Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Rod Roddy joke on SNL  (Read 3694 times)

inturnaround

Rod Roddy joke on SNL
« on: November 02, 2003, 12:29:10 AM »
As I guessed, SNL did do a Rod Roddy joke. I'll have to paraphrase because I wasn't taping it at the time.

Jimmy Fallon: Rod Roddy, the announcer on the game show "The Price is Right" known best for his line "Come on down!" died this week. You know, I'd like to think that he's still saying "Come on down" at the right hand of Satan.

Roddy died at the age of (audience screams suggestions) um...um...I'm gonna have to go with my girlfriend and say 66! (bell rings) I won! I won! (Fallon jumps up and down as the number 66 flashes on the screen)

Tina Fey: Hey, that was somebody who died!

Maybe someone on the west coast will tape it and get a better transcript, but that's  the gist.
Joe Coughlin     
Human

Skynet74

Rod Roddy joke on SNL
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2003, 01:12:53 AM »
I think the Satan thing was weak. Didn't even make much sense to me.... and it got a few groans from the audience. Obviously the joke went over my head. The studio got pretty quiet, so I don't think I was the only one who didn't get it. The show went for a cheap laugh that simply did not even make sense. If I got the joke then perhaps I could of at least defended it. After Fallon said it....... I was trying to figure out what the hell he was even talking about! The rest of the joke was a blatant rip off of the Canadian skit that was talked about here. The Stern stuff was funny to me. But the SNL skit lacked originality and actually seemed kind of insulting when you start talking about Rod and Satan. But like I said...... I just did not get the joke to begin with.

John
« Last Edit: November 02, 2003, 01:21:25 AM by Skynet74 »

BrandonFG

Rod Roddy joke on SNL
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2003, 01:16:29 AM »
[quote name=\'Skynet74\' date=\'Nov 2 2003, 01:12 AM\'] I think the Satan thing was weak. Didn't even make much sense to me.... but it got a few groans from the audience. Obviously the joke went over my head. The studio got pretty quiet, so I don't think I was the only one who didn't get it. The show went for a cheap laugh that simply did not even make sense. If I got the joke then perhaps I could of at least defended it. After Fallon said it....... I was trying to figure out what the hell he was even talking about! The rest of the joke was a blatant rip off of the Canadian skit that was talked about here. The Stern stuff was funny to me. But the SNL skit lacked originality and actually seemed kind of insulting when you start talking about Rod and Satan. But like I said...... I just did not not get the joke to begin with.

John [/quote]
 I didn't catch SNL tonight (other than Outkast's performance), but reading the part about the audience shouting numbers made me laugh out loud. Other than that, Weekend Update hasn't been funny since before Norm McDonald. If it's one thing I can't stand about the current version, it's how Tina and Jimmy mug for the camera after the joke bombs, like it'll make it any funnier.

ObGameShow: Tonight's SNL host, Kelly Ripa, co-hosts a daytime talk show with this guy who used to host "Millionaire." :-P
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

inturnaround

Rod Roddy joke on SNL
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2003, 01:22:55 AM »
[quote name=\'Skynet74\' date=\'Nov 2 2003, 01:12 AM\'] I think the Satan thing was weak. Didn't even make much sense to me.... and it got a few groans from the audience. Obviously the joke went over my head. The studio got pretty quiet, so I don't think I was the only one who didn't get it. The show went for a cheap laugh that simply did not even make sense. If I got the joke then perhaps I could of at least defended it. After Fallon said it....... I was trying to figure out what the hell he was even talking about! The rest of the joke was a blatant rip off of the Canadian skit that was talked about here. The Stern stuff was funny to me. But the SNL skit lacked originality and actually seemed kind of insulting when you start talking about Rod and Satan. But like I said...... I just did not get the joke to begin with.

John [/quote]
 Yeah, I forgot to mention the audience groaning at the Satan joke.

