Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: I got the call from WWTBAM!  (Read 7149 times)

mcsittel

I got the call from WWTBAM!
« on: July 22, 2009, 05:26:14 PM »
My cell phone rang at work about 2 pm CT this afternoon and when I saw a (212) area code on it, I wasn't sure what it was.  When they told me *why* they were calling, I couldn't believe it!  They mentioned that they've been calling people since Monday.  The whole call took almost half an hour, so maybe it takes more time than we thought to call and go through all the qualification stuff.

My tape date is August 5th.  I've got until this Friday to get all the paperwork filled out (they sent a bunch of stuff via e-mail which I've only had time to glance it).  I'm still in shock that they called!

Matt

Kevin Prather

« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2009, 05:28:06 PM »
Congratulations!

chad1m

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2009, 05:35:36 PM »
Very awesome. I'd offer my services as a PAF but I'm already serving for someone and, apparently, you can only be on one person's list during the primetime run. I'm sure others here will be glad to offer their (likely better) services to you. Congratulations! :)

Kniwt

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2009, 05:39:22 PM »
[quote name=\'mcsittel\' post=\'220838\' date=\'Jul 22 2009, 02:26 PM\']My cell phone rang at work about 2 pm CT this afternoon[/quote]

Just to check what you're saying here ... you got your callback, but not on the day that had been assigned?

tvmitch

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2009, 07:18:36 PM »
Congratulations! Do us game show fans slash TV Guide collectors slash DX enthusiasts proud!
You should follow me on Twitter

mcsittel

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2009, 07:25:20 PM »
[quote name=\'Kniwt\' post=\'220842\' date=\'Jul 22 2009, 04:39 PM\'][quote name=\'mcsittel\' post=\'220838\' date=\'Jul 22 2009, 02:26 PM\']My cell phone rang at work about 2 pm CT this afternoon[/quote]

Just to check what you're saying here ... you got your callback, but not on the day that had been assigned?
[/quote]
Correct.  July 20 was the quoted callback date.  They called today, July 22nd about 2pm CT.  

They gave me until 5 pm July 23 (i.e., tomorrow) to fill out the contestant interview form (9 pages), and July 24 to get the phone-a-friend waivers and photos to them.  I've got work to do!

Interesting that they require a land-line for calling a Phone-A-Friend, and availability for 5.5 hours during the taping date.  That will present some logistical problems.

If you'd like to be considered for a P-A-F, please reply below with your strongest (and weakest) categories.  I know what categories I need help with.  If that's your strong suit, we'll talk!

Matt

Kevin Prather

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2009, 07:31:59 PM »
I'd offer to be a Phone-a-friend, but I have no land line. Just my cell.

tvmitch

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2009, 07:38:08 PM »
I can imagine how a PAF landline requirement would be a really big hurdle. I'd offer PAF services but my only landline is at work and I'm up and away from my desk all day long.

Ten years ago, I can understand the landline thing. Reasonable cell phone plans were still only about 250 minutes/month, and mobile-to-mobile wasn't really hitting the streets. But 2009? I can count on one hand the number of people I know under 30 years old who have landlines.

/1, if you don't count VoIP
You should follow me on Twitter

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2009, 07:40:32 PM »
[quote name=\'mcsittel\' post=\'220847\' date=\'Jul 22 2009, 07:25 PM\']and availability for 5.5 hours during the taping date.  That will present some logistical problems.[/quote]
Are they taping multiple shows each day?
This signature is currently under construction.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2009, 07:45:32 PM »
They're calling for a landline for the same reason Stu Shostak called for one on his little streaming radio game show - call quality. They do not want to run into a "Hey, I'm gonna lose the signal, I'm going into a tunnel" situation with fifteen seconds to go, nor do they want to deal with a provider dropping the call.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

tomobrien

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2009, 08:04:53 PM »
[quote name=\'mitchgroff\' post=\'220850\' date=\'Jul 22 2009, 06:38 PM\']Ten years ago, I can understand the landline thing. Reasonable cell phone plans were still only about 250 minutes/month, and mobile-to-mobile wasn't really hitting the streets. But 2009? I can count on one hand the number of people I know under 30 years old who have landlines.[/quote]
Mr. Lemon's on target on both points.  Ten years ago, it had nothing to do with reasonable cell plans--as they said then, it was all about call quality.  And on Stu's show, we used landlines just so we wouldn't have unclear/dropped/disconnected cell calls (which happened more than once during the few special times we allowed cell usage).

Trust me, the last thing you want to think about in the hot seat is an unclear/dropped connection for your PAF.

Bill Neuweiler

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2009, 08:44:46 PM »
Matt, I'm very excited for you!  Go win a bundle!!
<p>I share a birthday with Jack Barry.

takinover

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2009, 09:39:42 PM »
Congrats and good luck!

Through which method did you qualify?  Was it the phone in game, auditions, or the video submission?

goongas

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2009, 09:52:46 PM »
I am available to be a PAF.  My strongest categories are pop culture, entertainment, current events, and history.  I am a very good Googler.  My weak categories are geography and food/cooking.

vtown7

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2009, 11:32:25 PM »
Matt - if they would allow a Canuck I'd be thrilled to serve as PAF!  I have a forte in languages (specifically French), theatre, business, pop culture, and of course those wonderful math questions they always throw out.  Science and American History would be out of my depth.

Break a leg!

Ryan :)