Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Level-B Game Show Phrases  (Read 14037 times)

Thunder

Level-B Game Show Phrases
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2010, 02:36:02 AM »
[quote name=\'comicus\' post=\'233444\' date=\'Jan 2 2010, 07:54 PM\']I often use "...yours for the low low Sale of the Century price of (___)" when speaking of something ridiculously cheap or ludicrously overpriced.  Few get it. ...[/quote]

Weird timing on that one, because I used the very same "Low $ale of the Century price of just $50" on a SouthsideCentral blog article tonight. Heh.
http://www.southsidecentral.com/wordpress/...-of-fame-clock/

Bill Neuweiler

« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2010, 09:35:45 AM »
A lady ordering dinner opted to chose an appetizer instead of an entree for her main course.  In her ordering she said to me, the waiter, "Bill I think I'm going to go off the board and take the calamari."   She knew she referenced something, but was unsure as to what game it was exactly.  Either way I thought it was cool.
<p>I share a birthday with Jack Barry.

Yogi007

« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2010, 10:19:47 AM »
I have also used the "one down, nine to go, Ms. Francis" at work (and nobody understands it). In addition, I have used pacdude's TPIR's horns from his website at work when somebody did something that warranted an EPIC FAIL.  My coworker doesn't have the website saved on her desktop for easy access, but when she needs it, she'll just say the words just has it is sounded and to me, it's just funny to hear it from her.  Thanks Cory!
sarcasm included at no extra charge

bscripps

• Button-Pushing Monkey
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2010, 12:28:44 PM »
I've used "Will the mystery guest enter and sign in please?" and "One down, nine to go" quite frequently (several of my coworkers are actually old enough to remember the references from the original airings), but I might have to borrow the "Joker...Joker...Maps of Nations" mentioned earlier--I like that one a lot.

But let me try to one-up y'all.  We have an audio clip player that, when I'm running audio for a newscast, I don't use at all.  I've hidden a handful of game show sound effects in that system, and leave it in cue (meaning we can hear it in the control room speakers, but it doesn't go out over the air).  When we get into a break and the director mentions something that was wrong and needs to be fixed for future shows, I'll trigger the TPiR losing horns.  When someone is asked a question, out comes the Jeopardy! think music.  And, on a good night, I'll get the Pyramid clock sound effect started exactly 60 seconds before the end of the show; once we get down to the last 10 seconds or so and we're just waiting for the show to come to an end, I'll fade that up in cue and, if I timed it right, the buzzer sounds right on time.

\I love being a nerd
Ben Scripps. Professional button-pushing monkey.

Marc412

« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2010, 01:26:19 PM »
For me, watching sports gives me many chances to use phrases from game shows.  For example:

When watching a football game, I sometimes say, "Your two-minute drill... begins now!" at the appropriate moment, i.e., when the trailing team has the ball with two minutes left in the game, and they can win or tie with a TD or field goal.  (Similarly, in 2008, the last year of the Arena Football League, I sometimes announced the last minute of a game with the words "We start the speed round... NOW!")

And I don't know how many times I've said, "One to tie, two to win" or similar words in the closing moments of a game, be it baseball, football, basketball, etc.

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2010, 02:00:58 PM »
I'm glad I'm not the only person stealing lines from John Daly.

[quote name=\'DrBear\' post=\'233442\' date=\'Jan 2 2010, 06:27 PM\']One I've definitely picked up as has my wife is Brett Somers' favorite on-air expression, "good gravy Marie."[/quote]
I catch myself saying "Criminy Dutch" every once in a while.

(Never did understand that one...and yet I say it.)

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2010, 02:30:11 PM »
I use Trebek's "Oooh, sorry..." quite a bit.

In College Bowl practices when we pulled out Trivial Pursuit and it came down to the winning question, I would come up with a Jack Barry-esque monologue.

Whenever I'm repairing a computer that won't even turn on, I use "Let's light up the board" from Now You See It when trying to power it up.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 02:30:22 PM by rollercoaster87 »
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

vtown7

« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2010, 02:36:04 PM »
I've coached my school's quiz bowl team for the last five years and last year became the regional coordinator, complete with two tourneys at my school.  To my delight (ok, I planned it) I got to host the majority of the games at the regional level and have caught myself several times stating "... is the wrong answer" a la Chris Tarrant.

Question for those of you who currently or previously get to host/moderate these high school quiz games: Do you find at times the kids are a bit too into it?  I try to keep a light hearted mood to the atmosphere but sometimes I have some players who look like they're going shoot laser beams from their eyes if I don't move onto the next question immediately.  With that being said, I know when to be serious during the final rounds of the game.

Ryan.

