Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Game Show Memorabilia  (Read 11456 times)

MikeK

• Martha!
Game Show Memorabilia
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2009, 09:46:44 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'214653\' date=\'May 1 2009, 08:51 PM\']
[quote name=\'MikeK\' post=\'214548\' date=\'Apr 30 2009, 04:07 PM\']
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'214543\' date=\'Apr 30 2009, 06:18 PM\']From the information on those cards, did the first contestant bid or pass on their showcase?[/quote]
The top winner bid on SC1.[/quote]
No fair looking up the recap. I said from the information on the cards (or more precisely, in the picture). Now explain to the class how you could tell that without looking up the recap.
[/quote]
The word "down" on SCII's envelope means that the person downstage is bidding on that showcase?  It's a guess since I didn't take theater in school.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 09:47:19 PM by MikeK »

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Game Show Memorabilia
« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2009, 09:50:18 PM »
More information, please.

MikeK

• Martha!
Game Show Memorabilia
« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2009, 09:58:49 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'214666\' date=\'May 1 2009, 09:50 PM\']More information, please.[/quote]
Can I defer to someone "In the Biz"?

Hi Chris.  You're in the biz.  Can you help out a friend in need? :-)

Kevin Prather

Game Show Memorabilia
« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2009, 10:36:20 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'214666\' date=\'May 1 2009, 06:50 PM\']
More information, please.
[/quote]
Will you accept "Who the hell would pass on a $31,000 showcase with a boat?"? :)

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Game Show Memorabilia
« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2009, 11:53:16 PM »
"Downstage" means toward the audience. SC #1 was shown and offered to the upstage contestant (the one they go to first, the one closer to the emcee). The upstage contestant decided to bid, leaving SC #2 for the downstage contestant (closer to the audience); thus, SC #2 is marked "down".

Here is a video with circular definitions of "upstage" and "downstage":

http://www.videojug.com/expertanswer/theat...e-and-downstage

Rich Fields will now explain to you many other nuances of the production of the show.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 11:55:43 PM by chris319 »

ClockGameJohn

Game Show Memorabilia
« Reply #35 on: May 02, 2009, 12:04:39 AM »
The true bonus will be awarded when Chris can tell us what it means then when Kathy would say "Down and out" when the cards were presented to Bob.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Game Show Memorabilia
« Reply #36 on: May 02, 2009, 12:40:12 AM »
In the context of the showcases? That cannot be deduced with logic, so I'll guess double overbid.

Now what's the true bonus?
« Last Edit: May 02, 2009, 12:40:36 AM by chris319 »

chad1m

Game Show Memorabilia
« Reply #37 on: May 02, 2009, 12:50:58 AM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'214680\' date=\'May 2 2009, 12:40 AM\']Now what's the true bonus?[/quote]That we're all being enlightened with this information.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Game Show Memorabilia
« Reply #38 on: May 02, 2009, 05:55:19 AM »
[quote name=\'Kevin Prather\' post=\'214671\' date=\'May 1 2009, 07:36 PM\']
Will you accept "Who the hell would pass on a $31,000 showcase with a boat?"? :)
[/quote]
Someone who lives in Kansas.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

tvrandywest

Game Show Memorabilia
« Reply #39 on: May 02, 2009, 07:01:40 AM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'214675\' date=\'May 1 2009, 08:53 PM\']
Here is a video with circular definitions of "upstage" and "downstage":
http://www.videojug.com/expertanswer/theat...e-and-downstage
[/quote]
It's all most easily remembered by understanding the derivation of the terms.

In ancient times (centuries before TV City was built and decades before Barker was born) when plays were presented outdoors without complex bleachers or raked seating, the only way everyone in the audience could see all of the action was to build the raised stage sloping towards the audience. Actors furthest from the audience were up higher on the incline than the performers closer to the audience.  So when an actor walked "upstage", he walked uphill, up the inclined stage (without turning his back to the audience - tricky). An actor walking "downstage" moved downhill, down the ramped stage towards the audience. Furniture and set pieces occasionally needed to be attached to the stage to keep from sliding downstage towards the audience.

