Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Who do you think could replace Barker?  (Read 11010 times)

zachhoran

Who do you think could replace Barker?
« Reply #45 on: October 26, 2003, 09:38:43 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Oct 26 2003, 08:31 PM\']
The hope that another show would bomb out and the station would bring the show out of overnight hell and let it shine in the new time slot.  Usually didn't work.

[/quote]
 One exception(though another station came to the rescue in this case): WNBC in New York did air the first few months of Trebek's J! at 1:30AM, only to have WABC pick it up by December 1984 and place it at 4PM(replacing the cancelled Edge of Night)

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #46 on: October 26, 2003, 10:36:44 PM »
[quote name=\'Fedya\' date=\'Oct 26 2003, 09:08 PM\'] Zach Horan wrote:
SYndicated game shows with a late night time slot in NYC(TPIR Kennedy ,Crosswits 1986, Strike it Rich 1986, Wipeout, New Liars' Club, Relatively Speaking, TTD90, TJW90, etc.) virtually never make it past that season. Anyone recall any such shows that did? I certainly can't.

Street Smarts?

It's currently on at 4AM on WPIX-11, and I haven't seen it in the DirecTV on-screen guide at any reasonable time over the past two years that I've had DirecTV. [/quote]
I'm pretty sure WGN is carrying STREET SMARTS over the bird as well (with episodes airing in the early afternoon as well as very late at night).  Those of us in Chicago metro only get the one airing at 12:30 AM CT.  Granted, it's not NY, but there are some NY viewers who can get WGN via DirecTV/satellite (and even one or two who can get it via cable).

Meanwhile, as long as I'm already here. . .

Getting back to the Billy West discussion, is this the same Billy West who is a pretty reknown cartoon voice?

Doug -- soon to celebrate 200 posts
« Last Edit: October 26, 2003, 10:37:18 PM by SRIV94 »
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #47 on: October 26, 2003, 10:52:55 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Oct 26 2003, 08:14 PM\']
I think Barker not being there(and to a lesser degree, Johnny Olson passing away during the show's run) had a bit to do with the show's failure. Also, the show had less-than-great time slots, either against WOF or the then-growing J! in some cities, and in NYC had the wonderful time slot of 2:30AM on WNBC. SYndicated game shows with a late night time slot in NYC(TPIR Kennedy ,Crosswits 1986, Strike it Rich 1986, Wipeout, New Liars' Club, Relatively Speaking, TTD90, TJW90, etc.) virtually never make it past that season. Anyone recall any such shows that did? I certainly can't. [/quote]
 "Win, Lose or Draw" is the only one I can think of.  IIRC, WCBS showed a couple of eps on Friday night/Sat morn and three in a row on Sat/Sun around 2 or 3am.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

ChuckNet

« Reply #48 on: October 26, 2003, 11:55:17 PM »
Street Smarts?

It's currently on at 4AM on WPIX-11, and I haven't seen it in the DirecTV on-screen guide at any reasonable time over the past two years that I've had DirecTV.

It actually first aired in NY at midnight, then was moved back to 1 AM by mid-season, then 2 AM, and so on.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

Robert Hutchinson

« Reply #49 on: October 27, 2003, 02:12:09 AM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' date=\'Oct 26 2003, 10:36 PM\'] Getting back to the Billy West discussion, is this the same Billy West who is a pretty reknown cartoon voice? [/quote]
 Yes.
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

tommycharles

« Reply #50 on: October 27, 2003, 10:47:49 AM »
[quote name=\'Robert Hutchinson\' date=\'Oct 27 2003, 02:12 AM\'] [quote name=\'SRIV94\' date=\'Oct 26 2003, 10:36 PM\'] Getting back to the Billy West discussion, is this the same Billy West who is a pretty reknown cartoon voice? [/quote]
Yes. [/quote]
 Wasn't he "Fry" on Futurama?

GS Warehouse

« Reply #51 on: October 27, 2003, 12:21:48 PM »
[quote name=\'Robert Hutchinson\' date=\'Oct 27 2003, 02:12 AM\'] [quote name=\'SRIV94\' date=\'Oct 26 2003, 10:36 PM\'] Getting back to the Billy West discussion, is this the same Billy West who is a pretty reknown cartoon voice? [/quote]
Yes. [/quote]
 Hmm, if anybody has an idea for a future cartoon based gs, why take take Cyber Lucy one step farther and have a cartoon host-and-announcer tandem, voiced by Billy West and Neil Ross?  Or have I just made a reservation for the I'm a Celebrity, Get Me Out of Here! room?

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #52 on: October 27, 2003, 12:32:09 PM »
[quote name=\'tommycharles\' date=\'Oct 27 2003, 08:47 AM\'] Wasn't he "Fry" on Futurama? [/quote]
 Yeppers. He was also the voice of Stimpy (and later Ren after the controversial firing of creator John Kricfalusi), and he worked on the Howard Stern staff for a while.

Hmm, if anybody has an idea for a future cartoon based gs, why take take Cyber Lucy one step farther and have a cartoon host-and-announcer tandem, voiced by Billy West and Neil Ross? Or have I just made a reservation for the I'm a Celebrity, Get Me Out of Here! room?

If you've seen "Malcolm", you already know why that is a bad idea. ;)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

BrandonFG

« Reply #53 on: October 27, 2003, 12:41:15 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Oct 27 2003, 12:32 PM\'][quote name=\'tommycharles\' date=\'Oct 27 2003, 08:47 AM\'] Wasn't he "Fry" on Futurama? [/quote]
Yeppers. He was also the voice of Stimpy (and later Ren after the controversial firing of creator John Kricfalusi), and he worked on the Howard Stern staff for a while.
[/quote]
One more...didn't he play Doug on the Nick/ABC cartoon, or at least during the Nick years?

ObGameShow: Nick used to have "Double Dare."
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

uncamark

« Reply #54 on: October 27, 2003, 05:11:05 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Oct 27 2003, 12:41 PM\'][quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Oct 27 2003, 12:32 PM\'][quote name=\'tommycharles\' date=\'Oct 27 2003, 08:47 AM\'] Wasn't he "Fry" on Futurama? [/quote]
[/quote]
One more...didn't he play Doug on the Nick/ABC cartoon, or at least during the Nick years?[/quote]
[Emile Auturi] Yes, he did.  [EA]

ObGameShow:  Greg Lee was also a voice on "Doug."