Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: TPIR Poll (?)  (Read 18632 times)

Don Howard

TPIR Poll (?)
« Reply #75 on: December 30, 2008, 09:27:45 PM »
[quote name=\'J.R.\' post=\'205058\' date=\'Dec 30 2008, 01:58 PM\']
/Isn't calling someone a "jerk" against the rules?
[/quote]
Your answer here.....
5. Distasteful Posts
Posts deemed to be offensive, in generally bad taste or inflammatory in nature, will subject the author to disciplinary action. Posting messages which are harrassing, insulting, belittling or derisive to other board member(s), or which incite personal attacks against other board member(s), will be considered grounds for disciplinary action. A pattern of excessive and gratuitous use of foul language shall constitute grounds for disciplinary action.

To topic now, please don't get rid of any games or Showcases offering a spa. I do not wish to be deprived of the opportunity to observe model skin.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
TPIR Poll (?)
« Reply #76 on: December 30, 2008, 09:48:05 PM »
No, Rich Fields does NOT have to mention the Bob Barker studio. It is a paean to a vain tyrant who is now gone.

"Get ready to match the stars." A short line like that is all you need to get the show started.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
TPIR Poll (?)
« Reply #77 on: December 30, 2008, 09:53:34 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'205115\' date=\'Dec 30 2008, 06:48 PM\']
"Get ready to match the stars." A short line like that is all you need to get the show started.[/quote]
Won't that confuse the audience?

/why don't we do the same thing, but with gophers?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Don Howard

TPIR Poll (?)
« Reply #78 on: December 30, 2008, 09:55:31 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'205115\' date=\'Dec 30 2008, 09:48 PM\']
"Get ready to match the stars." A short line like that is all you need to get the show started.
[/quote]
Absolutely correct. "Here it comes! Television's most exciting hour...." blah blah blah worked for how long on its own? Long, long time.

Casey Buck

TPIR Poll (?)
« Reply #79 on: December 30, 2008, 10:28:34 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' post=\'205117\' date=\'Dec 30 2008, 06:55 PM\'] [quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'205115\' date=\'Dec 30 2008, 09:48 PM\']
[/quote]
Absolutely correct. "Here it comes! Television's most exciting hour...." blah blah blah worked for how long on its own? Long, long time. [/quote]How about: "Here it comes! From Television City in Hollywood, a fortune in fabulous prizes may go to these people today, if they know when The Price is Right!"?

It's sort of a hybrid of the original half-hour version opening spiel, and the current opening spiel.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2008, 10:35:18 PM by Casey Buck »

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
TPIR Poll (?)
« Reply #80 on: December 30, 2008, 10:41:54 PM »
[quote name=\'CarShark\' post=\'205042\' date=\'Dec 30 2008, 02:39 AM\']But I'm not arguing that at all. I'm arguing against your point that solely because of it's age means it's good or somehow worthy of not being retired.[/quote]Except I haven't been doing that. I've been refuting your arguments, and waiting for you to come back with some sort of rebuttal. And instead I get ducking, topic changes and rhetorical dodges. It's to the point where I can't follow anything that you're saying, because your posts are all over the place.

Frankly, I still do.
No, you don't have anything won. You coin phrases like "intellectual tap-dancing" that have no meaning at all except to you because you want to appeal against experts. And worse yet is that you close with this:
Either say what you really mean or don't say anything at all.
You should amend that to "Say what you mean, mean what you say, but in my case you must also read my mind."
« Last Edit: December 30, 2008, 10:42:34 PM by TLEberle »
Travis L. Eberle

CarShark

TPIR Poll (?)
« Reply #81 on: December 31, 2008, 12:13:20 AM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'205119\' date=\'Dec 30 2008, 10:41 PM\']
[quote name=\'CarShark\' post=\'205042\' date=\'Dec 30 2008, 02:39 AM\']But I'm not arguing that at all. I'm arguing against your point that solely because of it's age means it's good or somehow worthy of not being retired.[/quote]Except I haven't been doing that. I've been refuting your arguments, and waiting for you to come back with some sort of rebuttal. And instead I get ducking, topic changes and rhetorical dodges. It's to the point where I can't follow anything that you're saying, because your posts are all over the place.[/quote]We must not be talking about the same thing, because I couldn't possibly be any more clear than I was just then. You haven't refuted anything. You just made a lame joke.

