Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: TPiR: Make Your Mark retired  (Read 30518 times)

pacdude

TPiR: Make Your Mark retired
« Reply #45 on: September 14, 2009, 04:59:22 PM »
[quote name=\'CarShark\' post=\'225879\' date=\'Sep 14 2009, 04:47 PM\'][quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\' post=\'225875\' date=\'Sep 14 2009, 04:33 PM\']When we know something that we can't reveal the details of, would you really prefer for us to stay completely quiet about it instead of making not-terribly-cryptic allusions to it?[/quote]Yes.
[/quote]

Seconded.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #46 on: September 14, 2009, 05:04:43 PM »
[quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\' post=\'225880\' date=\'Sep 14 2009, 04:50 PM\']Why?  Are you really that bad at reading between the lines?  Or is it just because it's people from Golden-Road?[/quote]
Well, speaking for myself, I can tell you that it has nothing to do with whether people are from Golden Road or not, and I think my decade-plus reputation around the interwebs ought to account for something when I say that.  And when I see:
[quote name=\'ClockGameJohn\' post=\'194636\' date=\'Aug 20 2008, 05:04 PM\']Perhaps if everyone understood why the Make Your Mark change was implemented, it would stand to reason why some [of us] get frustrated.[/quote]
I'm sorry, but I'm not seeing any 'not-too-cryptic allusions'.  I see an argument trying to be won by "I know, but I'm not telling."  Now maybe because you're closer to it, you think it's a lot more obvious to the rest of us that when one of you says something like that then it MUST have something to do with Drew.  But I can honestly say that now, a year later, when one of you finally spells out what the reason was, that reason never occurred to me.  The statement finally makes sense.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #47 on: September 14, 2009, 05:12:27 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'225883\' date=\'Sep 14 2009, 05:04 PM\'][quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\' post=\'225880\' date=\'Sep 14 2009, 04:50 PM\']Why?  Are you really that bad at reading between the lines?  Or is it just because it's people from Golden-Road?[/quote]Well, speaking for myself, I can tell you that it has nothing to do with whether people are from Golden Road or not, and I think my decade-plus reputation around the interwebs ought to account for something when I say that.[/quote]
Not directed at you, Matt.

[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'225883\' date=\'Sep 14 2009, 05:04 PM\']And when I see:[quote name=\'ClockGameJohn\' post=\'194636\' date=\'Aug 20 2008, 05:04 PM\']Perhaps if everyone understood why the Make Your Mark change was implemented, it would stand to reason why some [of us] get frustrated.[/quote]I'm sorry, but I'm not seeing any 'not-too-cryptic allusions'.  I see an argument trying to be won by "I know, but I'm not telling."  Now maybe because you're closer to it, you think it's a lot more obvious to the rest of us that when one of you says something like that then it MUST have something to do with Drew.  But I can honestly say that now, a year later, when one of you finally spells out what the reason was, that reason never occurred to me.  The statement finally makes sense.[/quote]
Okay, there you've got a point.  I was thinking about my own statements when I wrote that.  For what it's worth, I didn't even know the whole deal with the game until around May (although I knew long before then that it was dead).

I dunno...maybe I'm just more willing to accept that when John doesn't spell things out, he's doing it for a reason.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #48 on: September 14, 2009, 05:37:45 PM »
[quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\' post=\'225886\' date=\'Sep 14 2009, 05:12 PM\']I dunno...maybe I'm just more willing to accept that when John doesn't spell things out, he's doing it for a reason.[/quote]
Absolutely.  And since you know him better, that certainly makes sense.  I think one of the problems (and the difference between this and when somebody else -- myself included -- does it) is that this 'insider" card was played in the middle of a heated, divisive argument.  Really, nothing good could possibly come of that.  Honestly, maybe on Golden Road, John saying "you guys are just going to have to trust me" carries more weight than it does here.  Here, in this particular instance, it just came across as condescending to the other side, who were making some decent points without having to couch them in secrecy.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #49 on: September 14, 2009, 06:32:52 PM »
[quote name=\'pacdude\' post=\'225882\' date=\'Sep 14 2009, 01:59 PM\'][quote name=\'CarShark\' post=\'225879\' date=\'Sep 14 2009, 04:47 PM\'][quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\' post=\'225875\' date=\'Sep 14 2009, 04:33 PM\']When we know something that we can't reveal the details of, would you really prefer for us to stay completely quiet about it instead of making not-terribly-cryptic allusions to it?[/quote]Yes.
[/quote]
Seconded.
[/quote]
Thirded. Filled with win, both of you.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

BrandonFG

« Reply #50 on: September 14, 2009, 06:38:33 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'225896\' date=\'Sep 14 2009, 06:32 PM\'][quote name=\'pacdude\' post=\'225882\' date=\'Sep 14 2009, 01:59 PM\'][quote name=\'CarShark\' post=\'225879\' date=\'Sep 14 2009, 04:47 PM\'][quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\' post=\'225875\' date=\'Sep 14 2009, 04:33 PM\']When we know something that we can't reveal the details of, would you really prefer for us to stay completely quiet about it instead of making not-terribly-cryptic allusions to it?[/quote]Yes.
[/quote]
Seconded.
[/quote]
Thirded. Filled with win, both of you.
[/quote]
Fourthed. It reminds me of the mystery host of the game show pilot from a few years ago. It caused a huge fustercluck on the board, all over a game show host. I'd rather you just not speak instead of dangling a carrot in front of me, then pulling back and giggling wildly as you do so.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

clemon79

« Reply #51 on: September 14, 2009, 06:40:09 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'225899\' date=\'Sep 14 2009, 03:38 PM\']Fourthed. It reminds me of the mystery host of the game show pilot from a few years ago. It caused a huge fustercluck on the board, all over a game show host.[/quote]
An artificially and intentionally created one, at that.

