Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: BtB '76  (Read 11867 times)

tvmitch

BtB '76
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2009, 04:27:15 PM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'229662\' date=\'Nov 2 2009, 02:19 AM\'][quote name=\'Twentington\' post=\'229660\' date=\'Nov 1 2009, 11:09 PM\']One thing I thought stuck out was the fact that claiming three moneybags won the game instantly, no matter how much work the other contestant did. In the debut ep, the female contestant answers way more questions right, but the male contestant ends up winning just because he stumbled into all three bags.[/quote]But you can't "stumble into all three bags." You have to give up your turn twice to do so.
[/quote]
Travis is right here; there was some strategy to the three bags element of the game. I remember an episode when there was basically a deadlock between both contestants and their color-money squares, and they both started to look for the moneybags (or the wild card), which made for a very interesting hide-and-go-seek match. I think, more often than not, those money bags were what a contestant turned to when he/she wasn't going anywhere with the regular color-money cards.

Agreed with most everyone else, aside from the bonus-game-just-to-have-one, this was a fun show. Kennedy and Barry both hosted it well.

I may have to dig around in my tapes...I think I might have 3-4-5 episodes laying around...
« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 04:27:45 PM by tvmitch »
You should follow me on Twitter

BrandonFG

BtB '76
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2009, 04:43:02 PM »
[quote name=\'Twentington\' post=\'229655\' date=\'Nov 1 2009, 11:46 PM\']I saw nine lower-than-HSq-level celebs[/quote]
What show were you watching? The show had about the same level of celebs as The $20,000 Pyramid, which was right on par with HSq

And I enjoyed BTB as well...it did require some strategy in winning and presented a bit of risk. Deserved a longer run.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Twentington

• I just got to win / Spin the Wheel again
BtB '76
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2009, 04:59:04 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'229694\' date=\'Nov 2 2009, 04:43 PM\'][quote name=\'Twentington\' post=\'229655\' date=\'Nov 1 2009, 11:46 PM\']I saw nine lower-than-HSq-level celebs[/quote]
What show were you watching? The show had about the same level of celebs as The $20,000 Pyramid, which was right on par with HSq

And I enjoyed BTB as well...it did require some strategy in winning and presented a bit of risk. Deserved a longer run.
[/quote]

I meant slightly lower. Usually I recognize the stars on even 30some-year-old HSq eps, but I didn't recognize most of the guys on this show.
Bobby Peacock

Ian Wallis

BtB '76
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2009, 05:15:59 PM »
I'm with ya. I always thought it was a very unique and entertaining show. Wish more eps would pop up on YT. Do they still exist?

The whole run exists, save for a couple of episodes.  GSN ran about a third of the run when it was on the schedule in '97-98.  Wish they'd bring it back...
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

Ian Wallis

BtB '76
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2009, 05:18:48 PM »
A common myth is that the show was a ratings winner when it was canceled by ABC in July 1976, to make way for soap operas on their daytime schedule. In actuality, that season comprised of approximently 3 weeks. Someone here even said something about the ratings tanking by the end of the game.

The part about 3 weeks is true, but the rest isn't.  Somebody (I believe it might have been Jimmy) posted some numbers from Variety for the summer of 1976, and Break the Bank still held its strong ratings all the way through.  It was cancelled despite the high ratings because Fred Silverman was more interested in longer soap operas.  I believe it could have worked in syndication had Jack Barry not been more interested in reviving Joker's Wild the following fall.

I agree with what most have said...great show!
NEW LOCATION!!!

TimK2003

BtB '76
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2009, 05:34:13 PM »
BtB was one of my favorite shows from the B&E stable of games.  

The questions were "harder" than many of the Q's that were used in TJW, TTD & Bullseye a few years later, but there was always a choice between Dis or Dat.  

The theme was awesome, in fact it was the first theme I recorded onto cassette -- still have it, too!

I liked the gameplay -- especially when the players knew the whereabouts of at least 2 or 3 moneybags on the board, then you had to figure was it worth it to take a moneybag, lose control of the board, and risk your opponent blocking any 3-box win that you may be close to getting.

Tom Kennedy was the better host between the two.  I would love to see an episode near the end of the run to see how the game's pace & rules played out -- all most have us seen of the daytime run was the first 3 weeks, so there is a good possibility that the show was looking even better by the time Fred stopped by to say, "You're Canceled".

Neumms

BtB '76
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2009, 12:22:16 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'229694\' date=\'Nov 2 2009, 04:43 PM\'][quote name=\'Twentington\' post=\'229655\' date=\'Nov 1 2009, 11:46 PM\']I saw nine lower-than-HSq-level celebs[/quote]
[/quote]

For heavens' sake, no. Pyramid's were FAR worse. And while Jan Murray did both, he'd be the least funny of the four corner squares but the Paul Lynde of BtB. That's not par. (Not that I didn't like "Break the Bank," too.)