Getting back to the original point, dropping a game or two to free up time seems to be the best way to balance the time issues with the change in atmosphere to a less stuffy, more modern party-like show. The best way I see to get that is through more contestant interaction, more playings of longer (and often more popular) games and really making the Showcases memorable. I can only hope that someone in charge realizes that The Price Is Right's "history" and "tradition" can be it's biggest asset, but can also be it's biggest liability. How can the show (and its staff) ever move forward if they're preoccupied with looking back?

EDIT-Another good thing could be that with two fewer games to schedule, that might help alleviate some of the pressure the budget is apparently suffering under.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2008, 12:58:36 AM by CarShark »

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
TPIR Poll (?)
« Reply #82 on: December 31, 2008, 12:43:48 AM »
[quote name=\'CarShark\' post=\'205134\' date=\'Dec 30 2008, 09:13 PM\']We must not be talking about the same thing, because I couldn't possibly be any more clear than I was just then. You haven't refuted anything. You just made a lame joke.[/quote]You couldn't possibly make this any easier for me, because you're illustrating my very point by your very lack of rigor. My comment, while made in jest, had a point. Every post of mine in the thread has had a point, even if you want to dismiss it as a "lame joke". (The very fact that you understood and attempted to "refute" my "joke" means it wasn't all that lame at all, because it illustrated my position. You haven't even been able to reliably do that.)

In every response you have posted, you have ducked or dodged those points that were directed squarely at you, which you realized because you replied, and yet you said nothing at all each time. You have at times said nothing, said several things, and simultaneously held conflicting opinions without a care in the world.

Do you actually read anything that someone else posts, or is this just your sandbox for random ramblings? If the latter is true, then stop the ride because I want to get off.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2008, 12:44:30 AM by TLEberle »
Travis L. Eberle

CarShark

TPIR Poll (?)
« Reply #83 on: December 31, 2008, 02:12:40 AM »
I've read my posts again. I've read your posts again. I'm not intentionally trying to be obtuse or anything, but it appears that I'm confused as to what you mean. All I'm saying at the end of the day is that:

1) The show would be better with four IUFBs and Pricing Games and one Showdown. (more interaction, better games, feeling less rushed)

2) I haven't decided whether I think one or two Showcases with one or two contestants would be best, but I'm leaning currently towards one and one, because one Showcase is usually not very desirable. I would like the secret bid idea proposed earlier if two contestants with one Showcase was used.

3) I don't think Contestants' Row is as important as you think it is. I think it's just a place where people make their $420s and $69s and $1337s or one dollar over someone else. I think it's a bit stale, in general.

4) IMO, the shorter games on the show are currently used to make sure that six games are played each day. (i.e. if they want to play Plinko and Pocket Change, they're going to need Double Prices and Most Expensive, also)

4a) IF TPIR went to 4 IUFBs and 4 Games they wouldn't need the quicker games as much, if at all.

4b) Even though the quick games may be "the truest tests of pricing skill", as you said, I don't think that the average viewer really gets excited by them. If The Powers That Be think along the same lines, they might think that since they don't need to play short games anymore to fill a six-game line-up, they no longer have an upside, so they'll stop playing them. I also think that if they were to stop playing Double Prices and Most Expensive and all the rest, the average viewer would not react negatively to the change.

5) When I made the "Just because something existed 30 years ago doesn't mean it should still exist now.", I specifically meant that if the show doesn't need to play quick games to stay on schedule, I don't see the harm in not playing them anymore. It may have been considered necessary back in the 70s, and if it isn't now, then age shouldn't be a determining factor in whether they continue to play the game. That's all I meant. This is where the confusion stems from, I believe, because I then (incorrectly) thought that you were saying that the age of a game should determine whether they keep it or not. I do dislike most of the quickies, but I do because they aren't interesting, not because they are old.

5a) Veering slightly off-course, when you made that reference to Logan's Run, I thought you were saying that "CarShark believes that old=bad in all cases all the time", which seemed extreme to me. I don't believe that at all, but I do believe that if you keep too many things the same for too long a time, it can make things feel a bit stale. I don't necessarily like the way Wheel of Fortune has progressed over the years gameplay-wise, but I do like the way they've modernized the set. Video walls, video scoreboards, digital puzzleboard. But the secret is that they did it one piece at a time, so more "conservative" fans didn't get overwhelmed. When urbanpreppie frequently posted here, he mentioned this often, as well. I don't see why TPIR doing the same would hurt it the way more "conservative" fans of the show think it would. In fact, I think it would better attract younger, more casual fans than the current collection of 20-odd-year-old electromechanical technology. During the time that the latest batch of Million Dollar Spectaculars were airing, TheKid over at GSN Boards noted that some of the older games, like Clock Game and Bonus Game didn't look fresh in high-definition. To me, that reflects badly on the show in a way the average viewer actually would notice.