The joke was only a ripoff if they saw the Canadian show and I doubt they did. It's kind of an easy joke to make if you've ever seen TPiR and, of course, many comedy writers have.
Joe Coughlin     
Human

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Rod Roddy joke on SNL
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2003, 07:27:01 AM »
[quote name=\'Skynet74\' date=\'Nov 1 2003, 10:12 PM\']I think the Satan thing was weak. Didn't even make much sense to me.... and it got a few groans from the audience. Obviously the joke went over my head. The studio got pretty quiet, so I don't think I was the only one who didn't get it. The show went for a cheap laugh that simply did not even make sense. If I got the joke then perhaps I could of at least defended it. After Fallon said it....... I was trying to figure out what the hell he was even talking about! The rest of the joke was a blatant rip off of the Canadian skit that was talked about here. The Stern stuff was funny to me. But the SNL skit lacked originality and actually seemed kind of insulting when you start talking about Rod and Satan. But like I said...... I just did not get the joke to begin with.[/quote]
Did the joke last longer than 18 seconds?

GS Warehouse

Rod Roddy joke on SNL
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2003, 10:19:01 AM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Nov 2 2003, 01:16 AM\'] ObGameShow: Tonight's SNL host, Kelly Ripa, co-hosts a daytime talk show with this guy who used to host "Millionaire." :-P [/quote]
 All those who guessed "November 7" in the when-will-Regis-drop-in-on-Kelly's-primetime-gig pool may collect at the two cyberdollar window.  The ex-Millionaire host will guest on Hope & Faith this Friday.

Matt Ottinger

Rod Roddy joke on SNL
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2003, 11:06:15 AM »
I think the Satan thing was weak. Didn't even make much sense to me.... and it got a few groans from the audience.
It was tasteless, but no more or less so than several other skits that evening.  In fact, I counted four completely different moments when the audience reacted negatively to a joke or skit -- not just silence, but actively booing or groaning at something that was either offensive or painfully unfunny.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Skynet74

Rod Roddy joke on SNL
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2003, 11:16:21 AM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Nov 2 2003, 07:27 AM\']
Did the joke last longer than 18 seconds? [/quote]

Yeah..... unfortunately it did.

John

DjohnsonCB

Rod Roddy joke on SNL
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2003, 11:37:55 AM »
The Kelly Ripa edition was one of the few times I actually bothered to watch SNL in recent years.  I figured I'd sleep through some of it, and I did.  But I saw the "Live" takeoff and the WU shot at Rod, and the Satan thing made no sense whatsoever, though there's probably a lot of twennysomthinns who get the "joke" (maybe it had something to do with his sequined jackets).

My philosophy on SNL in recent years is that--like "Barney and Friends"--it's designed to appeal to a specific age group, and at some point in everyone's life, they just outgrow it and never want to go back, with a vengeance, while a new group of fans comes aboard to appreciate it for what it is.  But maybe the time HAS come for NBC to give it up after all this time.  Hey, even "Gunsmoke" and Ed Sullivan had to hang it up at some point.
"Disconnect her buzzer...disconnect EVERYONE'S buzzer!"

--Alex Trebel

Mike Tennant

Rod Roddy joke on SNL
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2003, 10:58:25 AM »
I didn't even see this, but I don't think the Satan joke is that hard to understand.  Think about it.

Hell, in the minds of most people, is "down," toward the center of the earth.  If Rod were there, then he could say, "Come on down!" to people who are destined for that locale after death.  If he's in heaven, well, he's going to have to say, "Come on up!" and that doesn't make for as good a joke (if you consider this a good joke, which I don't) since it requires changing Rod's signature line.

Got it?

uncamark

Rod Roddy joke on SNL
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2003, 06:51:03 PM »
[quote name=\'inturnaround\' date=\'Nov 2 2003, 01:22 AM\']The joke was only a ripoff if they saw the Canadian show and I doubt they did. It's kind of an easy joke to make if you've ever seen TPiR and, of course, many comedy writers have.[/quote]
They didn't.  Considering that the first pass at writing Update is done on Thursday--and that there's no time on Friday night and Saturday in getting the show nailed down for any viewing of Canadian comedy shows from satellite feeds at 30 Rock, I'm pretty sure that both "This Hour..." and "SNL"'s jokes were purely coincidental.