Production of "Starlight Express" would have been very difficult   ;-)

Next lesson: Early TV, when the cameras were powered by coal.  ;-P

Randy
tvrandywest.com
« Last Edit: May 02, 2009, 07:10:54 AM by tvrandywest »
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Game Show Memorabilia
« Reply #40 on: May 02, 2009, 08:08:52 AM »
I understand that when Barker started in radio, they had trouble doing shows because they hadn't yet invented time.

Those coal-powered TV cameras didn't make very good pictures. They could only do black-and-black.

ObGameShows: TPIR still uses inclined ramps to display prizes.

Now I must explain this to our newcomer, pentellit. See, whenever we have a post which contains no game show references, it is customary (but strictly optional) to include an Obligatory Game Show reference which starts out with "ObGameShows". It's just a silly thing which has evolved over the years. Pentellit, do you know anyone who can vouch for TPIR prize displays being ramped and how difficult it is to walk upstage on them? :-)
« Last Edit: May 02, 2009, 08:49:50 AM by chris319 »

pentellit

Game Show Memorabilia
« Reply #41 on: May 02, 2009, 07:25:59 PM »
^^^Okay, Here's what I found out;  Yes the ramps on Price are elevated "upstage".  They are usually covered in carpet, or in the case of kitchen appliances it's linoleum.  The challenge for the models is not walking upstage, it's walking downstage, while smiling into the camera, and not tripping over the wires that bolt the prizes to the floor (so they don't slide down the ramp!)

BTW a bigger challenge for the models navigating these prize platforms is the roll-aways that are suddenly yanked offstage to reveal a bigger prize behind it.  Hang on!!!

Someone also asked if my friend Linda had worked with Johnny Olson.  Linda answered "no" but she wished she had because everyone reminisced so fondly about him.  She was however very, very close to Rod, loved him dearly, and was with him through his final days.

I don't know if Barbara Hunter and Bob Welsh are still married.

Lastly but definitely not leastly, you guys are seriously funny!  The line about coal powered cameras and time not having been invented when Barker was on radio and people in Kansas and all the rest!  I am still LOL!

Winkfan

Game Show Memorabilia
« Reply #42 on: May 02, 2009, 09:16:25 PM »
I may have mentioned this already, but my list includes:

Autographed photos of the Winkster, Jim Perry, Peter Tomarken, Bert Convy, and Jeff MacGregor.
Autographs from Michael Burger and John O'Hurley when I attended tapings of their shows.
Tickets from Press Your Luck and Card Sharks (1986-89 version)
And I don't know if this counts, but I have three of Wink's singles from when he was a teen idol, and I have airchecks from Wink's "Music of Your Life" show from 2003; as well as airchecks from Peter Marshall's MOYL show.

Cordially,
Tammy
"I've never stopped. I've never changed. I never did anything else."
- The Real Don Steele (1936-1997)

GiraffeBoy

• "He can solve puzzles, that's for sure."-Pat Sajak
Game Show Memorabilia
« Reply #43 on: May 05, 2009, 12:06:16 AM »
Aside from the "Play It!" stuff (previously posted), I've got two WWTBAM mugs, Phone Jeopardy! watch and frame (with an old picture of Alex Trebek) and a Russian Roulette t-shirt.

--Charlie
"B, 2 hours, 52 minutes, 59 seconds...final answer?"
WWTBAM Play It! DCA Million Point Winner #42 - Stick your neck out with pride!

ChuckNet

Game Show Memorabilia
« Reply #44 on: May 05, 2009, 01:01:45 AM »
Other stuff I just remembered:

- Mugs from TPiR, LMaD, WL, and WWtBaM
- Limited-edition J! and WoF watches
- A TPiR pencil and pen
- A WoF ornament commemorating the show's 20th anniv.
- WoF pen I got from a cattle call in Atlantic City
- WWtBaM magnets and pencils I got from my countless auditions
- Mini-Playbills from J!'s 2002/2006 and WoF's 2003/2007 visits to Radio City
- Fan-made photo collage of Bob Barker (which includes a TPiR logo, his Walk of Fame star, and his 1984 TV Guide cover w/fellow emcees)
- A Chuck Woolery bobblehead
- An extensive collection of GS T-shirts that anyone who's attended a GSC between 02-05 has seen part of (since, for those of you unfamiliar, I wore a different one every day of each convention...LOL)

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")