Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Picture of TPiR's new showcase podiums  (Read 66871 times)

CarShark

Picture of TPiR's new showcase podiums
« Reply #45 on: August 25, 2009, 05:51:12 PM »
[quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\' post=\'224087\' date=\'Aug 25 2009, 03:58 PM\'][quote name=\'Mr. Armadillo\' post=\'224079\' date=\'Aug 25 2009, 02:34 PM\']I say this as someone who misses the classic as much as you do, but realizes it's just not feasible to keep that going in 2009.[/quote]
You seriously think it's not feasible, and not just a by-product of having Doofus McGoofus running the place?
[/quote]
I don't know if feasible is the right word. Maybe palatable. I imagine they don't want to be seen as an "old" or "dated" show, what with the electromechanical games and 20-year-old, wholly non-HD worthy sets but are afraid to go all the way into the 21st century and fading into the sea of modernness. So they compromise. Not that it's necessarily bad. DiPirro is the only one who does it consistently well, right now. My problem, as usual with a Christensen-Dukes set, is that terrible color choices were made. It's not pastel-period bad, but still...it could be a LOT better.

And I'm fairly glad with Drew's more casual approach to the show, but I wish he'd take the bones of the show more seriously. I understand that time constraints probably make him rush a bit more than he'd like, but I still think he could do a better job of inserting. I like that an "outsider" has claws into the show, though. It makes the production feel less formulaic to me.

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #46 on: August 25, 2009, 08:44:34 PM »
[quote name=\'CarShark\' post=\'224101\' date=\'Aug 25 2009, 05:51 PM\']And I'm fairly glad with Drew's more casual approach to the show, but I wish he'd take the bones of the show more seriously. I understand that time constraints probably make him rush a bit more than he'd like,[/quote]
I still don't get where people come up with this.  Drew does not rush.  He takes as long as he wants to do whatever he wants to do, and if the show runs long because of it, they just have to start editing things.  I've heard repeatedly over the last two years that Make Your Move and Ten Chances in particular regularly have the living daylights chopped out of them because Drew refuses to tell anyone that they're taking too long to make a decision.

tyshaun1

« Reply #47 on: August 25, 2009, 09:24:25 PM »
[quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\' post=\'224111\' date=\'Aug 25 2009, 08:44 PM\']I've heard repeatedly over the last two years that Make Your Move and Ten Chances in particular regularly have the living daylights chopped out of them because Drew refuses to tell anyone that they're taking too long to make a decision.[/quote]
And I still don't understand why this is a big deal. Millionaire did this for years and no one complained, and as long as it doesn't affect the outcome of the game, what's the difference?

Tyshaun

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
« Reply #48 on: August 25, 2009, 09:41:47 PM »
[quote name=\'tyshaun1\' post=\'224115\' date=\'Aug 25 2009, 09:24 PM\'][quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\' post=\'224111\' date=\'Aug 25 2009, 08:44 PM\']I've heard repeatedly over the last two years that Make Your Move and Ten Chances in particular regularly have the living daylights chopped out of them because Drew refuses to tell anyone that they're taking too long to make a decision.[/quote]
And I still don't understand why this is a big deal. Millionaire did this for years and no one complained, and as long as it doesn't affect the outcome of the game, what's the difference?

Tyshaun
[/quote]
A lot of PiR purists argue that such editing takes away from that spontaneous quality of the show. Which it sorta does.
Podcaster, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

tyshaun1

« Reply #49 on: August 25, 2009, 10:25:46 PM »
[quote name=\'DoorNumberFour\' post=\'224118\' date=\'Aug 25 2009, 09:41 PM\']A lot of PiR purists argue that such editing takes away from that spontaneous quality of the show. Which it sorta does.[/quote]
Yeah, I guess we all miss Bob Barker telling contestants, "Hurry up! Quit stalling! You're gonna lose your turn!". Good times.