BobbyLankford_83

BtB '76
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2009, 12:22:48 AM »
I liked BTB, it was a great show,but that weenie at ABC, Fred Silverman took it off to put on two piece of crap soaps. Silverman's decision to dump BTB was a rehash of him taking off Password when he was at CBS. But I knew it would come back as a weekly nighttime show in Fall 1976.

I loved it when I seen TV favorites I haven't seen in a while on both versions, like Bob Crane, Barbara Eden, Mickey Dolenz, Craig Stevens, Bill Dana, and Alice Ghostley. I liked it when Apollo 11 astronaut Buzz Aldrin guested on the Tom Kennedy version, and ABC had a movie about him at the time.

I wish someone would do a downloadable BTB with Tom Kennedy and Johnny Jacobs (or Ernie Anderson,the voice of ABC)'s voices, a Star Changer and a new bonus round like trying to win the money before getting 3 strikes or something.

Don Howard

BtB '76
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2009, 12:58:19 PM »
[quote name=\'BobbyLankford_83\' post=\'229821\' date=\'Nov 4 2009, 12:22 AM\']I liked BTB, it was a great show,but that weenie at ABC, Fred Silverman took it off to put on two piece of crap soaps.[/quote]
He is a weenie, isn't he? Not in the Lidsville sense of the word, but certainly he is one. Or he was. He may have reformed.
He attended The 2006 Game Show Congrefs, which was also attended by ABC Break The Bank host Tom Kennedy, Now You See It's Jack Narz (NYSI was also dinged by Herr Weenie), Peter Marshall [master of The Hollywood Squares, yanked in 1980 by Fred S. Weenie] and Henry Polic II, supporting cast member on the 1975 sitcom When Things Were Rotten, whose plug was pulled by The Weenster along with That's My Mama to make room for The Bionic Woman.
Was it you, Matt O., who told us afterwards that while Weenverman was been introduced that you were thinking, "Nobody boo. Nobody boo"?
« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 12:58:54 PM by Don Howard »

entguy1

BtB '76
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2009, 01:19:04 PM »
I just watched a bit of BTB on YouTube the other day. Looking back now, it seems that and "Rhyme and Reason" were both trying to catch on to the funny celeb Mojo of HS and MG'7x. When it was canceled, it seemed like the beginning of the end for afternoon games.

And yes, the theme song is glorious. That was the clincher for buying the TV game themes CD.

Matt Ottinger

BtB '76
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2009, 02:01:47 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' post=\'229845\' date=\'Nov 4 2009, 12:58 PM\']Was it you, Matt O., who told us afterwards that while Weenverman was been introduced that you were thinking, "Nobody boo. Nobody boo"?[/quote]
Indeed.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

JacksonBrowne1980

• I Played With The Toys At My Schools I Went To
BtB '76
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2009, 02:42:52 PM »
i am a fan of all game shws of all eras, i love BTB76!
Erik "Taz" Mokracek

"Well, I Guess You Have To Be 35 Before Anyone Around Here Listens To You" - Alex Pruitt From "Home Alone 3"

Darion Blackwood Daniel

BtB '76
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2009, 05:40:24 PM »
I love it too and with the ratings good, they should have just sticked with it.
Love and Heart--The Blackwood Company

Ian Wallis

BtB '76
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2009, 05:50:26 PM »
And yes, the theme song is glorious. That was the clincher for buying the TV game themes CD.

Agreed on the theme.  Unfortunately the version included on the CD wasn't in the best of quality.
NEW LOCATION!!!

BobbyLankford_83

BtB '76
« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2009, 07:40:50 PM »
The last time I saw Silverman, was on a TV program, can't remember what it was, but Fred has lost a hell of a lot of weight due to diabetes, forcing him to give up martinis. And I guess he gave up the Salem cigarettes he xhain smoked going back to his days at CBS .

Did you know that Silverman worked at WGN-TV Chicago from 1960-63? (He also breifly worked at WGN's sister station,WPIX-11 in NYC before going to CBS). At Chicago's Very Own Channel 9, he gave WGN viewers The Bozo Show, Family Classics with Frazier Thomas, Garfield Goose (not to be confused with Garfield The Cat in the funnies) and The Ray Rayner Show. These shows would later get national exposure when WGN went up on satellite on Halloween 1978 joining WTCG-17 Atlanta (later WTBS and now plain old TBS) as a superstation.