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #52 on: September 14, 2009, 07:02:40 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'225899\' date=\'Sep 14 2009, 06:38 PM\']Fourthed. It reminds me of the mystery host of the game show pilot from a few years ago. It caused a huge fustercluck on the board, all over a game show host. I'd rather you just not speak instead of dangling a carrot in front of me, then pulling back and giggling wildly as you do so.[/quote]
If you think I enjoy doing this, you really need to reexamine the situation.  I hate sitting on information.  The whole reason I say as much as I do is in hopes of somebody figuring it out on their own.

tyshaun1

« Reply #53 on: September 14, 2009, 07:10:39 PM »
[quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\' post=\'225905\' date=\'Sep 14 2009, 07:02 PM\']If you think I enjoy doing this, you really need to reexamine the situation.  I hate sitting on information.  The whole reason I say as much as I do is in hopes of somebody figuring it out on their own.[/quote]
Then keep it to yourself. There are not nearly as many big TPIR fans as there are on Golden Road, so when you play that game, you're not gonna get as many "Ooh! Ooh! Tell us! Tell us!" as you would over there.

Tyshaun

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #54 on: September 14, 2009, 07:12:22 PM »
[quote name=\'tyshaun1\' post=\'225909\' date=\'Sep 14 2009, 07:10 PM\'][quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\' post=\'225905\' date=\'Sep 14 2009, 07:02 PM\']If you think I enjoy doing this, you really need to reexamine the situation.  I hate sitting on information.  The whole reason I say as much as I do is in hopes of somebody figuring it out on their own.[/quote]Then keep it to yourself. There are not nearly as many big TPIR fans as there are on Golden Road, so when you play that game, you're not gonna get as many "Ooh! Ooh! Tell us! Tell us!" as you would over there.[/quote]
Which, again, is not what I want, since when I do it, I can't elaborate.

For God's sake...isn't someone allowed to do something without a freakin' ulterior motive beyond hoping people will think for a few seconds?

BrandonFG

« Reply #55 on: September 14, 2009, 07:15:06 PM »
[quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\' post=\'225905\' date=\'Sep 14 2009, 07:02 PM\'][quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'225899\' date=\'Sep 14 2009, 06:38 PM\']Fourthed. It reminds me of the mystery host of the game show pilot from a few years ago. It caused a huge fustercluck on the board, all over a game show host. I'd rather you just not speak instead of dangling a carrot in front of me, then pulling back and giggling wildly as you do so.[/quote]
If you think I enjoy doing this, you really need to reexamine the situation.  I hate sitting on information.  The whole reason I say as much as I do is in hopes of somebody figuring it out on their own.
[/quote]
Understood, and I can understand hating to fight the urge not to speak up. However, when you do throw the carrot out there, it opens the possibility of a) speculation that runs from plausible to just ridiculous. From there it usually turns into disaster.

That's why some of us say it's better to just not bring it up at all. When it's okay to spill the beans, then watch the response.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #56 on: September 14, 2009, 07:22:14 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'225912\' date=\'Sep 14 2009, 07:15 PM\']Understood, and I can understand hating to fight the urge not to speak up. However, when you do throw the carrot out there, it opens the possibility of a) speculation that runs from plausible to just ridiculous. From there it usually turns into disaster.

That's why some of us say it's better to just not bring it up at all. When it's okay to spill the beans, then watch the response.[/quote]
I greatly appreciate getting a reasonable response like this, as opposed to "Shut up, and congratulations to everyone else who's insulted you."

clemon79

« Reply #57 on: September 14, 2009, 08:03:56 PM »
[quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\' post=\'225914\' date=\'Sep 14 2009, 04:22 PM\']I greatly appreciate getting a reasonable response like this, as opposed to "Shut up, and congratulations to everyone else who's insulted you."[/quote]
You asked a question, you got an answer, and I was pleased to see other people (who are also guilty of nothing more than answering the question you asked) speaking up.

Sorry it wasn't the answer you wanted to hear.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2009, 08:05:35 PM by clemon79 »

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #58 on: September 14, 2009, 08:12:10 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'225926\' date=\'Sep 14 2009, 08:03 PM\'][quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\' post=\'225914\' date=\'Sep 14 2009, 04:22 PM\']I greatly appreciate getting a reasonable response like this, as opposed to "Shut up, and congratulations to everyone else who's insulted you."[/quote]You asked a question, you got an answer, and I was pleased to see other people (who are also guilty of nothing more than answering the question you asked) speaking up.

Sorry it wasn't the answer you wanted to hear.[/quote]
Yes, and then you came in and acted like your usual, arrogant self.

Brandon was the only person who gave an explanation, or even anything close to it.  And you, of course, just felt like being a jackass.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2009, 08:13:29 PM by Steve Gavazzi »

chad1m

« Reply #59 on: September 14, 2009, 08:29:38 PM »
[quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\' post=\'225930\' date=\'Sep 14 2009, 08:12 PM\']And you, of course, just felt like being a jackass.[/quote]Steve, that's at least the second time in a week you've called someone that, with me being the first. For someone who isn't always the friendliest gent, I don't think it's warranted to continue such name-calling. The fact that you've seemed to find it necessary to deride a good number of people recently might make you want to step back and examine yourself before continuing on the warpath.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2009, 08:31:01 PM by chad1m »