Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Would an hour long weekly version be better?  (Read 4046 times)

wdm1219inpenna

Would an hour long weekly version be better?
« on: March 22, 2009, 05:58:56 PM »
Since the daytime budget seems to be in "disaster" mode, and since virtually nobody seems to be watching daytime game shows anymore, as evidenced by their practical extinction, why not have a once a week Price is Right hour long episode and call it "Price is Right Primetime" instead?  Nicer cars could be offered, perhaps more time alloted to the show so better games could be played, actual sponsors and quality plugs for the small prize and grocery item games again, etc.  I'd put it on once a week at 8pm EST.  7pmEST would put it up against the likes of Wheel of Fortune & Jeopardy, so I think that would be a mistake.  Have Price is Right for primetime, once a week only, two halves still, showcase showdown rules same as the MDS, $5,000 for the dollar, $25,000 for a bonus spin green wedge, $50,000 bonus spin for the $1.00.  More fabulous showcases again, and since it's higher stakes, allow a $500 range to win both showcases.  I know I'd watch.  About the only sitcom or primetime show I bother watching right now is "Big Bang Theory".

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2009, 06:34:34 PM »
I think the only reason the budget seems a "disaster" is in the proliferation of unsponsored prizes. Almost every trip now has something added to it on top of hotel and airfare, and a lot of the time, it's not sponsored. Some of the new-to-the-show trip locations are entirely unsponsored. The big culprit seems to be the daily appearance (sometimes more than once in a show) of the infamous designer items. Coupled with the "cool" prizes added to the rotation in a similar vain (Dre Headphones, $6,000 Toilet, various small prizes, etc.) and you're looking at a lot of merchandise going out at cost.

Are you suggesting a nighttime version INSTEAD of a daytime version? Because the daytime version is still profitable despite the drop in ratings, as far as I know. I personally wouldn't mind some form of nighttime show, however. Once a week isn't bad, but preferably, just keep doing Millionaire-in-99-esque weeks-long shifts of specials as CBS needs them.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

gsgalaxy82

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2009, 06:45:21 PM »
I'll keep this short: no.

Casey Buck

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2009, 06:48:46 PM »
Believe it or not, I've been thinking of just this idea recently. This once-a-week primetime show would replace the daytime version entirely. It just might work, but I would be pretty sad to see the last vestige of the network daytime game show era go away.

I'd just call it "The Price is Right", no gimmicks or special names needed. The prizes would be in between the current daytime version and the Million Dollar Spectaculars. One Bids would be worth $1,000 to $4,000, cars would be worth $20,000 to $50,000 (with the occasional $100K car on Golden Road), the various cash bonuses would be increased a bit, and the Showcases would be worth $25,000 to $70,000.

Even with the increased prize values, the overall prize budget would be substantially less as a once-a-week show, compared to a five-day-a-week show. Also, there are fewer commercials in primetime than in daytime, so the show wouldn't be as rushed as it is now. But there is a bit of a problem: you'd have to eliminate quite a few pricing games in order to prevent some games from showing up only once or twice a year, and I'd hate for that to happen.

The only night that might work for this is Saturday, where there's very little competition.

Is this an idea that I should have kept to myself?
« Last Edit: March 22, 2009, 06:56:05 PM by Casey Buck »

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2009, 07:00:32 PM »
[quote name=\'wdm1219inpenna\' post=\'210981\' date=\'Mar 22 2009, 02:58 PM\']Since the daytime budget seems to be in "disaster" mode, [/quote] I see no evidence that this is the case.

and since virtually nobody seems to be watching daytime game shows anymore, as evidenced by their practical extinction,
"virtually nobody" (your words, not mine) is watching daytime game shows anymore is because They Don't Exist. I don't know what Family Feud and TP:AP are getting, but my guess is that Price is scoring higher numbers. And the daytime games don't exist because there's just no place for them on the schedule. It's not because TPIR has had a drop in quality (whether you believe that to be the case or not)

so better games could be played,
What are the "worse games being played"?

actual sponsors and quality plugs
I don't think this is going to change if you paint the floor back, put squares on the doors and hang bunting from the ceilings. Either the sponsors are there, or they aren't. The mid-road answer is that the show wants more money than the sponsors are willing to pay.

