Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: And Here's Your Host, The Star of The Newlywed Game...  (Read 15161 times)

BrandonFG

And Here's Your Host, The Star of The Newlywed Game...
« Reply #60 on: February 09, 2009, 04:38:16 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'207831\' date=\'Feb 9 2009, 03:23 AM\']
Why. Why do I click on those posts?
[/quote]
Morbid curiosity?
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

itiparanoid13

« Reply #61 on: February 12, 2009, 11:06:49 AM »
Went back again last night; much smoother and Carnie improved.  Her comedy was the same which was great, but her speed and clarity definitely improved over the week.  3 episodes taped in 4 hours, including one minor stopdown because of a really hysterical answer that made us all break down.  Very nice show.

BrandonFG

« Reply #62 on: February 12, 2009, 12:48:27 PM »
[quote name=\'itiparanoid13\' post=\'208003\' date=\'Feb 12 2009, 11:06 AM\']
3 episodes taped in 4 hours
[/quote]
That's about what...half of one Deal or No Deal episode taping?
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Don Howard

« Reply #63 on: February 12, 2009, 03:44:19 PM »
[quote name=\'itiparanoid13\' post=\'208003\' date=\'Feb 12 2009, 11:06 AM\']
3 episodes taped in 4 hours, including one minor stopdown because of a really hysterical answer that made us all break down.  
[/quote]
Was it a two-hour stopdown? There is no reason that I can see that it should've taken much longer than two hours to bang out three 30-minute programs with just one intershow stopdown. 30 minute show, 15 minute break, 30 minute show, 15 minute break, 30 minute show. There's two hours. What takes so long?
« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 03:46:24 PM by Don Howard »

Mike Tennant

« Reply #64 on: February 12, 2009, 03:57:55 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' post=\'208028\' date=\'Feb 12 2009, 03:44 PM\'][quote name=\'itiparanoid13\' post=\'208003\' date=\'Feb 12 2009, 11:06 AM\']3 episodes taped in 4 hours, including one minor stopdown because of a really hysterical answer that made us all break down. [/quote]Was it a two-hour stopdown? There is no reason that I can see that it should've taken much longer than two hours to bang out three 30-minute programs with just one intershow stopdown. 30 minute show, 15 minute break, 30 minute show, 15 minute break, 30 minute show. There's two hours. What takes so long?[/quote]It sounds like, as Alex mentioned earlier, they're taking the You Bet Your Life approach of taping more than is needed and then editing it down to the best parts.  Obviously it can work if it's done well.

itiparanoid13

« Reply #65 on: February 12, 2009, 04:52:39 PM »
That's basically been it.  Each main game, the first 3 acts of the show, took around 45 minutes to tape because they let Carnie have fun with the contestants.  She had ear pieces and stage managers and all of that ready to tell her to move it along, but they let her poke and prod the contestants.  Plus some of the contestants took a long time to answer to some really embarrassing answer.  When I get the OK to talk more about material I will, but there was one answer that sent everyone into hysterics for a few minutes and started a new catch phrase backstage.  It's the first time I've ever had to walk off the set I was laughing so hard.  They were good about letting Carnie riff and editing out what they don't need later.

They taped three main games in a row, then the three end games after that.  The end game is the only part of the show where the ball is dropped.  The front game is light, fun, and funny, like the classic version, and played for a second honeymoon.  The end game (which is played the same way as the main game, but with a couple from the older version.  We had a couple from the 60s last night) gets more moody with the stereotypical blue lighting, no laughing or applause, and all that stuff.  And that yesterday was played, for instance, for a Sony Cybershot digital camera and printer.  Just defeated a lot of the fun of the first 25 minutes with the far-too-serious last five minutes.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #66 on: February 12, 2009, 04:53:16 PM »
So, I guess she's not gonna be using Bob Eubanks' "hurry please" line..
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

ChrisLambert!

