Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: WWTBAM bringing back phone qualification...  (Read 23384 times)

Kniwt

WWTBAM bringing back phone qualification...
« Reply #75 on: July 13, 2009, 12:05:44 AM »
Oh, I forgot to chime in here.  I finally qualified on Friday with a seemingly easy stack of questions.  Question 4 was a basic arithmetic question (which, I guess, is "tough" for most Muhrkins), and question 5 was ordering political parties by when they were founded.

My callback (yeah, right) is next Friday.

chad1m

« Reply #76 on: July 13, 2009, 12:25:14 AM »
[quote name=\'Kevin Prather\' post=\'220095\' date=\'Jul 12 2009, 11:57 PM\']Out of curiosity, how many among us have been contestants on Millionaire?[/quote]Jay Lewis's page lists a few different names.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #77 on: July 13, 2009, 12:43:09 AM »
[quote name=\'Kevin Prather\' post=\'220095\' date=\'Jul 12 2009, 08:57 PM\']Out of curiosity, how many among us have been contestants on Millionaire? I know there's Peter Sarrett, Steve McClellan, James Dinan and Tom O'Brien, and I'm pretty sure that Ed Toutant has been here before.[/quote]
Ogi's been around, too.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Millionaire81

« Reply #78 on: July 13, 2009, 03:09:29 AM »
Finally.  Now the wait...again after 10 years.

tvmitch

« Reply #79 on: July 13, 2009, 08:53:42 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'220099\' date=\'Jul 13 2009, 12:43 AM\'][quote name=\'Kevin Prather\' post=\'220095\' date=\'Jul 12 2009, 08:57 PM\']Out of curiosity, how many among us have been contestants on Millionaire? I know there's Peter Sarrett, Steve McClellan, James Dinan and Tom O'Brien, and I'm pretty sure that Ed Toutant has been here before.[/quote]
Ogi's been around, too.
[/quote]
I know there's a number of poor souls on the board who were FF contestants but never played the Hot Seat. (I am part of this group, was on the show way back in April 2000.)

This pool of eligible folks, I'm sure, are playing the phone game as frantically as I am each night.
You should follow me on Twitter

TimK2003

« Reply #80 on: July 13, 2009, 09:22:43 PM »
[quote name=\'chad1m\' post=\'220094\' date=\'Jul 12 2009, 10:07 PM\'][quote name=\'joshg\' post=\'220087\' date=\'Jul 12 2009, 09:30 PM\']How many of us here qualified so far?[/quote]
- joshg
- mmb5
- dscungio
- tidefan12
- DoorNumberFour
- mcsittel
- trainman
- chad1m's dad
- rigsby

So, 8... 9 counting Daddy Wade.
[/quote]

I dunno how I did it, despite "mushmouth" trying to throw me off...but I did it tonight as well!!!  I picked Aug 3rd as my chosen tape date.  

In answer to a previous post, the time window for callbacks are between 9AM and 6PM Eastern, 7AM-4PM in the Mountain Zone.  

What a great way to get woken up on the Left Coast on Friday -- by "The Call".  

Good Luck to all of you...There's room in The Hot Seat for all of us!!!
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 09:25:59 PM by TimK2003 »

trainman

« Reply #81 on: July 13, 2009, 10:17:54 PM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' post=\'220139\' date=\'Jul 13 2009, 06:22 PM\']What a great way to get woken up on the Left Coast on Friday -- by "The Call".[/quote]

Jeez, I hope they don't call West Coasters during the early portion of the window.

I actually am awake by 6:00, but I'm not in the habit of taking my cell phone (the number I gave them) into the shower with me.
trainman is a man of trains

ethanmx2

« Reply #82 on: July 14, 2009, 12:57:15 AM »
Holy smokes! One and done... first try, and I qualified! Picking 7/31 for my date. I'll keep the phone nearby.

tvmitch

« Reply #83 on: July 14, 2009, 02:59:26 PM »
Last night, my wife had 5 fairly easy questions. We had an entry error on the fifth question. But it was things like easy U.S. geography, Best Picture winners spread out over decades, and the like.

Then I tried on my own, and I had two extraordinarily hard questions right off the bat, one on ordering First Ladies who were all within a 50-year time period (knew the correct order but it was hard to reason it out in 10 seconds), and the second question was about ordering inventions, which I bombed.