The only thing I can think of that would be improved is the length of time allowed per episode, but that was true of the Spectacular episodes, so that's a wash. I'd like to see the Nighttime Price is Right myself. I think it could easily be plugged in where a drama or sitcom fails. But I wouldn't do it at the expense of the daily program.
Travis L. Eberle

TheInquisitiveOne

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2009, 07:18:00 PM »
[quote name=\'Casey Buck\' post=\'210985\' date=\'Mar 22 2009, 05:48 PM\']Is this an idea that I should have kept to myself?[/quote]

Not necessarily...what you said is a good idea for a nighttime show: more elaborate prizes, a slicker set, and airing once a week. I also agree that it should simply be called "The Price is Right," not "TPIR Salutes the Barker Fanb0iz" or "The Easiest Million Dollars on Television." Just keep it a simple hour of fun standard fare.

My minor gripe comes with the idea of REPLACING the nighttime show with the daytime show. The Daytime Edition is still a hit with fans, ratings be damned.

Speaking of so, there is no one reason why the show has dropped in recent years. Yes, Barker was still an attraction, but the dynamic of TV has changed. This is not the fault of Drew Carey, the producers, the new set elements, or the writers. Re-introducing TPIR to a nighttime audience would be a nice concept; just keep it simple.

The Inquisitive One
This is the Way.

tvwxman

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2009, 07:53:02 PM »
I'll make my reply quick, since I'm pretty sure I've stated it before:

For Drew's salary, CBS's desire for crosspromotion, a lack of alternative programming and an overall desire by all parties to make maximum profit with little investment.....  I simply cannot believe that this has not been done yet.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

TheLastResort

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2009, 08:46:45 PM »
[quote name=\'JasonA1\' post=\'210983\' date=\'Mar 22 2009, 05:34 PM\'] ...Dre Headphones, $6,000 Toilet, various small prizes, etc... [/quote]

Personally, I wouldn't mind having a $6,000 toilet.  Where can I order one??

CarShark

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2009, 09:06:41 PM »
[quote name=\'JasonA1\' post=\'210983\' date=\'Mar 22 2009, 06:34 PM\']Almost every trip now has something added to it on top of hotel and airfare, and a lot of the time, it's not sponsored. Some of the new-to-the-show trip locations are entirely unsponsored.[/quote]Not only that, but frequently with trips the airfare AND hotel isn't sponsored, which makes for an awkwardly quick plug. That's been happening since before Barker left.

The big culprit seems to be the daily appearance (sometimes more than once in a show) of the infamous designer items. Coupled with the "cool" prizes added to the rotation in a similar vain (Dre Headphones, $6,000 Toilet, various small prizes, etc.) and you're looking at a lot of merchandise going out at cost.
Waitasec. I do remember that the toilet was sponsored by Toto. The whole bathroom was. And there is no way that toilet itself was six grand. I thought the headphones were plugged, as well. As for the SPs, they've taken care of that in part by not playing the non-car non-cash SP games that often.

[quote name=\'Casey Buck\' post=\'210985\' date=\'Mar 22 2009, 06:48 PM\']The only night that might work for this is Saturday, where there's very little competition.[/quote]It was winning on Friday nights, as I remember. It faltered on Wednesdays against DOND and Idol, though.

[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'210987\' date=\'Mar 22 2009, 07:00 PM\']
[quote name=\'wdm1219inpenna\' post=\'210981\' date=\'Mar 22 2009, 02:58 PM\']Since the daytime budget seems to be in "disaster" mode, [/quote] I see no evidence that this is the case.[/quote]I don't know about "disaster", but as far as I've seen it's standard budget mode outside of the designer/cool stuff. Fewer cars are offered, especially in the Showcases. The cars and cash are won less frequently. Nothing too special.

