Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Weird $100K Pyramid Corner Case  (Read 1016 times)

Stripey

Weird $100K Pyramid Corner Case
« on: July 14, 2009, 01:33:21 AM »
From a WC in one of last week's GSN reruns: Joel Brooks is sitting in the giver's chair; he gets THINGS THAT ARE WILD in the $200 spot. They have a little trouble. He passes. Next category: THINGS THAT DESTROY (DESTRUCTIVE). He gives a few clues -- a small child, a hurricane, etc. -- and in a flurry of responses, his partner says "Wild things!" He passes again, and a second later the contestant says "Destructive things!"

The contestant got credit for THINGS THAT DESTROY (DESTRUCTIVE) in the $250 spot, but not THINGS THAT ARE WILD in the $200 spot. She got the $300 subject quickly, so missing that $200 box cost her a $25,000 win.

At first, I was surprised she wasn't awarded "WILD" since players often go back and "pick up," for lack of a better term, passed answers in the main game. The contestant's answers were coming so rapidly and the sequence was confusing enough that I wondered if the crew just missed her saying "wild things." On the other hand, it does seem in keeping with the spirit of the game that she did not get credit for stumbling into the right answer while playing a different category.

An odd sequence in any case. Has anyone ever seen another instance where the right answer was given at the wrong time in the WC?

Kevin Prather

« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2009, 02:23:45 AM »
This "picking up" you speak of actually happened in the WC quite a bit. Usually it was during the transition between categories, but sometimes it was while a category was in play. I think this is a case of the judge having to actually judge. It's clear that she was not "picking up" the last category, she was guessing on the current one.

Stripey

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2009, 02:46:06 AM »
Yes, good point, it wasn't uncommon for a delayed answer to happen in the WC as well, but rarely have I seen it so long after the fact in the WC. In the main game, of course, players would often call out a word after playing a few others in the meantime -- that's more the phenomenon I'm referring to. No matter, I think your read of the judging situation is right.

The moment was also a product of putting two fairly similar categories next to each other -- a lot of clues would fit both "wild" and "destructive."