I really hoped this cleared things up, Travis. I don't really understand how our discussion got to the point it has, because it certainly seems that we agree on more than we originally thought. :)
« Last Edit: December 31, 2008, 02:18:13 AM by CarShark »

DrJWJustice

TPIR Poll (?)
« Reply #84 on: January 02, 2009, 01:02:23 AM »
[quote name=\'Casey Buck\' post=\'204719\' date=\'Dec 25 2008, 10:45 PM\']
Unless CBS gives TPiR back a few minutes of commercial time (which has no chance in hell of happening), there's simply no way to prevent the show (with its current six game/six One Bid/two Showcase Showdown format) from being rushed.

Now, there are three possible options to change the format that would reduce the rushing, but none of them are pretty. They could either:

A) Eliminate Contestant's Row, and have the called-down contestants come up on stage, (like TNPiR'94)

B) Eliminate the Showcase Showdowns, and have the top two pricing game winners advance to the showcase (like the half-hour shows).

or, C) Play four pricing games and four One Bids, instead of six, and have two players in each Showcase Showdown, instead of three. (Five One Bids and five pricing games wouldn't work, because one Showcase Showdown would have two contestants, and one would have three, which would be awkward.)
[/quote]

(snip)

SHHHHHH!!!  Don't give Freemantle any ideas!  Don't do it!  It's hazardous to the health of the game show genre!

Seriously, Drew's looking a lot better than he did this time last year.  I really enjoyed watching the holiday shows this year.  He's found his own way to interact with the contestants that's friendly, not robotic, and I still feel the show is in good hands with him at the helm.  They tweaked the money prizes in a positive direction and rid themselves of some older games that needed to be retired a long time ago, and I'd say let's leave it at that.  No disrespect to Roger intended here, and he is missed.

Steve Gavazzi

TPIR Poll (?)
« Reply #85 on: January 02, 2009, 11:55:18 AM »
[quote name=\'DrJWJustice\' post=\'205347\' date=\'Jan 2 2009, 01:02 AM\']They tweaked the money prizes in a positive direction and rid themselves of some older games that needed to be retired a long time ago, and I'd say let's leave it at that.[/quote]
You make it sound here like they've retired a bunch of games this season.  As far as I know, that isn't the case (although some of them certainly haven't been played in a while).

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
TPIR Poll (?)
« Reply #86 on: January 02, 2009, 01:45:17 PM »
I fail to see where "some" = "a bunch."
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Steve Gavazzi

TPIR Poll (?)
« Reply #87 on: January 02, 2009, 10:40:17 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'205372\' date=\'Jan 2 2009, 01:45 PM\']I fail to see where "some" = "a bunch."[/quote]
And I'm not sure how it was supposed to be construed as anything else.  Regardless, though, the notion is incorrect.

CarShark

TPIR Poll (?)
« Reply #88 on: January 03, 2009, 04:07:26 AM »
I'm pretty sure "some" is more than "few" but much smaller than "several" or "a bunch". What round of Words Have Meanings are we in? :)

I think it's unusual any time the show retires a game, since they are so loath to do so. They're more likely to mess with the rules, sometimes for better (Dice Game), sometimes not (Pass the Buck). It seems like they've been retiring more recently, and for reasons not readily apparent to me. Hit Me was gone early Season 35. Joker and Poker Game were both gone in Season 36, which still surprises me, after the whole Pricing Game Un-Survivor debacle that sprouted in the gs community towards the end of the season. Buy Or Sell just dropped off the face of the earth, it seems. I guess what makes their retirements more unusual or noteworthy is that they were all on the show for a while. Usually, when a game isn't working out, it's gone in a year or two. (Time Is Money, On The Spot) Hit Me suddenly became too confusing over 20 years after it debuted.

I'm kind of surprised that Card Game didn't get retired when they did all the fiddling with the ranges and starting values a couple years back. I'm still waiting for what Drew will say when a contestant pulls the $5000 card and stops immediately without drawing any cards and wins. :) Inflation has not been kind to this game. I thought low winning percentages would kill That's TOO Much! and my personal favorite, 1/2 Off, as well.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2009, 04:37:57 AM by CarShark »