Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: NEW PYRAMID CASTING.  (Read 60017 times)

chad1m

NEW PYRAMID CASTING.
« Reply #270 on: July 23, 2009, 07:34:41 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'220932\' date=\'Jul 23 2009, 07:26 PM\']I can't say I like the fact you have to send a picture with the initial email.[/quote]I'm not directing this toward you or anyone else, but it's simple: I (along with the casting agent and others, I assume) really don't want to watch ugly people on television. If they can see before you even start that you're not good looking enough to be on TV, that's less hearts to break. Yeah, it sucks, but them's the breaks. It's the way the biz works. Whether it's for good or for bad or fair or unfair is one's opinion. In 2009, being a game show contestant is just like being cast for any TV show or movie - if you don't fit what they're looking for, they won't accept you.

comicus

NEW PYRAMID CASTING.
« Reply #271 on: July 23, 2009, 07:59:46 PM »
[quote name=\'chad1m\' post=\'220933\' date=\'Jul 23 2009, 07:34 PM\'][quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'220932\' date=\'Jul 23 2009, 07:26 PM\']I can't say I like the fact you have to send a picture with the initial email.[/quote]I'm not directing this toward you or anyone else, but it's simple: I (along with the casting agent and others, I assume) really don't want to watch ugly people on television. If they can see before you even start that you're not good looking enough to be on TV, that's less hearts to break. Yeah, it sucks, but them's the breaks. It's the way the biz works. Whether it's for good or for bad or fair or unfair is one's opinion. In 2009, being a game show contestant is just like being cast for any TV show or movie - if you don't fit what they're looking for, they won't accept you.
[/quote]
Does not Approve.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
NEW PYRAMID CASTING.
« Reply #272 on: July 23, 2009, 08:18:50 PM »
[quote name=\'chad1m\' post=\'220933\' date=\'Jul 23 2009, 04:34 PM\']I'm not directing this toward you or anyone else,[/quote]
...and yet, it still came off completely dicky.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Kevin Prather

NEW PYRAMID CASTING.
« Reply #273 on: July 23, 2009, 08:25:28 PM »
[quote name=\'chad1m\' post=\'220933\' date=\'Jul 23 2009, 04:34 PM\'][quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'220932\' date=\'Jul 23 2009, 07:26 PM\']I can't say I like the fact you have to send a picture with the initial email.[/quote]I'm not directing this toward you or anyone else, but it's simple: I (along with the casting agent and others, I assume) really don't want to watch ugly people on television. [/quote]
Jeez, you've got SUCH a way with words.

BrandonFG

NEW PYRAMID CASTING.
« Reply #274 on: July 23, 2009, 08:32:41 PM »
[quote name=\'chad1m\' post=\'220933\' date=\'Jul 23 2009, 07:34 PM\'][quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'220932\' date=\'Jul 23 2009, 07:26 PM\']I can't say I like the fact you have to send a picture with the initial email.[/quote]I'm not directing this toward you or anyone else, but it's simple: I (along with the casting agent and others, I assume) really don't want to watch ugly people on television. If they can see before you even start that you're not good looking enough to be on TV, that's less hearts to break.
[/quote]
I don't think it's quite that superficial. I'm more inclined to believe they want to put a picture to the face. Honestly, if I'm looking for game show contestants, a big pile of papers sounds quite a bit boring. I'd like to a) see what I'm working with, and b) go for some diversity. I want to avoid the "middle-aged white guy" syndrome that plagued Regionaire* its first season. However, I also want to make sure not every contestant looks exactly the same. Not every production company uses Endammitall's line of reasoning.

*Coined c. 2009 in Norfolk, VA

That being said, I sent my application, pic and all. Hope they like the sweater vest. :-P
« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 08:39:16 PM by fostergray82 »
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

comicus

NEW PYRAMID CASTING.
« Reply #275 on: July 23, 2009, 08:32:49 PM »
Chad, truly... are you quite sure you don't want to reword that?

/Y'ain't exactly Fabio there, Mr. Rubble...

chad1m

NEW PYRAMID CASTING.
« Reply #276 on: July 23, 2009, 08:43:21 PM »
[quote name=\'CountdownRound\' post=\'220941\' date=\'Jul 23 2009, 08:32 PM\']Chad, truly... are you quite sure you don't want to reword that?
/Y'ain't exactly Fabio there, Mr. Rubble...[/quote]First off, are you saving photos of me? That's really creepy if you are, because that hasn't been available anywhere on the internet for the past 24 hours. Obviously, I deleted that because it's a terrible photo.

Secondly, I don't think I'm good looking, I never have and I appreciate you adding to my level of feeling self-concious and body issues. The fact that people want to put me on TV, though, helps me offset that and maybe make me think otherwise. Call me dickish (unfairly, IMO) or what have you when I never commented on anybody's looks at all, but I'm just talking about the way TV works.

[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'220940\' date=\'Jul 23 2009, 08:32 PM\']I want to avoid the "middle-aged white guy" syndrome that plagued Regionaire* its first season.[/quote]I think Michael Davies called it "Blue Shirt Syndrome."
« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 08:50:03 PM by chad1m »

comicus

NEW PYRAMID CASTING.
« Reply #277 on: July 23, 2009, 08:52:32 PM »
[quote name=\'chad1m\' post=\'220943\' date=\'Jul 23 2009, 08:43 PM\'][quote name=\'CountdownRound\' post=\'220941\' date=\'Jul 23 2009, 08:32 PM\']Chad, truly... are you quite sure you don't want to reword that?
/Y'ain't exactly Fabio there, Mr. Rubble...[/quote]First off, are you saving photos of me? That's really creepy if you are, because that hasn't been available anywhere on the internet for the past 24 hours. Obviously, I deleted that because it's a terrible photo.