Tyshaun

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #50 on: August 25, 2009, 11:25:04 PM »
[quote name=\'tyshaun1\' post=\'224115\' date=\'Aug 25 2009, 09:24 PM\']And I still don't understand why this is a big deal. Millionaire did this for years and no one complained, and as long as it doesn't affect the outcome of the game, what's the difference?[/quote]

I can't put my finger on the exact reason, but I'm not a fan. It goes against the live feel of the show. TPIR is the last bastion of the "old" way of doing a game show. To encourage edits would be losing that. It also shows a lack of control on Drew's part that he can't dictate the pace of his own show. Sure, you want the contestants to be comfortable, but they also shouldn't take 2 minutes to make a simple decision. It's not "unfair" to impose time limits. Granny may be sweet, but she gets roughly the same time as everybody else on Family Feud (and a short strike buzzer from Richard Dawson). Heck, it's a game show. The whole idea is nerve wracking, tension-filled. If the contestants can dictate the show like that, then every game would be Plinko or something.

To compare it to Millionaire - those people were playing for life changing sums of money. TPIR contestants are dwelling over the price of designer perfume and laser tag guns.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #51 on: August 25, 2009, 11:31:38 PM »
It also shows a lack of control on Drew's part that he can't dictate the pace of his own show.
Can you say "No live broadcasting chops"?

CarShark

« Reply #52 on: August 26, 2009, 12:34:30 AM »
[quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\' post=\'224111\' date=\'Aug 25 2009, 08:44 PM\']I still don't get where people come up with this.  Drew does not rush.  He takes as long as he wants to do whatever he wants to do, and if the show runs long because of it, they just have to start editing things.  I've heard repeatedly over the last two years that Make Your Move and Ten Chances in particular regularly have the living daylights chopped out of them because Drew refuses to tell anyone that they're taking too long to make a decision.[/quote]
That part I know about. But when I'm watching the show, it seems to me like he's self-editing his conversations with the contestants and going through the motions in an effort to save time, like Barker did in his later years.

I also don't mind the editing, if done well, because I join Tyshaun in not finding Barker crabbily barking "Hurry UP! This is only an hour show!" to be good television. If it means that longer games like Ten Chances and Temptation actually get to fit in more line-ups and get played more often, then so be it. If the show loses any more time to commercials, as I think it will, judicious edits will be even more welcome.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 12:36:13 AM by CarShark »

gaubster2

« Reply #53 on: August 26, 2009, 01:07:32 AM »
As far as edits go, Price just doesn't "feel" the same.  If the edits are barely (if at all) noticeable, then no problem.  But I've always cringed at a "choppy" edit.  More and more commercial time leaving less and less time for games to be played (or interaction with the contestants) is slowly killing the show.  Barker was able to adjust on the fly.  (Heck, even Rayburn on Match Game, Dawson on Feud, Ludden on Password Plus, Combs on Feud, Clark on Pyramid, etc. were able to hurry things along when necessary.)  However, if Drew cannot work within the confines of an ever-shrinking time budget, then the show is going to feel even less like TPIR and more like a rush job.  I've never like the "welcometothepriceisrighthereisthefirstitemupfobids" tactic when Barker did it either.  I chalked it up to "that's just the way it is now".  Keeping the "live to tape" aspect of the show retains its fun and spontaneity in the same way that live radio is much more fun to listen to than voice-tracking.  I got out of radio right before "jock-in-the-box" was employed at our station due to budget restraints.

Secondly, those showcase podiums are ugly and look cheap.  I'll withhold further judgement until I can see them in action during the new season.  Also, I realize that the turntable seems to appear "smaller than normal" in HD, but that pic makes it appear even smaller.  Again, it'll be interesting how the entire production comes off on tv.

Chris

/Having fun with "quotation marks"

TimK2003

« Reply #54 on: August 26, 2009, 09:17:45 AM »
[quote name=\'gaubster2\' post=\'224134\' date=\'Aug 26 2009, 01:07 AM\']As far as edits go, Price just doesn't "feel" the same.  If the edits are barely (if at all) noticeable, then no problem.  But I've always cringed at a "choppy" edit.  ....   Keeping the "live to tape" aspect of the show retains its fun and spontaneity in the same way that live radio is much more fun to listen to than voice-tracking.  I got out of radio right before "jock-in-the-box" was employed at our station due to budget restraints.[/quote]

I felt the same way about the later years of "Match Game".  The choppy edits really took the fun out of watching, and especially playing along with, the show.

