answer or think the other team doesn't have a clue..."
You're in a room. You're wearing a silly hat.
There are letters on the floor. They spell "NOPE".

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #44 on: January 05, 2010, 11:03:35 AM »
[quote name=\'Loogaroo\' post=\'233596\' date=\'Jan 5 2010, 02:56 AM\']I like going into the Double Dare rules spiel at the start of a long explanation of procedure.

"So here's how you play Munchkin. I'm going to ask a question, and if you don't know the answer or think the other team doesn't have a clue..."[/quote]
We once had a College Bowl moderator who would start off his spiels with the Double Dare spiel. Some teams wouldn't get the joke until he got to the "take the physical challenge" part, but everybody would end up laughing.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.