Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Johnny Olson: A Voice In Time  (Read 9702 times)

Matt Ottinger

Johnny Olson: A Voice In Time
« on: October 09, 2009, 11:49:27 PM »
Our long national nightmare is over.

Johnny Olson: A Voice In Time, the much-discussed book about the greatest game show announcer (and quite a few other remarkable credits) that's ever been, is just a couple of clicks from showing up in your mailbox.

You want links?  You got links.

Here's the publisher's page, where you can order the book.

Here's the Amazon page, where you can also order the book.

Best of all, here's the author's home page (a fellow I think we've heard of), where you can see more details, and even order a custom autographed copy.

For those of you who don't have computers, you can always come to the Game Show Congress in November, where I imagine Mr. West might have a copy or two on hand.

Congratulations to Randy for delivering his baby successfully through this years-long process, and at the same time, great thanks to Randy for doing it in the first place, and giving us this wonderful, permanent record of one of the seminal figures of our genre.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

bscripps

• Button-Pushing Monkey
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2009, 01:00:20 AM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'228156\' date=\'Oct 9 2009, 11:49 PM\']Our long national nightmare is over.

Johnny Olson: A Voice In Time, the much-discussed book about the greatest game show announcer (and quite a few other remarkable credits) that's ever been, is just a couple of clicks from showing up in your mailbox.[/quote]
Perfect timing...I'm just wrapping up another book and have been looking for my next read.  Can't wait!

\And hear hear on the congrats to Randy
« Last Edit: October 10, 2009, 01:01:26 AM by bscripps »
Ben Scripps. Professional button-pushing monkey.

Eric Paddon

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2009, 01:17:15 AM »
Just placed my order!

Clay Zambo

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2009, 11:20:30 AM »
Sweet!  Congratulations, Randy!
czambo@mac.com

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2009, 12:29:40 PM »
For those of you who don't have computers
... how the hell are you reading these words?

Seriously, Randy managed to obtain Johnny's personal correspondence in which John documents from his point of view the evolution of network broadcasting. As the book has been described to me, it is not merely a recital of "Johnny appeared on this show" and "Johnny announced that show", but is instead a much more substantial document of the history of broadcasting on NBC, CBS, ABC, Mutual and DuMont. My copy is already on order.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2009, 12:38:32 PM by chris319 »

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2009, 12:57:09 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'228176\' date=\'Oct 10 2009, 12:29 PM\']

[/quote]

Web TV?
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2009, 01:01:13 PM »
My prayers have been answered! Visit Randy's publishers site:

http://bearmanormedia.bizland.com/index.html

where they have a biography of -- get ready for this now -- Jane Kean, the also-ran actress who played Trixie when Gleason moved his show to Florida! Who knows, she may have an interesting story to tell.

Also available from that publisher are biographies of several of the world's most renowned voice actors: Daws Butler, June Foray, Paul Frees, even Walter Tetley! There is a biography of Joan Davis (whom Jim Backus married according to the sitcom title) and a book containing the TV scripts of writer Philip Rapp -- however, there is no script for Rapp's most noted work, Topper.

I'm feeling all tingly now. Go have a look-see.

[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'228177\' date=\'Oct 10 2009, 09:57 AM\'][quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'228176\' date=\'Oct 10 2009, 12:29 PM\']

[/quote]

Web TV?
[/quote]
Gawd help you. Even my 82-year-old aunt has a real computer now.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2009, 01:04:41 PM by chris319 »

geno57

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2009, 01:29:33 PM »
Mine's on order!  Looking forward to reading it.  Congratulations, Randy!

And ... I do share a radio station with Johnny O on my resume ... although I worked at WIBA in Madison WI, many many years after he did.  Still, the aura of greatness was there!

tpirfan28

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2009, 09:33:10 PM »
Wonderful!  Another book to add to the queue (still haven't finished a couple of other GS-related books, Barker's book hasn't even been opened yet).
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

pentellit

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2009, 10:06:21 PM »
OMG!  I AM SO EXCITED Randy!

But here's my question;  Which site that I might order my copy from will most benefit Randy?

Quick! Quick!  I want to order ASAP!

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2009, 10:29:12 PM »
[quote name=\'pentellit\' post=\'228233\' date=\'Oct 10 2009, 10:06 PM\']But here's my question;  Which site that I might order my copy from will most benefit Randy?[/quote]
The answer to that is almost certainly directly from his own web page, especially if you want to pony up a few extra dollars for an autographed copy!
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

tvrandywest

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2009, 02:25:24 AM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'228236\' date=\'Oct 10 2009, 07:29 PM\'][quote name=\'pentellit\' post=\'228233\' date=\'Oct 10 2009, 10:06 PM\']But here's my question;  Which site that I might order my copy from will most benefit Randy?[/quote]
The answer to that is almost certainly directly from his own web page, especially if you want to pony up a few extra dollars for an autographed copy!
[/quote]
A million thanks to Matt for starting and guiding this thread while I've been "making whoopie" with Carnie Wilson ("Newlywed Game" debuts Monday night). I'd say I was humbled, but as Obama already used that word, I'll stick with appreciative.

Yes, purchasing directly from me nets a few extra pennies in my pocket after paying someone to do the grunt work of fulfilling orders under my watchful supervision. Purchasing with a personalized inscription and autograph adds a few bucks, thank you. The idea behind that option ("To Joey on his Bar Mitzvah, here's hoping your appreciation of Johnny O's work imbues you with the passion to excel in the TV repair business") was simply about what I would love to have access to for a book about something I loved.

But anyone who knows me (or the realities of the publishing world) knows this was never about money. The story of this incredible man needed to be told before he was forgotten, and as I am in possession of his writings, clippings, photos and personal effects, and spent hours with him discussing his work, I was in a most unique position to do that.

Coolest would be Pentellit and everyone else interested to join the fun at Game Show Congress, November 14th and 15th in North Hollywood! I'll have a limited number of books at list price that Sunday afternoon, will be signing for free, and would love to share stories about Johnny.

Anyway, thanks to our moderators Matt and Chris for spreading the word. And thanks to all who have been so kind as to encourage and support this labor of love.

Portions of the program not affecting the outcome of the game have been edited for broadcast.   ;-)

Randy
tvrandywest.com
« Last Edit: October 11, 2009, 06:04:48 AM by tvrandywest »
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

fishbulb

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2009, 03:46:10 AM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'228177\' date=\'Oct 10 2009, 09:57 AM\'][quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'228176\' date=\'Oct 10 2009, 12:29 PM\']

[/quote]

Web TV?
[/quote]

Didn't that go the way of crystal sets?

pentellit

« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2009, 09:20:45 AM »
I was thinking more in terms of generating interest for the book.  If we buy it on Amazon we can post comments about it, and if we buy it at retail stores, the sales are computed for book sales lists, like the NY Times, etc.  

Any thoughts?  Randy?
« Last Edit: October 11, 2009, 09:22:09 AM by pentellit »

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2009, 10:37:03 AM »
Yes, purchasing directly from me nets a few extra pennies in my pocket after paying someone to do the grunt work of fulfilling orders under my watchful supervision. Purchasing with a personalized inscription and autograph adds a few bucks, thank you. The idea behind that option ("To Joey on his Bar Mitzvah, here's hoping your appreciation of Johnny O's work imbues you with the passion to excel in the TV repair business") was simply about what I would love to have access to for a book about something I loved.
Would that I had known that before I ordered my copy from Amazon :-(

I'll try to make it to the Congress for signing.