Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 'Wheel' contestants potentially screwed out of trips?  (Read 3671 times)

uncamark

'Wheel' contestants potentially screwed out of trips?
« on: January 13, 2009, 05:08:46 PM »
The WalletPop blog reports a Travel Weekly article that says that after the parent of the company that became the exclusive trip supplier for the show last season went into bankruptcy, the show's prize broker has had to pay for the trips out of its own pocket to fulfill the awards to winning contestants:

http://www.walletpop.com/blog/2009/01/12/t...e-prize-spinou/

BTW, the company's "Promotional Consideration," isn't it?

brianhenke

« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2009, 10:17:04 AM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' post=\'206148\' date=\'Jan 13 2009, 05:08 PM\']
The WalletPop blog reports a Travel Weekly article that says that after the parent of the company that became the exclusive trip supplier for the show last season went into bankruptcy, the show's prize broker has had to pay for the trips out of its own pocket to fulfill the awards to winning contestants:

http://www.walletpop.com/blog/2009/01/12/t...e-prize-spinou/

BTW, the company's "Promotional Consideration," isn't it?
[/quote]

Many long time people around here  remember that two Peter Marshall-hosted shows - Yahtzee and Reel to Reel Picture Show - had problems paying contestants their prizes (in fact, Pax itself had to pay up for the RtRPS prizes after the production company filed for bankruptcy).

Brian
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 01:44:36 PM by brianhenke »
Johnny Cash sang "I Have the Wine"?

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2009, 03:21:27 PM »
[quote name=\'brianhenke\' post=\'206200\' date=\'Jan 14 2009, 10:17 AM\']
Many long time people around here  remember that two Peter Marshall-hosted shows - Yahtzee and Reel to Reel Picture Show - had problems paying contestants their prizes (in fact, Pax itself had to pay up for the RtRPS prizes after the production company filed for bankruptcy).

Brian
[/quote]

Objection, relevance to the current discussion?
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Kevin Prather

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2009, 03:22:58 PM »
Overruled. The common thread of failing to honor prizes is there. However there IS a difference between short-lived Pax game shows and Wheel of Freakin' Fortune.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 03:23:34 PM by Kevin Prather »

TimK2003

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2009, 07:24:18 PM »
Speaking of contestants (potentially) not getting their announced prizes, I remember hearing a story a looong time ago where Barry & Enright during the mid-70s Jokers Wild era had some contestants claiming they didn't get their winnings.

Has anyone heard of this story and if so, what happened???

Don Howard

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2009, 09:55:51 PM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' post=\'206248\' date=\'Jan 14 2009, 07:24 PM\']
Speaking of contestants (potentially) not getting their announced prizes, I remember hearing a story a looong time ago where Barry & Enright during the mid-70s Jokers Wild era had some contestants claiming they didn't get their winnings.
Has anyone heard of this story and if so, what happened???
[/quote]
I don't recall hearing how it was resolved but I recall a story in The Cleveland Plain Dealer in 1980 stating that Frank Dillon was suing B&E for $2,000,000 for failure to deliver on his tournament winnings from The Joker's Wild. It is unknown to me if this is the reason why Frank opted out of competing in The $1,000,000 Tournament to determine "the national champion".
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 09:56:32 PM by Don Howard »

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2009, 02:39:54 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' post=\'206259\' date=\'Jan 14 2009, 09:55 PM\']I don't recall hearing how it was resolved but I recall a story in The Cleveland Plain Dealer in 1980 stating that Frank Dillon was suing B&E for $2,000,000 for failure to deliver on his tournament winnings from The Joker's Wild.[/quote]I find this hard to believe...I don't think Jack Barry would want to risk strike two.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Don Howard

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2009, 02:42:32 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'206316\' date=\'Jan 15 2009, 02:39 PM\']
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' post=\'206259\' date=\'Jan 14 2009, 09:55 PM\']I don't recall hearing how it was resolved but I recall a story in The Cleveland Plain Dealer in 1980 stating that Frank Dillon was suing B&E for $2,000,000 for failure to deliver on his tournament winnings from The Joker's Wild.[/quote]I find this hard to believe...I don't think Jack Barry would want to risk strike two.
[/quote]
During the $100,000 tournament, Jack asked Michael Sherry [during Day One, rerun on Game Show Network most recently in the late summer of 2001] if he'd received his prizes {an odd question to ask on the air} and Mike said (paraphrasing), "I got most of them". Frank didn't come across to me as a fibber, so I tend to believe him.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 02:45:44 PM by Don Howard »

BrandonFG

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2009, 03:16:22 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' post=\'206259\' date=\'Jan 14 2009, 09:55 PM\']
I don't recall hearing how it was resolved but I recall a story in The Cleveland Plain Dealer in 1980 stating that Frank Dillon was suing B&E for $2,000,000 for failure to deliver on his tournament winnings from The Joker's Wild. It is unknown to me if this is the reason why Frank opted out of competing in The $1,000,000 Tournament to determine "the national champion".
[/quote]
Didn't hear that, but this reminds me...at the end of the B&E shows, they'd place a mention for "T.M.C. Television Marketing Consultants". Was that B&E's "dummy" company or an outside firm?

Oh, and Frank should've taken Jack Barry's job offer, then this never would've happened. (sarcasm)
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

uncamark

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2009, 04:03:41 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'206322\' date=\'Jan 15 2009, 02:16 PM\']
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' post=\'206259\' date=\'Jan 14 2009, 09:55 PM\']
[/quote]
Didn't hear that, but this reminds me...at the end of the B&E shows, they'd place a mention for "T.M.C. Television Marketing Consultants". Was that B&E's "dummy" company or an outside firm?[/quote]

Pretty sure it was an outside firm, like Promotional Consideration.  In the day I remember PIC-TV solely credited on "T or C" and Edward Finch & Co. credited on the MTV/Nick game shows.  A lot of producers only work with one prize broker (or "schlockmeister") for convenience.  Network shows, especially "TPIR" or any show that gives away mostly merchandise, work with more than one of them to guarantee a wider variety of prizes.

Which makes me wonder--are there other companies doing prize brokering (which I assume would include those fee plugs that appear on talk shows, etc.) these days other than Promotional Consideration?

bricon

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2009, 05:25:26 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' post=\'206330\' date=\'Jan 15 2009, 04:03 PM\']
Which makes me wonder--are there other companies doing prize brokering (which I assume would include those fee plugs that appear on talk shows, etc.) these days other than Promotional Consideration?
[/quote]

Yes,  PIC Media Group, formerly known as PIC-TV.