Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Johnny Olson: A Voice In Time  (Read 9703 times)

tvrandywest

Johnny Olson: A Voice In Time
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2009, 03:32:26 PM »
[quote name=\'pentellit\' post=\'228280\' date=\'Oct 11 2009, 06:20 AM\']I was thinking more in terms of generating interest for the book.  If we buy it on Amazon we can post comments about it, and if we buy it at retail stores, the sales are computed for book sales lists, like the NY Times, etc.  

Any thoughts?  Randy?[/quote]
I've been told that a book of such niche appeal will never make an impact in the brick-and-mortar store sales numbers against mainstream mass-appeal releases. If an order from amazon is required to post a review, that would be helpful. Ordering via my website lets me know who's interested and allows you to get personally inscribed copies for truly unique Christmas gifts that will impress friends   ;-)

Whatever your preference, I'm primarily interested in commemorating Johnny's life, telling his truly fascinating story, giving him some well-earned recognition, and returning the favor for the time and interest he gave me.

Not relevant for or included in the book, but so meaningful to me: Soon after Johnny and I first met at NBC/NY and he first realized this kid was truly fascinated by his work , he took a moment and stepped away. He took a dollar bill from his wallet, wrote "Good Luck" to me, signed the dollar bill and gave it to me with a big smile on his face. I think that's the moment when we first made a connection.

Thirty five years later I learned that the act was inspired by something Johnny's mother did for him when he was a kid. The story was among the notes he had written in preparation for the autobiography he never finished, and it blew me away. That story of his childhood is in the book.

Randy
tvrandywest.com
« Last Edit: October 11, 2009, 09:06:58 PM by chris319 »
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2009, 09:13:35 PM »
allows you to get personally inscribed copies for truly unique Christmas gifts that will impress friends ;-)
I already have one such recipient in mind. It would actually be a gift for Chanukah/Chanukka/Haunkka/whatever-the-preferred-spelling-is, but I probably won't wait until the holidays. I will sort this all out at the Congress/Congreff/whatever-the-preferred-spelling-is.

So what is the preferred spelling for the holidays?
« Last Edit: October 11, 2009, 09:14:21 PM by chris319 »

TheLastResort

« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2009, 09:21:38 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'228319\' date=\'Oct 11 2009, 09:13 PM\']So what is the preferred spelling for the holidays?[/quote]

Tori Spelling.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2009, 10:28:33 PM »
[quote name=\'TheLastResort\' post=\'228320\' date=\'Oct 11 2009, 09:21 PM\'][quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'228319\' date=\'Oct 11 2009, 09:13 PM\']So what is the preferred spelling for the holidays?[/quote]Tori Spelling.[/quote]
Not if you expect to see any Candy.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Tim L

« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2009, 11:43:31 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'228178\' date=\'Oct 10 2009, 01:01 PM\']My prayers have been answered! Visit Randy's publishers site:

http://bearmanormedia.bizland.com/index.html

where they have a biography of -- get ready for this now -- Jane Kean, the also-ran actress who played Trixie when Gleason moved his show to Florida! Who knows, she may have an interesting story to tell.

Also available from that publisher are biographies of several of the world's most renowned voice actors: Daws Butler, June Foray, Paul Frees, even Walter Tetley! There is a biography of Joan Davis (whom Jim Backus married according to the sitcom title) and a book containing the TV scripts of writer Philip Rapp -- however, there is no script for Rapp's most noted work, Topper.

I'm feeling all tingly now. Go have a look-see.[/quote]

First, I want to say that BearManor Media is an excellent publishing house...They do a lot of Old Time Radio Books as well as the above mentioned..Incidentally, Phil Rapp also created the Bickersons on Radio and TV, with Don Ameche and Frances Langford.

I want to take the opportunity, speaking of Jim Backus and Jane Kean, to mention another brand new self-published book just out by Animation Producer Darrell Van Citters..

"Mr.Magoo's Christmas Carol:The Making of the First Animated Christmas Special"

Van Citters Interviewed all the survivng cast and crew of Magoo's Carol and had access to a lot of rare photos and Animation Art in telling the story behind the special, including background on the UPA Cartoon studios before and after "Carol"..Very complete history in a coffee-table style book..Very well written..If You liked Magoo's Christmas Carol, You'll enjoy this..

Link:
http://www.mrmagooschristmascarol.com/
« Last Edit: October 11, 2009, 11:48:31 PM by Tim L »

whewfan

« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2009, 05:27:26 AM »
Randy,

Is your book available in audio form? That would be cool, to include samplings of Johnny's announcing work with the book.

tvrandywest

« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2009, 08:31:50 AM »
[quote name=\'whewfan\' post=\'228334\' date=\'Oct 12 2009, 02:27 AM\']Randy,
Is your book available in audio form? That would be cool, to include samplings of Johnny's announcing work with the book.[/quote]
Food for thought there, whewfan. I'll look into the rights/clearance issues related to using audio clips.