Secondly, I don't think I'm good looking, I never have and I appreciate you adding to my level of feeling self-concious and body issues. The fact that people want to put me on TV, though, helps me offset that and maybe make me think otherwise. Call me dickish (unfairly, IMO) or what have you when I never commented on anybody's looks at all, but I'm just talking about the way TV works.
[/quote]
Found the photo linked somewhere.  Somebody may be all creepy-stalkery for you, but it isn't me.  And if you're so pleased about your success in making it on game shows while (despite?) being average-looking, then why say something that would only come out of the mouth of an arrogant, image-obsessed creep?

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
NEW PYRAMID CASTING.
« Reply #278 on: July 23, 2009, 09:08:55 PM »
Back in ye olden days before email, if you wanted to be a contestant on, say, Card Sharks, you presented yourself in person to the Goodson-Todman offices and arranged to come to a contestant tryout. All comers were admitted, but from the moment you set foot in the office they knew what you looked like. They had you fill out a contestant application, took a Polaroid photo of you and attached it to a yellow 5" x 8" card with your name, address, phone number, SSN and all that stuff on it. In the case of Family Feud, all five family members stood belly to back and had their picture taken. They then had positive identification of you.

Take it from me, if the contestant coordinator knows what they're doing, they're looking for competent game players first and foremost (c.f. Jeopardy!). Appearance is secondary, particularly if they're going for a panoply of types. The few times I watched Donnymid I don't recall seeing many contestants over the age of forty.

Back in ye olden days before email, if you wanted to be a contestant on, say, Card Sharks, you presented yourself in person to the Goodson-Todman offices and arranged to come to a contestant tryout. All comers were admitted, but from the moment you set foot in the office they knew what you looked like. They had you fill out a contestant application, took a Polaroid photo of you and attached it to a yellow 5" x 8" card with your name, address, phone number, SSN and all that stuff on it. In the case of Family Feud, all five family members stood belly to back and had their picture taken. They then had positive identification of you.

Take it from me, if the contestant coordinator knows what they're doing, they're looking for competent game players first and foremost (c.f. Jeopardy!). Appearance is secondary, particularly if they're going for a panoply of types. The few times I watched Donnymid I don't recall seeing many contestants over the age of forty.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
NEW PYRAMID CASTING.
« Reply #279 on: July 23, 2009, 09:09:01 PM »
[quote name=\'chad1m\' post=\'220933\' date=\'Jul 23 2009, 04:34 PM\']I'm not directing this toward you or anyone else, but it's simple: I (along with the casting agent and others, I assume) really don't want to watch ugly people on television. If they can see before you even start that you're not good looking enough to be on TV, that's less hearts to break. Yeah, it sucks, but them's the breaks. It's the way the biz works. Whether it's for good or for bad or fair or unfair is one's opinion. In 2009, being a game show contestant is just like being cast for any TV show or movie - if you don't fit what they're looking for, they won't accept you.[/quote]First, it's their company. If they want to conduct themselves in that way, it's between them and God, as far as I care.

I am so tired of watching "the good looking people" winning piles of cash on game shows that require you to be able to say numbers aloud, and the like. I would much rather see "average" looking people play a game well, than "good looking" people play a game poorly.

(And I think just about anyone can be cleaned up to move from "ugly" to "average" with the right tools.)
Travis L. Eberle

chad1m

NEW PYRAMID CASTING.
« Reply #280 on: July 23, 2009, 09:23:15 PM »
Alright. I apologize for any lack of tact or sensitivity I may have exercised in my post. I don't regret or retract the essence or the point of my statement because I feel it's accurate regarding the television industry, but I regret not forming my words in a way that would not be viewed as offensive or rude to most. I hope anyone who feels slighted or looks negatively upon me and/or my words will accept my apology and join me in moving on to discussing other aspects of these wonderful new prospects.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
NEW PYRAMID CASTING.
« Reply #281 on: July 23, 2009, 09:27:49 PM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'220954\' date=\'Jul 23 2009, 08:09 PM\'](And I think just about anyone can be cleaned up to move from "ugly" to "average" with the right tools.)[/quote]
See Boyle, Susan.

/Well, maybe not, but she can sing.
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

comicus

NEW PYRAMID CASTING.
« Reply #282 on: July 23, 2009, 09:57:49 PM »
[quote name=\'chad1m\' post=\'220957\' date=\'Jul 23 2009, 09:23 PM\']Alright. I apologize for any lack of tact or sensitivity I may have exercised in my post. I don't regret or retract the essence or the point of my statement because I feel it's accurate regarding the television industry, but I regret not forming my words in a way that would not be viewed as offensive or rude to most. I hope anyone who feels slighted or looks negatively upon me and/or my words will accept my apology and join me in moving on to discussing other aspects of these wonderful new prospects.[/quote]
Good enough for me.

CarShark

NEW PYRAMID CASTING.
« Reply #283 on: July 23, 2009, 10:59:48 PM »
As for the picture requirement, I can definitely see the want for diversity being part of that. But from the episodes of 80s Pyramid I've seen, it's seems that the contestants there are often pretty young. Is it just the nature of fairly fast-paced game?

Tony Peters

• Here is your first subject. GO!
NEW PYRAMID CASTING.
« Reply #284 on: July 24, 2009, 09:20:12 AM »
In any event, I'll most likely wait until next summer to apply, because (1) I'm still in the 18-month wait for Jeopardy!, and (2) I want to see if The $1,000,000 Pyramid becomes a hit show with the potential for a long run.
Sometimes I find myself missing the days when cats ruled the internet...