Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Johnny Olson: A Voice In Time  (Read 9700 times)

geno57

Johnny Olson: A Voice In Time
« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2009, 03:41:48 AM »
I just finished reading the book, and it's a keeper!  I don't think I can add anything to the accolades.  It's a fitting tribute to one of my broadcasting heroes.  It's also a fine history of the industry I work in ... and used to love.

Five stars.  Highly recommended.

tvrandywest

« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2009, 04:42:22 PM »
[quote name=\'geno57\' post=\'229008\' date=\'Oct 22 2009, 12:41 AM\']I just finished reading the book, and it's a keeper!  I don't think I can add anything to the accolades.  It's a fitting tribute to one of my broadcasting heroes.  It's also a fine history of the industry I work in ... and used to love.

Five stars.  Highly recommended.[/quote]
Thanks Geno!! High praise from a seasoned pro like yourself. Which reminds me, do you prefer Lawry's or Shilling-McCormick  ;-)

Secret: a friend of Bob Eubanks just ordered a copy inscribed to Bob as a Christmas gift. Hope he doesn't lurk here or the surprise is blown!

Randy
tvrandywest.com
« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 04:42:46 PM by tvrandywest »
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2009, 05:02:28 PM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' post=\'229300\' date=\'Oct 27 2009, 04:42 PM\']Secret: a friend of Bob Eubanks just ordered a copy inscribed to Bob as a Christmas gift. Hope he doesn't lurk here or the surprise is blown![/quote]
If so, we can scare him away by emulating the Big Wheel beeps.

tvrandywest

« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2009, 05:09:02 PM »
If you're curious about the details of Johnny O's life and career, Chris Mann (who loves to talk about all things TPiR!) asked some thought-provoking questions in this extensive interview. It makes you wish somebody had written a book about this Johnny guy  ;-)

Thanks, Chris!

Randy
tvrandywest.com
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Chris Mann

« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2009, 05:12:46 PM »
You are most welcome, Randy! And thank you for such a great interview, and for giving Johnny Olson his due. I hope your book sells particularly well this holiday season—it should be on every game show fan's Christmas/Hanukkah/Kwanzaa/Ramadan/Rohatsu/Yule/Three Kings Day/Agnostic-Atheistic Gift Exchange Holiday list!

Thanks again,
Chris Mann

TimK2003

« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2009, 12:30:58 PM »
[quote name=\'Chris Mann\' post=\'230327\' date=\'Nov 10 2009, 03:12 PM\']You are most welcome, Randy! And thank you for such a great interview, and for giving Johnny Olson his due. I hope your book sells particularly well this holiday season—it should be on every game show fan's Christmas/Hanukkah/Kwanzaa/Ramadan/Rohatsu/Yule/Three Kings Day/Agnostic-Atheistic Gift Exchange Holiday list![/quote]

It also makes a great Festivus gift...

KWJCDon

« Reply #36 on: November 17, 2009, 09:15:34 PM »
I got mine yesterday and have almost finished it. It was well worth losing sleep last night reading it. Excellent job Randy!

ChuckNet

« Reply #37 on: November 17, 2009, 11:36:39 PM »
Def a great read...not only features an in-depth look @ Johnny's rise in broadcasting, but also highlights the growth of the mediums he worked for. The reprints of his marked TPiR script pages and rare on-set photos are def nice touches, as well!

And yes, gave it 5 stars on Amazon. :-)

Chuck Donegan (The Pleased "Chuckie Baby")

tvrandywest

« Reply #38 on: November 20, 2009, 06:10:08 PM »
[quote name=\'KWJCDon\' post=\'230772\' date=\'Nov 17 2009, 06:15 PM\']I got mine yesterday and have almost finished it. It was well worth losing sleep last night reading it. Excellent job Randy![/quote]
[quote name=\'ChuckNet\' post=\'230792\' date=\'Nov 17 2009, 08:36 PM\']Def a great read...not only features an in-depth look @ Johnny's rise in broadcasting, but also highlights the growth of the mediums he worked for. The reprints of his marked TPiR script pages and rare on-set photos are def nice touches, as well! And yes, gave it 5 stars on Amazon. :-)[/quote]
Don, Chuck and others who have chimed in,

Thanks for all the extremely kind words. It's been a decade since I received Johnny's personal papers and memoribilia. My greatest wish was to be able to put together a book that would do justice to our beloved broadcaster. After so many interviews with his past neighbors, friends, family and co-workers, help from archivists at state historical societies and libraries, scanning so many kinescopes and videotapes, and putting pen to paper to preserve the stories he told me, I was hoping to be able to please the tough audience that knowledgeable fans and afficionados can be - to tell the story in a way that is informative, factual, and just plain FUN!  

You have no idea how pleased I am that Johnny's amazing story has been so well received.... by our community here, as well as the hosts, producers and writers who have purchased copies to relive those golden days of game shows. And if you're wondering what the %#*@ we're talking about, you can see more about the book HERE.

THANKS!!

Randy
tvrandywest.com

GrandGame1440

« Reply #39 on: November 21, 2009, 02:32:21 AM »
Just placed my order now, Randy.  I look forward to reading very much!

tvrandywest

« Reply #40 on: December 02, 2009, 02:09:13 PM »
[quote name=\'GrandGame1440\' post=\'231008\' date=\'Nov 20 2009, 11:32 PM\']Just placed my order now, Randy.  I look forward to reading very much![/quote]
Thanks!

And I just wanted to share that sales of "Johnny Olson" have far exceeded the publisher's expectation. There are a lot of us game show history fans in the world, enough to make the book Amazon's #54 best-seller on television history! I'm thrilled that the memory of Johnny O's contribution will live on! A humble thank you to all who have helped to keep the candle burning!

Randy
tvrandywest.com