Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: I got the call from WWTBAM!  (Read 7151 times)

GiraffeBoy

• "He can solve puzzles, that's for sure."-Pat Sajak
I got the call from WWTBAM!
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2009, 01:18:53 AM »
Congrats! If (and I'm sure this is a big "if") you need to fill out your PAF list, please let me know.  (I'm weak in the lit and fine arts categories, but other than that, I'm good.)

--Charlie, DCA MPW #42
"B, 2 hours, 52 minutes, 59 seconds...final answer?"
WWTBAM Play It! DCA Million Point Winner #42 - Stick your neck out with pride!

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2009, 01:26:30 AM »
Wait, so hold on a minute. Would it make sense, then, for me to hold onto some sort of hope that they may call me as well? (I was told to expect my call on Monday too.)
Podcaster, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

RyanCDN

« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2009, 11:46:10 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'220853\' date=\'Jul 22 2009, 06:45 PM\']They're calling for a landline for the same reason Stu Shostak called for one on his little streaming radio game show - call quality. They do not want to run into a "Hey, I'm gonna lose the signal, I'm going into a tunnel" situation with fifteen seconds to go, nor do they want to deal with a provider dropping the call.[/quote]

And hence, why I maintain a land line . . . in case I am needed for Millionaire.  Seriosuly though, I know a lot of people are strictly on a cell phone, but there is something about having that land line for quality.
Ryan
“I’ll give away a Zed.”

tvmitch

« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2009, 02:56:28 PM »
[quote name=\'tomobrien\' post=\'220858\' date=\'Jul 22 2009, 08:04 PM\']Mr. Lemon's on target on both points.  Ten years ago, it had nothing to do with reasonable cell plans--as they said then, it was all about call quality.  And on Stu's show, we used landlines just so we wouldn't have unclear/dropped/disconnected cell calls (which happened more than once during the few special times we allowed cell usage).

Trust me, the last thing you want to think about in the hot seat is an unclear/dropped connection for your PAF.[/quote]
I'm not in disagreement with Mr. Lemon's points about the landline - it's certainly preferable over any mobile phone. It's why some frequent out-of-studio radio talk show guests make a habit of using pay phones if they're on the road. And I definitely wouldn't want my PAF to be on mobile only...it's just that some may find landline PAFs hard to come by since, like it or not, so many people are making their cell phone their main phone line.

/Skype is missing a terrific opportunity here...video PAFs might have been quite a neat gimmick.
//Rules: "Your Phone-A-Friend must have a landline phone and at least 6/1.5 in bandwidth to qualify..."
You should follow me on Twitter

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2009, 03:06:24 PM »
[quote name=\'mitchgroff\' post=\'220911\' date=\'Jul 23 2009, 11:56 AM\']...it's just that some may find landline PAFs hard to come by since, like it or not, so many people are making their cell phone their main phone line.[/quote]
No question it's fast becoming an outdated rule that they will one day have to scuttle. Fortunately most of the folks I'd want on a PAF list have either landlines or office phones.
/Skype is missing a terrific opportunity here...video PAFs might have been quite a neat gimmick.
The only promotion Ebay is actively interested in including Skype in is one that would let them sell it.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

goongas

« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2009, 05:09:55 PM »
They do use Skype for the Ask the Expert on the Syndicated show, so it isn't out of the question they could use it for phone a friends as well.

pentellit

« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2009, 01:29:05 AM »
OH MY GOODNESS!!!  How exciting!  

Please make notes so you can report back everything to us!  Even what they serve at Craft Services!

Timsterino

« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2009, 10:56:19 AM »
[quote name=\'pentellit\' post=\'221123\' date=\'Jul 26 2009, 01:29 AM\']OH MY GOODNESS!!!  How exciting!  

Please make notes so you can report back everything to us!  Even what they serve at Craft Services![/quote]

Congratulations! It was an experience of a lifetime for me! Just remember, to take it all in! :)

GOOD LUCK!