/who was disappointed when he had to read out a question asking the "largest lake in the world" but not specifying if the answer referred to depth or surface area

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2010, 02:44:59 PM »
[quote name=\'vtown7\' post=\'233481\' date=\'Jan 3 2010, 01:36 PM\']Question for those of you who currently or previously get to host/moderate these high school quiz games: Do you find at times the kids are a bit too into it?  I try to keep a light hearted mood to the atmosphere but sometimes I have some players who look like they're going shoot laser beams from their eyes if I don't move onto the next question immediately.  With that being said, I know when to be serious during the final rounds of the game.[/quote]
We're instructed that no matter how fast or how slow we go, to keep the same pace throughout the game to keep it fair. If both teams agree at the half that my pace needs to be altered, then I adjust accordingly. Once, we had a team who was down by about 50 points with a minute left nearly yelling at me to speed up. I just kept my pace for the whole game, and they lost. I got quite a few nasty glares after that, despite my explanation that my unexpected change in speed would be seen as cheating in their favor.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

uncleplinko

« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2010, 03:03:01 PM »
[quote name=\'vtown7\' post=\'233481\' date=\'Jan 3 2010, 02:36 PM\']Question for those of you who currently or previously get to host/moderate these high school quiz games: Do you find at times the kids are a bit too into it?  I try to keep a light hearted mood to the atmosphere but sometimes I have some players who look like they're going shoot laser beams from their eyes if I don't move onto the next question immediately.  With that being said, I know when to be serious during the final rounds of the game.[/quote]

When I moderated rounds for a regional College Bowl tournament a couple of years ago, I tried to keep a steady pace, but interject humor when the moment called for it.  Every team in our Region (Region 7: Midwest, for all you former CB'ers) got it, went with it, chuckled, and enjoyed it.  I even won "Best Moderator" that year.  Twas a great year...and hosted by Ohio U, so no travel!
HomeGameEntertainment.com
"Bringing The Contestant Experience Home"

chad1m

« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2010, 03:28:46 PM »
[quote name=\'uncleplinko\' post=\'233483\' date=\'Jan 3 2010, 03:03 PM\']I tried to keep a steady pace, but interject humor when the moment called for it.[/quote]That's how I moderate (for the middle school league). Keep things flowing, but if an obvious joke or reference should be made, go ahead and make it but make it quickly. In my quiz bowl career, I've had too many moderators take 45 seconds to read a question or just sit there bored out of their mind, as if they'd rather be anywhere else. I take pride in how well I read and run things because I want to make sure the kids have a good time.

Thread relation: During our lightning rounds, I often steal "The lightning round begins... now" from Matt Ottinger who in turn stole it from Jim Perry.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 03:29:31 PM by chad1m »

davidhammett

« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2010, 04:36:32 PM »
Back to the original topic... sort of...

My bowling team of game show aficionados is called "High Rollers."  We'll use a variety of game show sayings very naturally through a typical match (e.g., if we think someone's going to make a strike, then doesn't, you might hear "Joker, Joker... Pot Luck Pix" or some such), but our more distinctive trademark are the game show sound effects that we use when we bowl x strikes in a row.  Our current line-up of effects are as follows:

2 strikes in a row (double)... the "doubles" sound effect from Wink's High Rollers
3 strikes in a row (turkey)... the buzz-in from Blockbusters (which does sound eerily similar to a gobbling turkey)
4 strikes in a row... the Double Showcase "whoop whoop"
5 strikes in a row... the clanging bell from a $ale Surprise
6 strikes in a row... the first few notes, then clapping from the opening of Bullseye
7 strikes in a row... the 4-stars-can-be-captured effect from Battlestars
8 strikes in a row... the theme music to Pitfall
9 strikes in a row... the theme music to Whew!

Our averages are in the 150's and 160's, so we don't get much above 3 or 4 strikes in a row often; the most anyone had in a regular game was 7.  (We created 8 and 9 when we needed them for a no tap tournament.)

Any suggestions for 10-12?

NickS

« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2010, 05:00:27 PM »
[quote name=\'davidhammett\' post=\'233486\' date=\'Jan 3 2010, 03:36 PM\']Any suggestions for 10-12?[/quote]
10 - the theme music to Card Sharks 78
11 - the theme music to 25,000 Pyramid -> homage to a "7-11"
I'd say for a perfect game you could do the lot win music from $OTC.

Just my .02.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 05:00:52 PM by TeppanYaki »

ethanmx2

« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2010, 05:27:51 PM »
I agree that a perfect game needs the lot win from $ale, but I think there's one better.

for 10: Perhaps the ladder or the win cue from Trivia Trap

for 11: The roll has to be the $500,000 final answer from Millionaire, with the win cue if you get it.

for 12: The setup: Million dollar question cue; the roll: $1M final answer; hit: $1m win cue; miss: $1m lose cue

PS: Where do you guys bowl? I bowl at Gable House here in Torrance, and would love to get in a team of fello GS geeks :P

Fedya

« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2010, 07:27:57 PM »
[quote name=\'TeppanYaki\' post=\'233489\' date=\'Jan 3 2010, 05:00 PM\'][quote name=\'davidhammett\' post=\'233486\' date=\'Jan 3 2010, 03:36 PM\']Any suggestions for 10-12?[/quote]
10 - the theme music to Card Sharks 78
[/quote]
Isn't that the same theme as Trebek Double Dare?  If so, it would be more appropriate for two strikes in a row.

As for when your teammates throw a really bad ball, the obvious phrase to use is the "Good answer!  Good answer!" nonsense from Family Feud that everybody used no matter how awful the answer.
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at http://justacineast.blogspot.com/

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post