Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Level-B Game Show Phrases  (Read 14033 times)

tvmitch

Level-B Game Show Phrases
« on: January 02, 2010, 12:47:58 PM »
Do you ever find yourself saying a B-level catchphrase from a game show in your work or home environment? The kind of thing where you say it almost for your own amusement and not because you expect the other party to know the reference? I'm not talking about "Big Bucks No Whammies" here.

Example: I have a dry erase surface in my office that's across from my desk on the wall. Last week, my boss walked in and asked me a question, and I had already doodled out an answer on the surface. I said to my boss:

"Look at the board."

Any other ones you guys use?
You should follow me on Twitter

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2010, 12:57:53 PM »
One that I hear more often, usually in the club, is from "The Big Showdown"...."and that puts the block on Jim."  From "Hot Seat," "no, I wouldn't do that."
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

geno57

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2010, 01:15:09 PM »
"Good answer!  Good answer!"

"Not a match, the board goes back..."

"Circle gets the square!"

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2010, 02:15:56 PM »
[quote name=\'tvmitch\' post=\'233421\' date=\'Jan 2 2010, 09:47 AM\']Do you ever find yourself saying a B-level catchphrase from a game show in your work or home environment?[/quote]Almost constantly, depending on the environment. My sister got several rolls worth of one-dollar bills as a gift this Christmas. As she finished unrolling and counting the money I said, "Now you can keep the money there or trade it for the box on Jay's tray." I actually got a small laugh from the family.
Travis L. Eberle

tomobrien

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2010, 05:25:12 PM »
"I'll freeze, Bill."

DrBear

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2010, 06:27:37 PM »
I remember when "Three on a Match" was on, I was in high school and a bunch of us used to say "that's true, Bill" whenever it seemed appropriate.

One I've definitely picked up as has my wife is Brett Somers' favorite on-air expression, "good gravy Marie."

I keep looking for reasons to insert "that's one down and nine to go, Miss Kilgallen?" into conversations.
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

comicus

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2010, 07:54:55 PM »
I often use "...yours for the low low Sale of the Century price of (___)" when speaking of something ridiculously cheap or ludicrously overpriced.  Few get it.  Most of the same also question why I say "See you tomorrow, I hope" when I'm saying fare-thee-well.

My friend Chuck is fond of using the phrase "Joker, JOKER... (*dejected voice*) Maps of States" in "epic fail" situations.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 07:57:48 PM by comicus »

Clay Zambo

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2010, 08:02:26 PM »
Did I ever use a game-show catch-phrase in ordinary conversation?

Yes, I did, Geoff.
czambo@mac.com

Mr. Matté

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2010, 09:21:11 PM »
I often use the misquote "DOUBLING THE ____________!!11" followed by fake cheers with the blank filled in by whatever I saw, usually something I don't like.

Also, I use Gene Rayburn's "What's in the paper today, Charles?" a lot even when the person who is reading the newspaper isn't named Charles.

The Ol' Guy

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2010, 09:58:10 PM »
I also like to work in "That's one down and nine to go...Bennett?" when possible. There are a few machines at the factory that give out with a couple of quick buzzer sounds back-to-back, and I'll tend to say, "Try again." Usually under my breath, while co-workers mentally measure me for a Kalamazoo tuxedo.

uncleplinko

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2010, 10:37:16 PM »
If I get a drink out of the fridge, I will say, "Going once?  Going twice??  No sale."
If it's a difficult decision, I'll sometimes go, "Here's your extra time."
When someone tries to get my attention, in my best Paul Lynde, I'll turn and say, "Whaddya want, Beaver Face?"
I have worked in, "One down, nine to go, Miss Killgallen" into conversation...usually gets a giggle.

My college friends have now taken to saying "Pow-pow-pachow" ("Price's" losing horns) in disappointing situations.
HomeGameEntertainment.com
"Bringing The Contestant Experience Home"

davidhammett

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2010, 10:48:36 PM »
I've used several of the ones already mentioned, plus:

... when someone is wrong, in my best Art Fleming, "No, sorry..."
... likewise, if some (female) celebrity is mentioned, I might interject, "... a lovely lady and performer..."
... if someone is debating getting dessert: "Do you quit, or do you go on?"
... I might tell someone to give it "everything you've got!"
... if someone didn't quite complete a task: "Well, you did get the all important 1..."
... when someone has made up their mind, I might comment, "It cannot be changed."

/more to come?

comicus

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2010, 11:04:18 PM »
"It doesn't count and you DON'T get to spin again."  -- used infrequently in response to embarrassing moments of fail.

/reaching

Unrealtor

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2010, 12:31:07 AM »
I'll occasionally use "Here is your first subject... Go!". That's about the only one that isn't universally recognized.
"It's for £50,000. If you want to, you may remove your trousers."

TimK2003

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2010, 12:50:51 AM »
When I'm in a surly mood, I'll pull an Alex Trebek "I Speak French So Superior" attitude and will say something along the lines of "Ooh, I'm sorry, the correct response was, "What is Boo-jhay, Boo-jhoo-lay" or something that sounds very French...

I also tend to say Sevennnahhh, and Many Moon Come -- Niner, a lot.

Does any Celebrity Jeopardy/Sean Connery "Trebek's Mother" retort count too???