Mr. Brown

« Reply #55 on: August 26, 2009, 04:05:58 PM »
You know, speaking of editing, I don't believe Drew's willingness to let contestants take their sweet time is the whole issue.

There's a mentality held by younger & newer television producers that editing is the easy & cheap (relative to how much it used to be) way out. Older producers tend to try to get everything in one take, simply because they were raised at a time when editing was a relatively expensive, and time consuming, thing to do. Nowadays, a lot of shows are shot on digital tape, which is relatively easy to edit - not to mention the fact that you can do some rather professional editing with "consumer" software, which says something for the professional products that are out there.

Editing still isn't cheap, but it's cheaper and far easier than it once was, and as the older folks start to the leave (or get forced out of) the industry, we're going to see more of it.
Cheers,
Mr. Brown, Esq.
‎"I am on a drug. It's called Charlie Sheen. It's not available because if you try it, you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body." -Charlie Sheen

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #56 on: August 26, 2009, 09:17:09 PM »
What you said, and CBS seems willing to lavish almost unlimited sums of money on TPIR. $7 million emcee? No problem! Revamp the set? No problem! Designer prizes? No problem! Edit every show? No problem!

In the olden days game shows were done LIVE -- can you imagine that? The post budget was zero. As they ramped up to five shows per day, producers saw no reason to spend money to edit shows they used to be able to do live. That, and producers were loathe to keep the studio audience waiting while the production people did their thing.

At CBS TV City, all shows are recorded directly to disk. There is no tape involved.

gaubster2

« Reply #57 on: August 26, 2009, 10:43:38 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'224196\' date=\'Aug 26 2009, 06:17 PM\']What you said, and CBS seems willing to lavish almost unlimited sums of money on TPIR. $7 million emcee? No problem! Revamp the set? No problem! Designer prizes? No problem! Edit every show? No problem!

In the olden days game shows were done LIVE -- can you imagine that? The post budget was zero. As they ramped up to five shows per day, producers saw no reason to spend money to edit shows they used to be able to do live. That, and producers were loathe to keep the studio audience waiting while the production people did their thing.

At CBS TV City, all shows are recorded directly to disk. There is no tape involved.[/quote]
I never followed how much Barker made doing Price.  Is Drew making MORE than Bob was?

chad1m

« Reply #58 on: August 26, 2009, 11:00:56 PM »
[quote name=\'gaubster2\' post=\'224203\' date=\'Aug 26 2009, 10:43 PM\']Is Drew making MORE than Bob was?[/quote]No.

Mr. Brown

« Reply #59 on: August 27, 2009, 12:18:15 AM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'224196\' date=\'Aug 26 2009, 08:17 PM\']At CBS TV City, all shows are recorded directly to disk. There is no tape involved.[/quote]

Since that's the case, then it makes it even easier (and more tempting) to edit the show!

I mean, come on, the EP is allegedly ordering reshoots of small prizes because they have fingerprints on them. It's not like they're opening one of the doors and seeing a Ford Focus with bird crap all over it. What's next - handling prizes in a Class 1 clean room?

Call me crazy, but I recall hearing (on here, no less) about a taping of one particular game show -- I think it was Deal or No Deal -- that took in excess of 5 hours. If that doesn't prove there's an editing mentality amongst those in the industry now, I don't know what does!

And speaking of Drew's salary - anybody noticed he's getting paid as much as Maury Povich?
« Last Edit: August 27, 2009, 12:33:21 AM by Mr. Brown »
Cheers,
Mr. Brown, Esq.
‎"I am on a drug. It's called Charlie Sheen. It's not available because if you try it, you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body." -Charlie Sheen