Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Millionaire Questions...  (Read 104900 times)

zachhoran

Millionaire Questions...
« Reply #60 on: February 04, 2004, 09:01:34 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Feb 4 2004, 08:58 PM\'] [quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Feb 4 2004, 04:30 PM\'] A. The Edge of Night              B. Search For Tomorrow
C. As The World Turns           D. The Guiding Light [/quote]
In addition, in a hasty taking back of my previous criticism, Edge Of Night and Search For Tomorrow weren't on CBS at the time (if they were even on the air at the time) [/quote]
Search and Edge were on CBS at that point(Search bowed in 1951 and Edge in 1956), Edge moved to ABC in 1975 and Search noved to NBC in 1982.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2004, 09:02:15 PM by zachhoran »

CarShark

Millionaire Questions...
« Reply #61 on: February 04, 2004, 09:04:33 PM »
[quote name=\'STYDfan\' date=\'Feb 4 2004, 04:50 PM\'] Geez, it sounds like writing a good question for Millionaire is hard enough, but writing a Million Dollar Question is insane.

The Carol Brady maiden name is probably one of the best I've ever seen on the show. It was one that was difficult but could be figured provided you had a few spare days to think it through.

John Carpenter's and Dan Blonsky's Question 15s seemed a bit too easy to me. Joe Trela's seemed too hard, too specialized, but that could just be me.
Bob House's and Kim Hunt's were better, as again you could figure it out with time.

Here's a question I used in a community game on the GSN boards:

---------------------------------------<$V250,000>

In 2003, which of the following video game companies trademarked the phrase, "shock and awe"?
[font=\"courier\"]
----- A. Sony ----- B. Midway -----
----- C. Atari ---- D. Square -----[/font]

I thought it was pretty good myself, as it was in the news for a while, but a piece of info that was easy to forget. [/quote]
 Now that I think about it, I probably should have written mine differently. I probably should have given four general companies, instead of video game companies. That way it wouldn't scare off anyone over 23. Maybe the choices would be:

A. Sony B. Midway
C. Ford D. Hallmark

The hard part would be to come up with three names that are familiar enough and plausible.

DrJWJustice

Millionaire Questions...
« Reply #62 on: February 04, 2004, 10:07:53 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Oct 21 2003, 06:54 PM\']
In the Presidential line of succession, which federal official is 3rd in line for the Presidency after the sitting President?

A: Secretary of State
B: Speaker of the House
C: President Pro Tempore
D: Secretary of Defense

Word of advice: Don't use Alexander Haig as a lifeline for this one. [/quote]
 Some of these kids in here are a bit young to know who Al Haig was.  :-)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Millionaire Questions...
« Reply #63 on: February 04, 2004, 10:16:36 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Feb 4 2004, 07:01 PM\'] [quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Feb 4 2004, 08:58 PM\'] [quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Feb 4 2004, 04:30 PM\'] A. The Edge of Night              B. Search For Tomorrow
C. As The World Turns           D. The Guiding Light [/quote]
In addition, in a hasty taking back of my previous criticism, Edge Of Night and Search For Tomorrow weren't on CBS at the time (if they were even on the air at the time) [/quote]
Search and Edge were on CBS at that point(Search bowed in 1951 and Edge in 1956), Edge moved to ABC in 1975 and Search noved to NBC in 1982. [/quote]
 Huh. Din't know that.

My complaint still stands then :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

GS Warehouse

Millionaire Questions...
« Reply #64 on: February 06, 2004, 07:59:30 PM »
Try this one for size:

Which of the following late-70s female singers sang backup on Christopher Cross's Top 20 hit "Say You'll Be Mine"?
A) Stevie Nicks
B) Rickie Lee Jones
C) Nicolette Larson
D) Melissa Manchester

BrandonFG

Millionaire Questions...
« Reply #65 on: February 07, 2004, 11:21:55 AM »
With the last one going over so well, I'd like to try another one. Yeah, it's pop culture again, and it's probably simple if you're a) an Eastwood fan, and b) older than 25 or 30...

In the movie "Dirty Harry," what was the name of the psychotic killer who Clint Eastwood was tracking down?

A. Aquarius                                        B. Scorpio
C. Gemini                                          D. Leo

BTW, GSWitch was right with the last guess; it was "As The World Turns."
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

GSWitch

Millionaire Questions...
« Reply #66 on: February 07, 2004, 12:21:13 PM »
The famous "Wheel of Fortune" chimes to indicate the start of a puzzle was first heard on what other NBC game show?

A).  Celebrity Sweepstakes
B).  Stumpers
C).  It's Anybody's Guess
D).  Blank Check

TravisP

Millionaire Questions...
« Reply #67 on: February 07, 2004, 12:45:42 PM »
How about:

At what time (GMT) did Millionaire? first began in the UK in 1998?
A: 8.00pm
B: 8.30pm
C: 9.00pm
D: 9.30pm

Or

How much did the very first contestant win on the show:

A: £8,000
B: £16,000
C: £32,000
D: £125,000

Jimmy Owen

Millionaire Questions...
« Reply #68 on: February 07, 2004, 12:56:31 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Feb 7 2004, 11:21 AM\'] With the last one going over so well, I'd like to try another one. Yeah, it's pop culture again, and it's probably simple if you're a) an Eastwood fan, and b) older than 25 or 30...