BONUS: I have a free gift (better than Lee Press-On Nails!) for someone who will work with me in giving feedback to Paypal on the processing of their credit card purchase. Please e-mail me if you bought the book specifically
1) via PAYPAL, and
2) USING A CREDIT CARD, and
3) at TVRANDYWEST.COM (as opposed to amazon.com or the publisher's site)

Thanks!

Randy
tvrandywest.com
« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 08:32:53 AM by tvrandywest »
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

pentellit

« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2009, 09:22:33 PM »
^Now this helps alot.  Obviously by my posts I want to buy my copy in 'The Most Beneficial Way For Randy', and for Johnny Olson, once removed of course... ;)

So which way do you want Randy?  PayPal, Amazon, directly from you?  What?  Give me some guidance here!  Door number 1, 2 or 3?

/I'm still liking Amazon because then we can write comments.

// Or on the other hand, "Just shut up and buy the dam book Edie!"

///Gosh, I love this forum!!!!
« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 09:27:14 PM by pentellit »

DYosua

« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2009, 09:56:25 PM »
[quote name=\'pentellit\' post=\'228402\' date=\'Oct 12 2009, 09:22 PM\']/I'm still liking Amazon because then we can write comments.[/quote]You don't need to buy the book from Amazon to post a review - just an Amazon account.  This link should get you there.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 09:57:10 PM by DYosua »

TheLastResort

« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2009, 10:27:42 PM »
[quote name=\'pentellit\' post=\'228402\' date=\'Oct 12 2009, 09:22 PM\']So which way do you want Randy?  PayPal, Amazon, directly from you?  What?  Give me some guidance here!  Door number 1, 2 or 3?[/quote]

Jesus Christ, dude, just buy the damn book before Randy croaks and somebody's writing a book about him.

tvrandywest

« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2009, 10:51:24 PM »
[quote name=\'TheLastResort\' post=\'228412\' date=\'Oct 12 2009, 07:27 PM\'][quote name=\'pentellit\' post=\'228402\' date=\'Oct 12 2009, 09:22 PM\']So which way do you want Randy?  PayPal, Amazon, directly from you?  What?  Give me some guidance here!  Door number 1, 2 or 3?[/quote]
Jesus Christ, dude, just buy the damn book before Randy croaks and somebody's writing a book about him.
[/quote]
LMFAO!

Buy it from me. But use the Paypal option, because frankly Edie, you strike me as someone who might get a papercut on her tongue from licking an envelope   ;-)

Randy
tvrandywest.com
« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 11:58:52 PM by tvrandywest »

pentellit

« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2009, 11:47:33 PM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' post=\'228415\' date=\'Oct 12 2009, 07:51 PM\']frankly Edie, you strike me as somewhat who might get a papercut on her tongue from licking an envelope   ;-)[/quote]
Ouch!

Eric Paddon

« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2009, 03:46:32 PM »
Got my copy from Amazon today!

davemackey

« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2009, 12:21:46 PM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' post=\'228415\' date=\'Oct 12 2009, 10:51 PM\'][quote name=\'TheLastResort\' post=\'228412\' date=\'Oct 12 2009, 07:27 PM\'][quote name=\'pentellit\' post=\'228402\' date=\'Oct 12 2009, 09:22 PM\']So which way do you want Randy?  PayPal, Amazon, directly from you?  What?  Give me some guidance here!  Door number 1, 2 or 3?[/quote]
[/quote]
LMFAO!

Buy it from me. But use the Paypal option, because frankly Edie, you strike me as someone who might get a papercut on her tongue from licking an envelope   ;-)

Randy
tvrandywest.com
[/quote]
Randy - sorry I jumped the gun and got it on Amazon. I may just send you my copy so you can scribble in it. Great book, thanks for writing it and sharing Johnny's story with the world.

tvrandywest

« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2009, 02:40:03 PM »
Just a quick post of appreciation to those who have been reading and e-mailing their kind comments! That includes a thanks for the great review on Amazon.com.  To namedrop just a couple from among the latest to offer support have been Wink Martindale and superagent Fred Wostbrock.

Favorite parts seem to be the extensive look at Johnny's childhood, the early radio and TV history, the details of how "Price" came to air, and the excepts from Johnny's warm-up acts and his marked showcase script. I'm so happy that Johnny gets a final moment in the spotlight to commemorate his 50-plus-year legacy of kindness, professionalism and amazing work.  

Hope to see you and sign for you at Game Show Congress   ;-)

Thanks,

Randy
tvrandywest.com
« Last Edit: October 20, 2009, 02:40:28 PM by tvrandywest »