Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Casually dressed hosts  (Read 7946 times)

toetyper

Casually dressed hosts
« on: August 10, 2009, 10:15:18 AM »
ben bailey hosts cash cab in t-shirt and  jeans  (i hope)

trebek, did classic concentration in sweaters ditto combs on feud

who else /

SteveR

Casually dressed hosts
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2009, 10:30:45 AM »
I assume you mean more casual than just the recent trend of open-collar shirts ... but the first that comes to mind is David Ruprecht from Supermarket Sweep.

Also, Bob Eubanks hosted Trivia Trap in sweaters ... as well as the teams wearing red/blue sweaters.

Neumms

Casually dressed hosts
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2009, 10:32:06 AM »
[quote name=\'toetyper\' post=\'222426\' date=\'Aug 10 2009, 09:15 AM\']ben bailey hosts cash cab in t-shirt and  jeans  (i hope)

who else /[/quote]

Bob Eubanks had those stylish v-neck sweaters on "Trivia Trap" and the Hawaiian shirts on "Diamond Head Game." Paul Rodriguez didn't wear a suit on his "Newlywed Game," did he? There were are couple of times Art Fleming hosted "Jeopardy" in a smoking jacket and ascot.

Bob Zager

Casually dressed hosts
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2009, 11:16:04 AM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' post=\'222433\' date=\'Aug 10 2009, 10:32 AM\'][quote name=\'toetyper\' post=\'222426\' date=\'Aug 10 2009, 09:15 AM\']ben bailey hosts cash cab in t-shirt and  jeans  (i hope)

who else /[/quote]

Bob Eubanks had those stylish v-neck sweaters on "Trivia Trap" and the Hawaiian shirts on "Diamond Head Game." Paul Rodriguez didn't wear a suit on his "Newlywed Game," did he? There were are couple of times Art Fleming hosted "Jeopardy" in a smoking jacket and ascot.
[/quote]
I'd first seen Eubanks dressed casually on All-Star Secrets, which he was Executive Producer (along with Michael Hill), as well as host.  He'd just about always wore denim blue jeans, even on those days when wearing a dress shirt, necktie, and sport coat!

Jimmy Owen

Casually dressed hosts
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2009, 11:48:40 AM »
Sonny Fox wore polo shirts on "Way Out Games," Soupy Sales a sweater with dress shirt underneath, collar out on "Jr. Almost Anything Goes."  Matt Ottinger wore a sweater on the "Quizbusters" spin-off, "Quizbusters, Jr."  

Bob Bergen, Sidoni, Nicotero, etc.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 05:13:27 PM by Jimmy Owen »
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Neumms

Casually dressed hosts
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2009, 11:51:11 AM »
[quote name=\'SteveR\' post=\'222432\' date=\'Aug 10 2009, 09:30 AM\']I assume you mean more casual than just the recent trend of open-collar shirts ... but the first that comes to mind is David Ruprecht from Supermarket Sweep.

Also, Bob Eubanks hosted Trivia Trap in sweaters ... as well as the teams wearing red/blue sweaters.[/quote]

Ruprecht would have been way cooler if dressed like Mr. Whipple.

WhammyPower

Casually dressed hosts
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2009, 11:54:31 AM »
The lower half of Peter Marshall.  How much more casual can you get?
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 11:55:02 AM by WhammyPower »

BillCullen1

Casually dressed hosts
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2009, 11:55:30 AM »
Jimmy Kimmel on Win Ben Stein's Money dressed casually, Ben wore a suit and tie. Peter Marshall sometimes dressed casually on Squares. During Lin Bolen's era at NBC, most of the hosts went tieless and wore leisure suits. Supposedly Dennis James wore bell bottoms a couple of times on daytime NTT. That must've been a sight.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 11:56:07 AM by BillCullen1 »

Robair

Casually dressed hosts
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2009, 12:42:32 PM »
I think the first one on network TV to really dress down was Monty Hall on daytime LMAD. He liked those avant-garde leisure suits, Nehrus, etc. I also seem to remember Jim Lange once -- and only once -- host "Dating Game" outdoors in only a pair of swim trunks. Come to think, Jim was also a big early advocate of Astro Sign Medallions, Nehrus, and turtlenecks.

During all the daytime games he did I don't ever remember Geoff Edwards ever wearing a tie, and conversely I never remember seeing Dick Enberg in anything but a suit and tie.
--Robair

Kevin Prather

Casually dressed hosts
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2009, 02:40:21 PM »
Bert Convy hosted WLoD in casual clothing. I think on some on-location episodes in Hawaii, Pat Sajak was wearing Hawaiian attire.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 02:40:59 PM by Kevin Prather »

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
Casually dressed hosts
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2009, 04:06:08 PM »
Chuck Barris on GONG didn't wear tuxes every day.  One episode featured him in a Philadelphia Eagles uniform.
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

mxc0427

Casually dressed hosts
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2009, 04:55:04 PM »
I always liked Marc Summers' wardrobe on "Double Dare." Suit jacket and jeans with sneakers. I find that to be along the lines of casual.

Jimmy Owen

Casually dressed hosts
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2009, 05:17:30 PM »
[quote name=\'BillCullen1\' post=\'222448\' date=\'Aug 10 2009, 11:55 AM\']Jimmy Kimmel on Win Ben Stein's Money dressed casually, Ben wore a suit and tie. Peter Marshall sometimes dressed casually on Squares. During Lin Bolen's era at NBC, most of the hosts went tieless and wore leisure suits. Supposedly Dennis James wore bell bottoms a couple of times on daytime NTT. That must've been a sight.[/quote]

I don't think Bill Cullen wore a tie on "Winning Streak," or if he did it was one of those ascot things.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 05:17:45 PM by Jimmy Owen »
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

BrandonFG

Casually dressed hosts
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2009, 05:24:13 PM »
I can't tell, but that might be a tie.

I noticed that on Don't Forget the Lyrics, Wayne Brady often went for what I call the "Kanye" look: sportcoat, graphic T-shirt, and jeans. IIRC, Marc Summers wore a sportcoat with jeans on Double Dare. At the age of 5, I remember loving his "Reeboks and no socks" look.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 05:29:10 PM by fostergray82 »
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

davemackey

Casually dressed hosts
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2009, 06:20:22 PM »
[quote name=\'Kevin Prather\' post=\'222471\' date=\'Aug 10 2009, 02:40 PM\']Bert Convy hosted WLoD in casual clothing. I think on some on-location episodes in Hawaii, Pat Sajak was wearing Hawaiian attire.[/quote]
Bert also donned a Miami Vice look for some episodes of "Super Password".

Jim Lange once hosted a "Dating Game" taped in Hawaii wearing only swim trunks. He probably qualifies as Least Dressed Host.