I did research afterwards on said inventions, and from what I can determine, all of them were created within a 25-year period, from 1890-1915. Two of the inventions were invented within 2 years of each other.

<GOB>COME ON!</GOB>

Two tries to go...
You should follow me on Twitter

colonial

« Reply #84 on: July 14, 2009, 03:11:58 PM »
[quote name=\'mitchgroff\' post=\'220161\' date=\'Jul 14 2009, 02:59 PM\']I did research afterwards on said inventions, and from what I can determine, all of them were created within a 25-year period, from 1890-1915. Two of the inventions were invented within 2 years of each other.

<GOB>COME ON!</GOB>

Two tries to go...[/quote]

It was mentioned on a WWTBAM-centric message board last week that one "Fifth Question" heard by a wanna-be contestant asked players to put four "reality" shows in order of their premiere.

The shows in question (Top Model, Top Chef, Biggest Loser, can't remember the fourth) premiered in 2003, 2004, 2005 and 2006.

And you thought a 25-year period was difficult...

JD

Mr. Armadillo

« Reply #85 on: July 14, 2009, 03:33:11 PM »
[quote name=\'mitchgroff\' post=\'220161\' date=\'Jul 14 2009, 01:59 PM\']Last night, my wife had 5 fairly easy questions. We had an entry error on the fifth question. But it was things like easy U.S. geography, Best Picture winners spread out over decades, and the like.

Then I tried on my own, and I had two extraordinarily hard questions right off the bat, one on ordering First Ladies who were all within a 50-year time period (knew the correct order but it was hard to reason it out in 10 seconds),[/quote]

Wait...spreading out Best Picture winners (of which there is one every year) over a period of decades is easy, but First Ladies (of which there are only 2-3 per decade) over a similar timeframe is difficult?  

I know that one is probably slightly easier than the other, but I doubt they're quite as different as you think they are.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #86 on: July 14, 2009, 03:45:00 PM »
[quote name=\'Mr. Armadillo\' post=\'220163\' date=\'Jul 14 2009, 03:33 PM\']Wait...spreading out Best Picture winners (of which there is one every year) over a period of decades is easy, but First Ladies (of which there are only 2-3 per decade) over a similar timeframe is difficult?  

I know that one is probably slightly easier than the other, but I doubt they're quite as different as you think they are.[/quote]
That's a good point.  For a lot of people, the order of the presidents is much easier than the order of Best Pictures.  A lot of this phone game is about getting the right set of questions that fit your particular strengths.  I had no problem with a challenging Q4 about the debuts of various TV characters (all within a six-year span) but failed on a relatively easy Q5 geography question about islands.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

ethanmx2

« Reply #87 on: July 14, 2009, 04:39:52 PM »
I would agree with that Matt. The difficulty does shift... like for me, the 2nd question was a lil harder then then 3rd. Here was the breakdown on my questions (with spoiler bar, obviously):

1- Put phrase in order. Of, Phillips, Milk, Magnesia
2- Put 20th Century events in chronological order. Earliest. Henry Ford assembly line, Microsoft starts up, Bell Corp. invents transistor, USSR launches Sputnik
3- Put post 1960s films in order of release. Earliest. When Harry Met Sally, Carrie, Something About Mary, Mary Poppins
4- Place music events in chronological order. Earliest. Born to Run released, Greatful Dead formed, Ginger leaves Spice Girls, Eye of the Tiger released
5- Put literary characters in order of debut. Earliest. Bridget Jones, Becky Thatcher, Daisy Buchanan, Lolita

I'll be honest... I got lucky on a couple... but I'll take it :P lol Hopefully I get the call... ummm, I do have a poser though... once I qualify, may I try to qualify for another taping? Or am i done and have to wait for the call (which, IIRC, is on Friday, correct?)?

chad1m

« Reply #88 on: July 14, 2009, 04:59:23 PM »
[quote name=\'ethanmx2\' post=\'220176\' date=\'Jul 14 2009, 04:39 PM\']may I try to qualify for another taping? Or am i done and have to wait for the call (which, IIRC, is on Friday, correct?)?[/quote]No, yes, and it depends on the tape date you selected.

ethanmx2

« Reply #89 on: July 14, 2009, 05:17:58 PM »
I picked the 31st for the tape date... so it should be soon, I believe.