In the movie "Dirty Harry," what was the name of the psychotic killer who Clint Eastwood was tracking down?

BTW, GSWitch was right with the last guess; it was "As The World Turns." [/quote]
 I guess with this question and all the lights and the excitement and the pressure to win a substantial amount of money, you can get a little confused with the choices, in fact I've kinda lost track myself.  This is one of those times you've got to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?  Well, do ya punk?
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

starcade

Millionaire Questions...
« Reply #69 on: February 07, 2004, 01:36:51 PM »
The succession question might be high tier-II, even on Meredith and former-Regis.

(BTW, poorly worded:  Third in line after the President is the Pro Tem of the Senate -- but third in line is the Speaker of the House.)

How about this for a tier-III sports question:

The only player to win the Super Bowl MVP for predominantly special teams play was a Heisman Trophy winner for what university:

A) Notre Dame
B) USC
C) Michigan
D) Miami FL

jalman

Millionaire Questions...
« Reply #70 on: February 07, 2004, 02:18:04 PM »
[quote name=\'starcade\' date=\'Feb 7 2004, 01:36 PM\'] The succession question might be high tier-II, even on Meredith and former-Regis.

(BTW, poorly worded:  Third in line after the President is the Pro Tem of the Senate -- but third in line is the Speaker of the House.)

How about this for a tier-III sports question:

The only player to win the Super Bowl MVP for predominantly special teams play was a Heisman Trophy winner for what university:

A) Notre Dame
B) USC
C) Michigan
D) Miami FL [/quote]
 Desmond Howard, Super Bowl XXXI, Michigan?

I don't know...that question somehow feels dodgy (for lack of a better word), as if kickoff returner is no less a "special" or possibly "important" position in football than quarterback.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Millionaire Questions...
« Reply #71 on: February 07, 2004, 03:10:54 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Feb 7 2004, 09:21 AM\'] In the movie "Dirty Harry," what was the name of the psychotic killer who Clint Eastwood was tracking down?

[/quote]
 It's not a MDQ. Too many people have seen Dirty Harry, and it's not like you're asking for obscure trivia about the movie, this is a MAJOR PLOT POINT.

However, since I've NOT seen it, I'd have to Google to find an answer.

It's an excellent question, just not a MDQ.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Kevin Prather

Millionaire Questions...
« Reply #72 on: February 07, 2004, 05:56:00 PM »
/ Which of the following phrases cannot be heard in the Beatles 1968 \
\_________________song "Revolution No. 9"?__________________/

------<A: May it serve you well>-----<B: And his voice was low>------
------<C: Get me out...............>-----<D: Block that kick.............>------

(This is REALLY obscure, but if you are a die-hard Beatles fan, or if you really think about it, you can figure it out.)

[EDIT: made a few corrections to the question. See next post.]
« Last Edit: February 07, 2004, 07:38:46 PM by whoserman »

tommycharles

Millionaire Questions...
« Reply #73 on: February 07, 2004, 07:05:14 PM »
[quote name=\'whoserman\' date=\'Feb 7 2004, 05:56 PM\'] / Which of the following phrases cannot be heard in the Beatles 1965 \
\_________________song "Revolution No. 9"?__________________/

------<A: May it serve you well>-----<B: And his eyes were low>------
------<C: Get me out...............>-----<D: Block that kick.............>------

(This is REALLY obscure, but if you are a die-hard Beatles fan, or if you really think about it, you can figure it out.) [/quote]
 Well, Whoserman, normally I'd prefer not to nitpick, but in the case of a MDQ, it's necessary: Revolution No. 9 was released and recorded in 1968, not '65.

As to the answer...well, you might have created a trick question (NEVER EVER DO THAT FOR A MILLION (OR TEN MILLION) DOLLAR QUESTION) here without realizing it.

"Block that kick" does appear in rev9, as does "and his voice was low", not his eyes.

So unless B is your answer, then the question is null and void anyhow.

Oh, and how exactly would you be able to figure this out "by really thinking about it"? It would definatly be something you know or you don't (immediately making it a crappy question - see the other post that's sort of on this topic) - I can see reciting something like "Hey Jude" or "We Will Rock You" or something to see if a phrase is in there, but no one in their right mind is going to be able to think through all of Revolution 9 in order to eliminate all the choices.

T

Kevin Prather

Millionaire Questions...
« Reply #74 on: February 07, 2004, 07:36:08 PM »
My fault. I took this from a lyrics page. I guess it was wrong.

The answer is C: Get me out, and the reason you can figure it out if you really think about it is you might remember one of the "Paul is dead" rumors. It says if you play Rev#9 backwards, you hear a scream, a fire, and a man yelling "GET ME OUT!!!" Needless to say it's not really there.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2004, 07:36:42 PM by whoserman »