• Overthrow, Sister Havana
« Reply #67 on: February 13, 2009, 09:24:12 AM »
[quote name=\'itiparanoid13\' post=\'208033\' date=\'Feb 12 2009, 04:52 PM\']
 And that yesterday was played, for instance, for a Sony Cybershot digital camera and printer.  Just defeated a lot of the fun of the first 25 minutes with the far-too-serious last five minutes.
[/quote]

So the old couple is brought back to try to win a prize they probably can't operate? :)

Seriously, this does sound like an awful addition. I'm not an "I hate change PERIOD" guy, but ... seriously? Millionaire-level tension for something that could've been a consolation prize on Whammy! ?
@lambertman

Don Howard

« Reply #68 on: April 06, 2009, 08:08:26 PM »
OK, dear ones. Eppy the first has rolled. I await your comments and perspective.

BrandonFG

« Reply #69 on: April 06, 2009, 10:33:07 PM »
I actually enjoyed it, and it contained the traditional elements of past shows (an announcer, theme song, consolation prizes, etc.), so that was an extra point for me.

With the bonus game, they let the last question played out, even though the eventual champions were already out of reach score-wise. Not necessarily a turnoff, just something I noticed.

rwalker

« Reply #70 on: April 07, 2009, 12:50:23 AM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'212337\' date=\'Apr 6 2009, 10:33 PM\']
I actually enjoyed it, and it contained the traditional elements of past shows (an announcer, theme song, consolation prizes, etc.), so that was an extra point for me.

With the bonus game, they let the last question played out, even though the eventual champions were already out of reach score-wise. Not necessarily a turnoff, just something I noticed.
[/quote]

I agree, seemed pretty damn silly to even play that last one. Guess they needed to fill 2 mins though. I lost track, was the Bravia TV for winning the main game...or an extra to go with the vacation package?

dale_grass

« Reply #71 on: April 09, 2009, 09:18:37 AM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'208034\' date=\'Feb 12 2009, 04:53 PM\']
So, I guess she's not gonna be using Bob Eubanks' "hurry please" line..
[/quote]
Only if she's with Bob Eubanks.

Allstar87

« Reply #72 on: April 09, 2009, 07:20:20 PM »
[quote name=\'rwalker\' post=\'212351\' date=\'Apr 7 2009, 12:50 AM\']
...was the Bravia TV for winning the main game...or an extra to go with the vacation package?
[/quote]

Extra to go with the vacation package.

JakeT

« Reply #73 on: April 10, 2009, 07:59:27 PM »
Well, after watching a full week of this new version, I must say that I'm pleasantly surprised.  While I did my best to reserve judgment, I was just certain that no one could fill Bob Eubanks' shoes on this show.  I can now admit to myself just how wrong I was.  Although I had been a fan of Carnie Wilson in the past, she left me cringing after her "Celeb-bad-magical-poop-sorta-thing" appearances so I really did dread seeing her host.  My dread was for naught as she is just about perfect for this format and I find myself a born-again Carnie fan.  Also, I'm happy to see that the show is now just current enough while retaining so much of the fun and naughty charm of the original.  And while I'm not all that pumped over the bonus round, it doesn't affect my enjoyment of the show overall.  Bottom line is that the show has earned a season pass on my DVR and very VERY few shows on GSN get one of those.

Okay, okay...one nit-pick...what the hell is with all those different FUUUUUGLY light fixtures hanging around the set?  Damn, them is some ugly thangs!! :)

But, of course, that's just me...

JakeT

Allstar87

« Reply #74 on: April 12, 2009, 12:55:49 AM »
[quote name=\'JakeT\' post=\'212626\' date=\'Apr 10 2009, 07:59 PM\']
Okay, okay...one nit-pick...what the hell is with all those different FUUUUUGLY light fixtures hanging around the set?  Damn, them is some ugly thangs!! :)
[/quote]

They remind me of the similarly fugly lights that hung around How Much Is Enough...maybe they got an incredible deal from a lamp company. :P