Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Let's Make A Deal Pilot in the Works for CBS  (Read 24024 times)

itiparanoid13

Let's Make A Deal Pilot in the Works for CBS
« on: May 04, 2009, 12:28:00 PM »
Got some really good information this weekend.  Fremantle officially got the rights to Let's Make A Deal in early 2009.  Since then they've been working on getting it back on TV around the world (a pilot shot in Australia recently).  I found out Saturday morning that CBS is looking at LMAD for the afternoon slot left vacant by Guiding Light.  Hosts are being brought in this week to do trials.  A pilot is going to be shot in Australia once it's all sorted out as well.

So Pyramid and Let's Make A Deal both up for that afternoon slot.  Not bad, eh?

calliaume

« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2009, 12:51:16 PM »
This is good news.  Let's Make a Deal works quite well as an hour-long program without drastic changes, an added bonus.

I find it interesting that it looks like a game show will occupy the 3 PM time slot, only the second time a network game has aired in that time period in 30 years.  I am of the opinion that this is an excellent time to air a game show (the kids are home and college students are out of class).  In the mid- to late-1960s, when CBS and NBC counterprogrammed each other in daytime (if one had a game on, the other had a soap, and vice versa; reruns were also used to counterprogram), the afternoon games were the ones that got the highest ratings.  When did this change and why is it changing back?

Casey Buck

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2009, 12:58:11 PM »
If this is done more like the Game Show Marathon version, and less like the Billy Bush version or Big Deal, this could be pretty awesome.

And if this is paired with a half-hour Pyramid revival, we'd have a pretty neat two hour daytime game show block.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2009, 12:59:09 PM by Casey Buck »

Neumms

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2009, 01:02:54 PM »
[quote name=\'calliaume\' post=\'214872\' date=\'May 4 2009, 11:51 AM\']
In the mid- to late-1960s, when CBS and NBC counterprogrammed each other in daytime (if one had a game on, the other had a soap, and vice versa; reruns were also used to counterprogram), the afternoon games were the ones that got the highest ratings.  When did this change and why is it changing back?
[/quote]

Don't question. Just be happy if it works out!

I wonder if a new LMAD would have the same reliance on games involving pricing grocery items, given the game program currently airing on CBS.

And boy, it'd be great if Mark Summers, Todd Newton, Chuck Woolery or Wink Martindale hosted! (Just thought I'd get that out of the way.)

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2009, 01:07:23 PM »
[quote name=\'calliaume\' post=\'214872\' date=\'May 4 2009, 12:51 PM\']I find it interesting that it looks like a game show will occupy the 3 PM time slot[/quote]
Not where I live.

I, too, question the effectiveness of having LMAD and TPiR placed so close to each other.  Maybe they'll move The Insider to daytime or something and have LMAD in the 7:30 slot.
This signature is currently under construction.

jimlangefan

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2009, 01:19:08 PM »
FINALLY I CAN BREATHE, lol.  I have known about LMAD being in the works for quite sometime.  When Monty did his radio interview a few months ago, CBS was the network who was interested.  To my knowledge the show will not be an hour.  To clarify something, Fremantle has owned LMAD since 2007.  In fact their two year contract was almost up, but they renewed last minute when CBS was interested in the revival.  From what I was told, CBS is looking at Pyramid and LMAD to fill Guiding Light's spot.  Now there is one other secret I cannot tell, and that is regarding the host. HOPEFULLY, they may not have to audition too many of them....
« Last Edit: May 04, 2009, 01:20:11 PM by jimlangefan »
TV's Big Dealer

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2009, 01:25:09 PM »
If I were running CBS (and I'm not), I'd make LMAD a 45 minute show and expand TPIR to 75 minutes, thus forcing the affils to clear both shows in pattern.  You really wouldn't have to add anything to TPIR except commercials.

As far as host, maybe Joe Rogan, who seems to be able to build up tension and has appeal to the ladies.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2009, 01:27:20 PM by Jimmy Owen »
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

itiparanoid13

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2009, 01:25:21 PM »
Yeah, I know one of the potential hosts is going at it today.  Wishing him all the luck in the world.