My guess would be he's talking about quick games like Double Prices, Pick-A-Number, Money Game and That's TOO Much!.

TroubadourNando

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2009, 09:26:50 PM »
[quote name=\'CarShark\' post=\'210997\' date=\'Mar 22 2009, 09:06 PM\']
My guess would be he's talking about quick games like Double Prices, Pick-A-Number, Money Game and That's TOO Much!.
[/quote]

Freeze Frame has also seen a dramatic increase in playings recently.

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2009, 09:35:02 PM »
When I saw the headphones, they were named by brand and everything, but without an on-screen logo, it was not a sponsored prize. Another example of how the current regime doesn't get the idea of the business model - you don't give out the plug if it's not paid for! Granted, it makes it near impossible to bid on the designer stuff when instead of saying "Gucci bag" you say "this designer handbag is a great addition to your wardrobe." Know the solution? Don't use the unsponsored designer stuff! Don't give the brand unless it's paid for!

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

CarShark

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2009, 10:50:16 PM »
[quote name=\'JasonA1\' post=\'211001\' date=\'Mar 22 2009, 09:35 PM\']
When I saw the headphones, they were named by brand and everything, but without an on-screen logo, it was not a sponsored prize. Another example of how the current regime doesn't get the idea of the business model - you don't give out the plug if it's not paid for! Granted, it makes it near impossible to bid on the designer stuff when instead of saying "Gucci bag" you say "this designer handbag is a great addition to your wardrobe." Know the solution? Don't use the unsponsored designer stuff! Don't give the brand unless it's paid for!

-Jason
[/quote]Well, they're in a bind. They obviously want to offer the designer prizes to attract young females, but there's no way they're going to get the designer companies to pay for placement on a show that play at a time when their customers are (presumably, even in the downturn) at work. So they either TPIR doesn't get the designer stuff and continues to struggle with the demo, or they take a chance and buy the swag themselves and eat the cost. After doing that, there's no point in not mentioning the name, because the name holds all the appeal.

What I don't understand is 1) the high frequency and 2) the way they go about it. Sometimes they give each designer name it's own spot, which is fine by me. But other times (especially when they started) they just throw them all in together as one IUFB or prize in a multi-prize game. Now, when it was a fashion package for Bullseye, it made more sense. But if you have $1200 worth of Jimmy Choo shoes, $1000 from Vera Wang, and $1500 from Dani Black, why not use them separately and mention three names at three times instead three names at one time? Sure, you get the shock value of Drew saying they're worth "THREE THOUSAND seven hundred dollars", but you could have put a couple pairs in a game, which might be lost. Then you could keep mentioning the name until someone wins it.

rugrats1

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2009, 12:14:15 AM »
[quote name=\'TheLastResort\' post=\'210995\' date=\'Mar 22 2009, 07:46 PM\']
[/quote]

The Pentagon. Or you can just get the seat for $600.

(Couldn't resist.)
« Last Edit: March 23, 2009, 12:14:52 AM by rugrats1 »

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2009, 01:06:58 AM »
[quote name=\'rugrats1\' post=\'211007\' date=\'Mar 22 2009, 11:14 PM\']
[quote name=\'TheLastResort\' post=\'210995\' date=\'Mar 22 2009, 07:46 PM\']
[/quote]

The Pentagon. Or you can just get the seat for $600.

(Couldn't resist.)
[/quote]

Knows where you can get a hammer for $20,000
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2009, 01:54:38 AM »
[quote name=\'CarShark\' post=\'210997\' date=\'Mar 22 2009, 09:06 PM\']And there is no way that toilet itself was six grand.[/quote]
I can confirm that yes, it was.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2009, 01:55:56 AM by Steve Gavazzi »