HYHYBT

« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2009, 02:27:24 PM »
But 2009? I can count on one hand the number of people I know under 30 years old who have landlines.
Is DSL service really that unpopular?
"If you ask me to repeat this I'm gonna punch you right in the nose" -- Geoff Edwards, Play the Percentages

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2009, 02:29:29 PM »
[quote name=\'HYHYBT\' post=\'221146\' date=\'Jul 26 2009, 11:27 AM\']Is DSL service really that unpopular?[/quote]
One can have DSL service without maintaining a landline phone.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

aaron sica

« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2009, 02:35:50 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'221147\' date=\'Jul 26 2009, 02:29 PM\'][quote name=\'HYHYBT\' post=\'221146\' date=\'Jul 26 2009, 11:27 AM\']Is DSL service really that unpopular?[/quote]
One can have DSL service without maintaining a landline phone.
[/quote]

Indeed....It's called many things..."Naked DSL", "Standalone DSL", "Dry Loop". Uses the data portion of the line, not voice. No land line phone service is required for use.

Nik B

« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2009, 05:52:15 PM »
Hi everyone. I'm a finalist for the show being taped next Tuesday. Does anyone have any non-obvious tips for the fastest finger or general gameplay? I've seen the show many, many times so I've certainly got the gist of it, but I figure it couldn't hurt to ask. The producers asked me if I was practicing for the fastest finger and I told them I simply do not have a clue about how I would practice for something like that, other than going back to my high school hockey days.

So far as the celebrities, I'm personally fairly indifferent; I merely wish for the most amount of questions asked in the least amount of time so that more finalists (and perhaps myself) get a chance to be in the seat.

pentellit

« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2009, 07:50:19 PM »
[quote name=\'Nik B\' post=\'221257\' date=\'Jul 27 2009, 02:52 PM\']Hi everyone. I'm a finalist for the show being taped next Tuesday. Does anyone have any non-obvious tips for the fastest finger or general gameplay? I've seen the show many, many times so I've certainly got the gist of it, but I figure it couldn't hurt to ask.[/quote]

I took your question to my friend who worked with contestants on numerous shows.  She said that people always asked her similar questions, and she told them to remember to breathe.  I know it sounds obvious, but many people hold their breath in stressful situations (this certainly qualifies!).  So breathe NikB, and keep breathing and keep oxygenating the blood to your brain.

And have FUN!  And tell us all about it!
« Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 07:55:54 PM by pentellit »

tvmitch

« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2009, 09:07:52 PM »
I tell you what, one regret I have as a ring-of-fire player who didn't make it to play for money is that I sat and studied all sorts of facts. Facts, facts, facts. People giving me books, telling me what to study, blah de blah.

And it didn't do one iota of good, because I didn't make it in the Hot Seat.

What I should have been doing is practicing Fastest Finger questions. Or playing video games, anything to quicken my reflexes. Now that there are Millionaire video games out there, play them, but only for the FF questions. Have your friends make FF questions for you to play. That would be my advice...don't worry about the questions in the seat as much as getting into the seat in the first place. I don't have too many regrets, but I do regret not practicing my reflexes more, because I might have been a tenth of a second faster.

I reckon it's probably a good idea to be as updated on the minutiae of current events and pop culture as possible. Read a few newspapers front to back on the plane flight. That's the kind of stuff where you're sitting and playing, and you say, "hey, I just read about this thing."

Good luck to anyone who's playing! Don't let Regis dawdle, get those questions in!
You should follow me on Twitter

HYHYBT

« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2009, 09:17:55 PM »
Indeed....It's called many things..."Naked DSL", "Standalone DSL", "Dry Loop". Uses the data portion of the line, not voice. No land line phone service is required for use.
I'll have to look into that. The last time I checked, you couldn't do that here; I didn't realize it was possible elsewhere.
"If you ask me to repeat this I'm gonna punch you right in the nose" -- Geoff Edwards, Play the Percentages