They've got some good hosts lined up for us.  Some definite fan favorites.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2009, 01:26:36 PM by itiparanoid13 »

calliaume

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2009, 01:40:52 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'214878\' date=\'May 4 2009, 12:25 PM\']
If I were running CBS (and I'm not), I'd make LMAD a 45 minute show and expand TPIR to 75 minutes, thus forcing the affils to clear both shows in pattern.  You really wouldn't have to add anything to TPIR except commercials.
[/quote]
This is actually a pretty good idea.  Extra plugs, extra time on both shows for bits of business (which has been sorely lacking on TPIR), and less of a tune-out factor.  Not sure the affiliates would be happy, though.

chad1m

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2009, 01:52:44 PM »
All I've got to say is yippee! Pyramid/Deal would be pretty swell. But, here's a thought. The local CBS affil, WNEM was notorious for being a station that hadn't carried Guiding Light for over ten years. Not until they created their MyNetwork offshoot did they begin to air the program, which makes me wonder: If/when this comes to fruition, will WNEM air the game show block as scheduled by CBS, or will it be relegated to My?
« Last Edit: May 04, 2009, 01:53:00 PM by chad1m »

tpirfan28

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2009, 02:08:46 PM »
I don't know what to say.  A Pyramid/LMAD block would be flippin' sweet.  LMAD seems like a format that is well-suited for any timeslot length, since the format can be made pretty flexible.

Has there been any other indications of what CBS might do in that slot besides game shows?  It just seems weird that Pyramid and LMAD are essentially the only ones talked about.
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

colonial

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2009, 02:09:21 PM »
[quote name=\'chad1m\' post=\'214884\' date=\'May 4 2009, 01:52 PM\']
All I've got to say is yippee! Pyramid/Deal would be pretty swell. But, here's a thought. The local CBS affil, WNEM was notorious for being a station that hadn't carried Guiding Light for over ten years. Not until they created their MyNetwork offshoot did they begin to air the program, which makes me wonder: If/when this comes to fruition, will WNEM air the game show block as scheduled by CBS, or will it be relegated to My?
[/quote]

It pretty much depends on the affiliate (or the station's owner) whether it wants to air whatever CBS chooses to replace GL.  Unlike the prime time shows and, apparently, The Early Show, the affiliates have the option of airing the CBS daytime shows wherever they want, or not at all.

Looking at what WNEM currently airs at the likely time slots for the GL replacement, it all depends on what WNEM chooses to replace "Tyra" at 10a -- Banks moves to the 3-5p MyNet bloc this fall.  

Is the proposed LMAD pilot being considered for a 30-minute or 60-minute show?  When the "Pyramid" proposal was announced, it was suggested Pyramid would be tooled as a 60-minute program, so I'm curious if CBS would be looking at 60-minute LMAD or a LMAD/Pyramid block.

James

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2009, 02:11:03 PM »
[quote name=\'calliaume\' post=\'214883\' date=\'May 4 2009, 12:40 PM\']
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'214878\' date=\'May 4 2009, 12:25 PM\']
[/quote]
This is actually a pretty good idea.  Extra plugs, extra time on both shows for bits of business (which has been sorely lacking on TPIR), and less of a tune-out factor.  Not sure the affiliates would be happy, though.
[/quote]

Then, Price can stop playing friggin Freeze Frame every day, and play more games that take longer to play. Never been a fan of the minute long game.

BTW, Don't a lot of British shows air in 15 minute multiples, rather than just 30 minutes?
« Last Edit: May 04, 2009, 02:12:38 PM by rollercoaster87 »
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

colonial

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2009, 02:19:19 PM »
[quote name=\'tpirfan28\' post=\'214886\' date=\'May 4 2009, 02:08 PM\']
I don't know what to say.  A Pyramid/LMAD block would be flippin' sweet.  LMAD seems like a format that is well-suited for any timeslot length, since the format can be made pretty flexible.

Has there been any other indications of what CBS might do in that slot besides game shows?  It just seems weird that Pyramid and LMAD are essentially the only ones talked about.
[/quote]

TVNewser reported a few weeks ago that there was talk about expanding The Early Show to 3 hours, but the report sounded more gossip than hard fact.  It was noted in a previous post that Early Show's ratings aren't that great, and there is doubt CBS could justify making the show a 3-hour affair.

A talk show is also said to be under consideration, but nothing has been said about possible hosts or formats (there were several hosts under consideration for fall 2009 syndication whose shows never got past pilot or pre-pilot stage -- TD Jakes, Marissa Jaret Winokur, Paula Deen, Valerie Bertinelli and Paula Deen come to mind).

There has been no talk of expanding or picking up a soap opera to fill the slot.

CBS could also decide to give the slot back to the affiliates, but The Eye has yet to suggest this.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2009, 02:56:49 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'214878\' date=\'May 4 2009, 10:25 AM\']
As far as host, maybe Joe Rogan, who seems to be able to build up tension and has appeal to the ladies.[/quote]
And who, last time I saw him doing UFC coverage, now looks like Billy Mays. (Who wouldn't be a bad LMaD host, actually. Certainly no Vince Shlomi, though.)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe